for all the CBs out there SS or FS fuel

Fuel costs  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is your SS fuel over FS fuel break point?

• $20 - $30
    • $30 - $40
    • $40 - $50
    • > $50

Ok

So you are flying to an airport and you have accepted the published prices for fuel and tie down.

Tie down $20 / night

SS fuel $5.20 -  $166.40 tie down $80  total  $246.4

FS fuel $7.16 -  $229.12 tie down $60 total $289.12

The difference is $42

At what point do you get FS over SS fuel.

$20 - $30

$30 - $40

$40 - $50

Over $50

You need 32 gallons and you are staying 3 to 4 nights one night waived with FS fuel but not necessarily with SS fuel.

Ouch, that's a big swing in the SS/FS price. At my home it is a 10 cent difference so I just have the truck come by the hangar, but at a couple dollars a gallon I'm going to pump my own fuel all day long.

If it's a poll towards the CB in all of us, I think you need a lower bracket of $5-10. Under $5 I'll grab the FS, more than that and I'm probably pumping it myself.

• Like 1

I can't call it a safety issue, but I prefer to pump my own fuel so I know exactly how "full" it is if I am filling it. Otherwise if I can't, I'll be sure to be present so I can work with line personnel to get it filled to my standard - especially if I am adding fuel to the extended tanks.

But if it's only a minimal amount to defer FBO fees I don't really care and will let the FBO add the 10-15 gal whenever it's convenient for them.

But for sure when the differential gets to be over .25 cents and I am putting on a substantial amount - say 30+, that is plenty of incentive to go SS. But it's my desire to be a part of the fueling process that takes on a greater priority no matter the differential.

Sitting right seat with many Mooney pilots, I observe our community of pilots fills the entire spectrum. Some will ask for FS without caring what the difference is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Same here.  I pump it myself if given the option regardless of price.  Then I know there will be no misfueling or paint damage, the tanks will be at the level I want, and the caps will be properly installed.  The fewer hands other than my own that touch my airplane the better as far as I am concerned.  

Jim

Yep.

• Like 2

I've never had an FBO decline to waive fees if I purchase fuel from the self-serve pump. 

(The only caveat is that you've got to buy fuel from the FBO you're parking at.. sometimes the place I want to park doesn't have self-serve, and then it's a painful choice for a CB.)

I prefer to do it myself to get what I expect... doesn’t take much time... effort... or any additional mess...

really cool to have FS pumps for the car... a NJ special... no SS...   no gas aroma on your hands when you get to work... :)

Find George’s fuel card (business card) he had a nice way of getting the right service for his bird posted on a business card...

probably included towing limit instructions too...

Best regards,

-a-