8 Zircs per main gear; I don't believe you ;)

Here are main gear pictures, with recent grease from my 70-day, no-owner-assist-allowed, zero-communication annual oozing out of them. It was all very clear on the creeper, less so looking at the pictures . . . .

20190415_182006.thumb.jpg.0318640d4d7c94cef1cfc73e72c7be44.jpg

20190415_181649.thumb.jpg.a3a6be7d0f306cd70cfc518153139973.jpg

20190415_181724.thumb.jpg.31e61b23c1c223d800950e73f9a4e24a.jpg

20190415_181757.thumb.jpg.2e7eb92e6dfc35cdca5028306da74209.jpg

20190415_181843.thumb.jpg.c3190b6011e6ea246911be38610bfe95.jpg

The last one is behind the tire, looking aft.

Wait a minute, am I crazy for posting pictures of my less-than-show-ready airplane on thus site??? Be nice, guys . . . . I'm trying to be helpful here!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2019 at 6:21 PM, TheTurtle said:

I went out to the bird to try to track down the elusive 8 zircs per main gear.  I can only find 6.  Can somebody give me a hint on where the other 2 are?

Since I havent found pics of the zircs on this site I figured I would start a gallery on how to find your zircs.  Ill do the nose after I find that last 2 on the main.

I circled with question marks the only places I thought there should be a zirc but couldnt find one or even a hole where one should be.  

My #4 zirc is missing.  Ive replaced it once but looks like it got yanked out at annual again.

While I was on the creeper, I took nose gear zirc photos, too. All 11 of them. Let me know if you need them.

22 minutes ago, Hank said:

While I was on the creeper, I took nose gear zirc photos, too. All 11 of them. Let me know if you need them.

definitely.  Im going to go find all of them next weekend and finally knock this off my todo list.

34 minutes ago, Hank said:

Here are main gear pictures, with recent grease from my 70-day, no-owner-assist-allowed, zero-communication annual oozing out of them. It was all very clear on the creeper, less so looking at the pictures . . . .

20190415_182006.thumb.jpg.0318640d4d7c94cef1cfc73e72c7be44.jpg

20190415_181649.thumb.jpg.a3a6be7d0f306cd70cfc518153139973.jpg

20190415_181724.thumb.jpg.31e61b23c1c223d800950e73f9a4e24a.jpg

20190415_181757.thumb.jpg.2e7eb92e6dfc35cdca5028306da74209.jpg

20190415_181843.thumb.jpg.c3190b6011e6ea246911be38610bfe95.jpg

The last one is behind the tire, looking aft.

Wait a minute, am I crazy for posting pictures of my less-than-show-ready airplane on thus site??? Be nice, guys . . . . I'm trying to be helpful here!  :rolleyes:

these are great thanks!!  I only got 3 off list emails about things people saw wrong on my plane.  At least they didnt out me in public.  You should be fine.

• Haha 1

@Hank  I went out to the plane because I thought I recognized your #1 pic but mine doesnt have a zirc (or hole) there or I'm not orienting pics correctly in my head...

You have a 70.  Mines a 67.  I wonder if they added that fitting later.  as far as I can see its really the only place on the gear that looks like it moves and doesnt have a zirc other than the rod ends which or triflowable.

20190417_163757 (1).jpg

capturI.jpg

Edited by TheTurtle

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

So to grease these i assume you connect grease gun (with correct grease) to "grease nipple" (its what we call it but now i have a new word in my vocabulary) and pump grease till you see clean grease come out or is that not the method?  

Andrew

Yes, "zirc" is the rarely-used-elsewhere real name for aviation grade grease nipples. As in "zirc fitting."

Edited by Hank

On 4/14/2019 at 9:38 PM, lamont337 said:

The fitting for your forward trunion is definitely gone. I had to use a small Allen wrench to remove the remainder of mine. It unscrewed easily, just needed to get something in there.

