64 C interior pulled - let the fun begin!

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread with interest.   A couple of questions come up, as we're thinking about redoing the interior of our '67C.

The back seat is out, as are the wall coverings in the baggage compartment.   My bird still has the old-style ELT.  If one were to prep for upgrading to the newer style that is connected to the GPS (430W), what wires need run?

Regarding insulation, what is a good 1/2" thick closed-cell material?

Thx.

17 minutes ago, Fred₂O said:

Reading this thread with interest.   A couple of questions come up, as we're thinking about redoing the interior of our '67C.

The back seat is out, as are the wall coverings in the baggage compartment.   My bird still has the old-style ELT.  If one were to prep for upgrading to the newer style that is connected to the GPS (430W), what wires need run?

Regarding insulation, what is a good 1/2" thick closed-cell material?

Thx.

I put this in my plane, 1/2".

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/supersoundproofsheet.php

I'm not sure about the properties of reducing sound, but for temperature it makes a difference. Flying in the summer the plastic panels would be hot to the touch on the side the sun was shining from, with this they stay cool to the touch.

Edit: 3M makes a spray adhesive which is probably easier to work with than weatherstrip adhesive or the like.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, Skates97 said:

I put this in my plane, 1/2".

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/supersoundproofsheet.php

I'm not sure about the properties of reducing sound, but for temperature it makes a difference. Flying in the summer the plastic panels would be hot to the touch on the side the sun was shining from, with this they stay cool to the touch.

Edit: 3M makes a spray adhesive which is probably easier to work with than weatherstrip adhesive or the like.

Hey Rich, can you tell me about how many lineal ft. did it take?  I don't want to order too much.  Thx.

2 hours ago, Fred₂O said:

Hey Rich, can you tell me about how many lineal ft. did it take?  I don't want to order too much.  Thx.

Looks like when AS updated their website you can still pull up your orders but it does not list what was on the order. I don't remember who much I ordered but I have the invoices at the hangar, I'll look through them tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Looks like when AS updated their website you can still pull up your orders but it does not list what was on the order. I don't remember who much I ordered but I have the invoices at the hangar, I'll look through them tomorrow. 

I can see orders and invoice from 2 years ago on my PC...not sure I like the new site, it kinda sucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

I can see orders and invoice from 2 years ago on my PC...not sure I like the new site, it kinda sucks

I can see orders going back 2 1/2 years, order number, date, and amount, but only a few actually say what is in the order. I like the old site better, I think it was more functional. 

2 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I can see orders going back 2 1/2 years, order number, date, and amount, but only a few actually say what is in the order. I like the old site better, I think it was more functional. 

click on the order number, will show what was on that order, from there you can print the invoice seeing Spruce only sends a packing list which doesn't have prices

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RLCarter said:

click on the order number, will show what was on that order, from there you can print the invoice seeing Spruce only sends a packing list which doesn't have prices

Looks like the old site is back (at least for now) and I can see full information on the orders.

21 hours ago, Fred₂O said:

I found the old orders. I initially ordered 5' (it is 48" wide) to do the ceiling while I was repairing the fresh air duct. It which was more than enough to do the ceiling. I probably could have done it with 4'.

About a year later I ordered another 4' and did the sides and the ceiling above the baggage area. When it had SB 208 done the insulation that was used looks like a very thin styrofoam type material and it was only along the lower half of the sides. The upper part of the sides (just under the windows) had what was basically paper with some reflective material which seemed to provide little to no insulating properties. This made a huge difference in the comfort of the cabin and the temperature of the interior trim when you touch it.

If you are wanting to do the entire cabin I think that 8' would get the job done, probably even 7'. It is really easy to trim with a pair of scissors and keep in mind that doing the sides you don't need a big continuous piece as you are going to trim it to fit in the spaces between the tubes for the cage so just keep all the scraps as you go along and you will have very little waste.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Looks like the old site is back (at least for now) and I can see full information on the orders.

I found the old orders. I initially ordered 5' (it is 48" wide) to do the ceiling while I was repairing the fresh air duct. It which was more than enough to do the ceiling. I probably could have done it with 4'.

About a year later I ordered another 4' and did the sides and the ceiling above the baggage area. When it had SB 208 done the insulation that was used looks like a very thin styrofoam type material and it was only along the lower half of the sides. The upper part of the sides (just under the windows) had what was basically paper with some reflective material which seemed to provide little to no insulating properties. This made a huge difference in the comfort of the cabin and the temperature of the interior trim when you touch it.

If you are wanting to do the entire cabin I think that 8' would get the job done, probably even 7'. It is really easy to trim with a pair of scissors and keep in mind that doing the sides you don't need a big continuous piece as you are going to trim it to fit in the spaces between the tubes for the cage so just keep all the scraps as you go along and you will have very little waste.

Thanks Rich.  I ordered 7'.  Should do it.  I appreciate you sharing your experience.

• Like 1