Replacing Coffee-Grinder Beacon and Belly Strobe

I know this is a tired topic, but I've searched, read, and am still confused.  Sorry.

I have a '68 M20F with the original Coffee Grinder beacon on top (LOUD), and a strobe on the belly.  I have wingtip position lights and a tail light (white).

My question is this:

Can I replace the belly strobe and top beacon with wingtip position/strobe lights and a strobe in the tail?

These are the mooney parts from Whelen:

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System Requirements/Mooney.pdf

I'd love to get rid of the top and bottom beacon/strobe, and just have it all in the wingtip/tail.

1) What parts to order?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/orion650series.php?clickkey=1089122

2) What about the tail identification light? (And do I need a strobe in the tail, or just a light?)

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/el/ledlighting_tail/whelen14volt.php . ??

3) Do the LED strobes need to be synchronized?
4) What do I close up the holes top and bottom with?
5) Why is this so difficult?

Thanks!

image.png

IMG_1514.jpeg

This is a well-worn topic.  I'd love to get rid of my coffee grinder, myself, but the prices on replacement options are too expensive for this cb.  Interestingly enough, my coffee grinder doesn't grind too loudly.

Because you are pre-August 10, 1971, you are required to have 100 effective candela aviation red or white 360 degrees around the vertical axis, 30 deg above and below the horizontal plain.  They raised the requirement to 400 candela from 71-77 and now have required that it be 75 degree above and below the horizontal plain.

As far as I can tell, there are a number of ways to fulfill the requirements for our planes:

I personally would want to achieve at least the 400 effective candela.  Compliance can be accomplished by 1 strobe on top of the tail fin, two wing-tip strobes that extend beyond the wingtips (are not in wingtip fairings), if you have wingtip fairings, then another strobe on the tail or vertical fin is required,  Finally, you could just upgrade your current top and bottom system and be ok as well.

To me, the other issue is redundancy.  I would not like to be flying around with a broken/burned out light and thereby be grounded at night.  Therefore, I have retained the coffee grinder, though it is no longer required.

image.png

1 hour ago, hmasing said:

Can I replace the belly strobe and top beacon with wingtip position/strobe lights and a strobe in the tail?

Less than that, you can replace the belly strobe and top beacon with just wingtip position/strobe lights.  No need of a strobe in the tail.

1 hour ago, hmasing said:

1) What parts to order?

It seems those would work, but I will not venture to be able to tell you finally.

2) What about the tail identification light? (And do I need a strobe in the tail, or just a light?)

It would seem from Whelen's work that a tail strobe is not necessary for compliance.

3) Do the LED strobes need to be synchronized?

They do not as far as I understand.  I have heard suggestions that when they are synchronized they are harder to see.

4) What do I close up the holes top and bottom with?

Duct tape...  ;)  you will need to make or have made aluminum patches somewhat similar to our inspection panels.

5) Why is this so difficult?

for me...  AMUs.  I don't know why for you.  Call Whelen if those are the lights you are interested in.   I'm sure they can direct you better than I can.

PP Thoughts, So take them with a grain of salt...  perhaps a salt block.

1) These are what I used for the  same job. Only difference is that you want  OR6501G, OR6501R if you don't have enclosed wingtips like I do.  

image.thumb.png.44741fcae0d5945c496abc8332d7be31.png

2) Unlike me I think you're good to go with just the wing tip lights unless you have enclosed tips.  If you're going with LED strobes though, it's tempting to go all the way at once and never have to replace a bulb again. 

image.thumb.png.79a5104dc1df2f3ba55247cf31edc0d7.png

3) No it's mainly a style point.  I think your installer has to run a wire from wingtip to wingtip.   It added minimal extra labor for me when the plane was already opened up at annual so I did this. So do it at annual if you're cheap like me.

4) My A&P had to fabricate and install a cover for the hole (I just had the belly beacon).   Looks like you will need two of these these.  The top one merits being sealed very carefully to prevent future water leaks.

5) It's no biggie.  You will gain at least ten knots, and women will find you even more attractive than they already do when you pull up on the ramp :lol:

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 75 F had the coffee grinder on the bottom and nothing on the top. If you elect to keep one and convert it to a strobe, I would keep the lower one. I think a top strobe is a bit annoying at night (reflecting off of the prop and wings).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro