69 Panel upgrade

JimB

Does anyone have a 1969 model that they have upgraded that they would like to show off with some pictures? I am planning an upgrade (G5s, EDM-900, audio panel, GPS, etc) and making some changes to my 69 F model and trying to come up with some ideas. The switches/annuciator lights/gear handle right in the middle of the panel as well as some of the other unique differences of the 69 panel are making my plans difficult.

Thanks, 

So not the best picture but here is what I have to work with. The DG is spinning it's way to a slow death and the Britain B6 AP is not functional right now. I am going to work on the AP but there isn't a lot of support for it right now, so we will see. 

I plan to install a JPI EDM 900. Also going in with a G5 AI and HSI with the thought of a GFC500 when it gets certified for the F model if I can't get the PC AP to work. The GNC 300XL and old Narco TX will get replaced with the new GNX 375 and a GTR 225. And she will get a a new GMA 345. I plan to keep the old Narco MK12D for the time being. Who says I need any help spending money!! :)

This should clean out all the old engine/fuel gauges, EGT gauge, the GNC 300 annunciator/APPR ARM switches, the PMA3000 intercom and eliminate one of the CDIs. My thought would be to extend the rack up a bit and be able to fit all the radios, audio panel, AP and GNX in the middle or put the Narco over to the right of the rack where the TX is. Then move the row of switches, annunciator lights and gear handle up maybe an inch along with the remaining GS/LC CDI. Then I could fit the JPI just to the left of the rack under those items. Or I can just put the JPI to right where the RPM/MP gauges are. Concerns are clearance in the back of the panel.

Thoughts?

20190223_103533.jpg

Have you seen @Marauder's panel in his 74F? The biggest difference I see between your panel and his old one is that you have the same round throttle that's in my 1970 C, while he has the pistol-grip throttle with machine gun button on top.

Oh, there is also @Bob_Belville's E, but he doesn't have a quadrant--poor man has to scrape by with push-pull controls and vernier twist knobs.  ;)

33 minutes ago, Hank said:

Have you seen @Marauder's panel in his 74F? The biggest difference I see between your panel and his old one is that you have the same round throttle that's in my 1970 C, while he has the pistol-grip throttle with machine gun button on top.

Oh, there is also @Bob_Belville's E, but he doesn't have a quadrant--poor man has to scrape by with push-pull controls and vernier twist knobs.  ;)

There is a significant change between the 74 and 75 F model panels. The 75 models have a 201 style panel. His picture looks like a 74 style panel. Here is what an original 75 looks like.

Cockpit3.thumb.jpg.982790fcb521dc5e5d974d12a92934b1.jpg

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

Those are nice changes you're making. I'd talk with the avionics shop. You're at the point where I'd have a new panel made and laid out in a more conventional and practical format. 

Agree - at some point, the changes and their related cost become significant enough that it makes sense to start with a clean sheet.  I think my shop charged me ~1.5 amu to design, cut, paint, and install a whole new panel around my desired new setup. A new panel may even save a few install hours needed to struggle with retrofitting to the old panel.  And the final results will probably look much cleaner.  

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I would not think that the quadrant would make much of a difference when laying out a new panel. And I'm pretty certain that the steel cage tubing behind the panel is the same for all the mid short and mid bodies. So while the panel support may need to be modified for a new panel I would not think that would be a big issue.

IOW, if you like where radios or instruments are in another vintage panel you should be able to copy that.

Here's an old '66E which has little resemblance to the original panel. (If you chose to put the EDM to the right, where the tach and MAP you might want to spend a little more for the larger 930. I think that's one of the best choices I made.) 

IMG_20190129_142744166.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I have learned a valuable lesson. When you want input, post pictures! :)

The general layout I am not really having a hard time with. Really just trying to get ideas from others that have either moved the switches and lights to another location or left them in the same spot. I need the engine monitor/analyzer and the transponder for ADS-B out. Since I am going to be in the panel and taking things apart/changing things I figured I might as well jump in with both feet. I do plan to make a whole new panel and replace the old one with the cracked up plastic overlay and shock mount at the top. I am the A&P/IA that will be doing all of this and the installation of all the avionics. I have not started taking things apart yet to see what structure behind the panel I may have to deal with but I am thoroughly enjoying researhing and looking at all the great panels on this site. 

I am also finding the old Brittain AP interesting. The one I have has a dial to select your heading and an old heading/magentometer hanging from the top of the aft equipment bay. I also have 4 of the vacuum servos in the tail and a bunch of vacuum lines running all though the aircraft. I was reading in the manuals where you have to set the heading zone you are in and mine appears to have at one point been able to capture and fly a LOC and it has the ALT hold. Kind of cool in a 1960s sort of way. Now if I can get it working, I'd really think it was cool