Where is my strobe power supply?

So my A&P/IA  gave me the go ahead to install my own SkyBeacon.   My old nav light also had a Whelen strobe connected with it.  I'm aware I need to connect the SkyBeacon strobe to the 12v instead of the high voltage coming from the power supply.  But, where is the power supply located?  I took off the outer wing inspection plate hoping that it would be there, but no luck,  it's somewhere back at/near the fuselage.  With so many screw in each inspection plate, I'd rather know where to look instead of taking the plane apart until I find it.

In order to keep flying, I just left the SkyBeacon strobe disconnected for now and only connected the nav light.  Once I find out where the power supply is, I should be able to splice into the 12v at the power supply and reuse one of the wires that is already going out to the wingtip for the Whelen strobe to power the SkyBeacon strobe.

Something may be getting lost in the translation...

I believe the beacon works on 12v.   Two sources, if you want to separate the nav from the strobe...

Why would you want to involve the old Whelen’s power supply?

Or are you just trying to eliminate it and use its wires...

There is at least one good thread around here regarding installation strategies for the ‘beacon’ a few have been installed recently.

+1 on Kmac’s method on finding things mounted to inspection panels...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Something may be getting lost in the translation...

I believe the beacon works on 12v.   Two sources, if you want to separate the nav from the strobe...

Why would you want to involve the old Whelen’s power supply?

Or are you just trying to eliminate it and use its wires...

There is at least one good thread around here regarding installation strategies for the ‘beacon’ a few have been installed recently.

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

I believe he is attempting to have the skybeacon strobe come on with the strobe switch.   The skybeacon, though,  has a toggle for the strobe through the app so if he had the nav and strobe powered through the nav light he could toggle on and off his strobe as he wishes.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Could be on an inspection plate with extra screws visible...mine was.

If the plate has been painted over heavily, it might be hard to see the screws.  Knocking on each plate should find it, like checking for a ripe watermelon :) 

Just don't try opening a fuel tank access panel! :o

4 hours ago, Kmac said:

I believe he is attempting to have the skybeacon strobe come on with the strobe switch.   The skybeacon, though,  has a toggle for the strobe through the app so if he had the nav and strobe powered through the nav light he could toggle on and off his strobe as he wishes.  

Yes, I want both strobes to come on when I flip the strobe switch and neither when I flip the navigation light switch.  That’s pretty cool that you can control the strobe with the app, but it seems like a real PITA when it could just be wired correctly to begin with.

I’ll look for an inspection plate with extra screws.

Just now, skydvrboy said:

Yes, if you shut off the nav lights (or forget to turn them on) the ADS-B is also shut off.  I specifically wanted this for formation flying, when only the lead plane should be squawking.

Beat me to it

13 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Yes, if you shut off the nav lights (or forget to turn them on) the ADS-B is also shut off.  I specifically wanted this for formation flying, when only the lead plane should be squawking.

Is that true for formation flying?  I thought with ADS-B the FAA guidance was to leave it on at all times?  I can understand there being an issue with Mode C transponders, since all aircraft in formation will send their information simultaneously, but with ADS-B the signal from the formation aircraft will all be asynchronous and shouldn't conflict (except for on the screen).

There's an article here that is sort of related:

https://generalaviationnews.com/2018/04/11/aerobatics-and-ads-b/

They suggest that formation aircraft can turn off their ADS-B transponders in formation, but ONLY if authorized by ATC in advance.  They don't quote any regulatory info, though...

Also, how would you fly formation at night if you had to turn off your position lights? :P

My wingtip strobe power supplies were a few inpection panels in from the wingtip.

And +1 to wiring it all up correctly. Stobe switch to strobes, not nav light switch to nav + strobe.

One big peeve of mine is GA pilots who do not mind their strobe use on the ground, it can really blind other people. Save them for when in flight, or when entering a runway.

• Like 1