South Carolina Airport Recommendations

I’m flying down to Rock Hill South Carolina next month with Mrs. Marauder (the skinny one) for a wedding. I found two airports in the vicinity. One is KUZA but when I checked for fees they were $50/night for a Mooney! The other airport is KDCM which has no over night fees but is a little further out and one runway is listed in poor condition.

Anyone have experience with either of these airports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I fly in and out of Rock Hill all of the time as an instructor.  Pretty nice airport.  Didn’t realize it had such an outrageous fee.  The other possibility is Monroe (KEQY) just over the border in NC or Lancaster (KLKR). Where is the wedding?  

Wedding is in Rock Hill. Lancaster has a $50/night fee as well. Waived with fuel purchase for the first night.

Monroe has more reasonable overnight rates at $10/night.

Must be a pretty popular area to command those overnight fees.

• Like 1

KEQY is very nice, or was when I last visited. It's now "Charlotte Executive," under the Bravo shelf, complete with some very nice jets. Leaving at dusk and heading north under the Bravo is a beautiful route. Never been to the two you asked about . . . .

• Like 1

Do they waive any parking with fuel?  $50 sucks, but it may be worth it for the convenience.

KUZA doesn’t look like they waive anything. Only Lancaster shows a waiver for one night with fuel. Otherwise it is $50 a night as well.

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

I’m flying down to Rock Hill South Carolina next month with Mrs. Marauder (the skinny one) for a wedding. I found two airports in the vicinity. One is KUZA but when I checked for fees they were $50/night for a Mooney! The other airport is KDCM which has no over night fees but is a little further out and one runway is listed in poor condition.

Anyone have experience with either of these airports?

Your finally making her an honorable gal, good for you

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

KUZA doesn’t look like they waive anything. Only Lancaster shows a waiver for one night with fuel. Otherwise it is $50 a night as well.

I fly into UZA regularly.  The In-laws live there. They typically waive the overnight fee when I buy gas.  I haven't stayed more than one night so I can't say any more than I've never paid an overnight fee and I've always bought gas.  Their gas is cheaper than my home airport so I don't mind.

• Like 1

8A6. Should be cheaper fuel, $5/night tie down. About the same distance to Rock Hill as Monroe.  

Landing is a little more fun. VFR under the Bravo.

I have not been in there since I picked up Dr. Bill Heybruck's Mooney a couple of years ago...

• Like 1

I fly into UZA regularly.  The In-laws live there. They typically waive the overnight fee when I buy gas.  I haven't stayed more than one night so I can't say any more than I've never paid an overnight fee and I've always bought gas.  Their gas is cheaper than my home airport so I don't mind.

There seems to be some confusing information being put out there. Garmin Pilot posts FBO fees which I think are based on AOPA data. Skytech is an FBO that I have used at KDMW. I didn’t realize the two were connected. Never was charged a fee overnight at the one in the north if I bought gas. Garmin Pilot shows these fees.

25d3fa2dbf67e1ae9fc66be9c470bb50.jpg

Was surprised to see these prices for a Mooney. They also show similar prices for Beeches, Piper’s and Cessnas.

8A6. Should be cheaper fuel, $5/night tie down. About the same distance to Rock Hill as Monroe.  
I have not been in there since I picked up Dr. Bill Heybruck's Mooney a couple of years ago...

I’ll check it out. Thanks.

EQY is almost always cheaper and 8a6 is further from rock hill.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

EQY is almost always cheaper and 8a6 is further from rock hill.

Monroe would be my choice over Wilgrove, particularly if weather is other than VFR, and if it turns out that the Rock Hill fees are real. You should confirm with a phone call.

Stop by MRN and check us out, particularly if it's Fri or Mon to meet AGL folks. Lynn might be around on a Saturday if he knows you're coming...

• Like 1