171E62CA-BAB2-44F9-A768-FC763447CDC3.jpeg

I found this one missing on the right side during my last annual.  Had to VERY CAREFULLY drill it out.  By standard, they're the press-in style of zerk with the serrated, and smaller than anything I could find locally.  McMaster Carr has them.  I believe it was part number 1102K52.  You'll also need a tool like the one at the link below.  I had to grind a taper on the nose in order to get it to fit next to the flange and rivet. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1430-Silver-Straight-Fitting/dp/B000MCZKB0/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=zerk+tool&qid=1555587614&s=automotive&sr=1-8

• Like 1

Mine are threaded but that could just be a difference in model year. I know a few other owners on a separate/older thread had press in style as well. Piece that came out resembled a hollow set screw. Replaced with these:

Alemite 3018 Special Thread Fitting, Straight, #6 UNF-2A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M7H51Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RyiUCbH0BXP45 

@pilot_jb I’m just across town at Grosse Ile (ONZ) might have to meet up for a lunch run sometime.

8 minutes ago, lamont337 said:

Mine are threaded but that could just be a difference in model year. I know a few other owners on a separate/older thread had press in style as well. Piece that came out resembled a hollow set screw. Replaced with these:

Alemite 3018 Special Thread Fitting, Straight, #6 UNF-2A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M7H51Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RyiUCbH0BXP45 

@pilot_jb I’m just across town at Grosse Ile (ONZ) might have to meet up for a lunch run sometime.

Some of mine are threaded, but the one that is in the picture is press-in.  

I know OZW well.  I started my Private training there and used to live about three miles inland.  Moved to Brighton six years ago and got deeply involved with 45G.  I can come down for pizza at the Airport Inn, or you can come to breakfast at 45G.  We serve at 9:00am sharp in the clubhouse on the field.  We normally start gathering between 8:00 and 8:30.  The food is modest, but the hangar flying is the best you'll find.  We'd love to see you.  

2 hours ago, pilot_jb said:

I found this one missing on the right side during my last annual.  Had to VERY CAREFULLY drill it out.  By standard, they're the press-in style of zerk with the serrated, and smaller than anything I could find locally.  McMaster Carr has them.  I believe it was part number 1102K52.  You'll also need a tool like the one at the link below.  I had to grind a taper on the nose in order to get it to fit next to the flange and rivet. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lumax-LX-1430-Silver-Straight-Fitting/dp/B000MCZKB0/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=zerk+tool&qid=1555587614&s=automotive&sr=1-8

Thanks for posting all of this guys....my 64 has no evidence whatsoever of ever having any grease fittings in the forward trunnions. I guess I’m going to have to drill them out. Why would the factory not do this?

On 4/18/2019 at 4:41 AM, pilot_jb said:

1/4" deep socket works just as well.

I talked to Dan at Lasar yesterday to ask if there was some difference in the older models as far as number of zircs.

He said and I sort of quote.

2 on the elbow(knee ?) on front of wheel

1 behind the wheel

2 on the drag link

2 on the trunion (one front and back)

I said; thats only 7.  Where are these guys getting 8.  He said tell them to lay off the crack pipe.  :) :lol:

11 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

My aircraft has no fitting or hole in the front trunnion...it never had one. Could it be because it was originally a fixed gear?

interesting.  You are talking about this one right?

I would think when they converted from D to C that trunion would have had to be swapped.  

171E62CA-BAB2-44F9-A768-FC763447CDC3.thumb.jpeg.179425bb3631a8dc1c12de1d1c130715.jpeg

8 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

interesting.  You are talking about this one right?

I would think when they converted from D to C that trunion would have had to be swapped.  

171E62CA-BAB2-44F9-A768-FC763447CDC3.thumb.jpeg.179425bb3631a8dc1c12de1d1c130715.jpeg

Yes, that’s the one... I don’t have a pic handy, but I cleaned it up and here isn’t a hole there... I’m going to have to drill one. Gotta get some guidance on the proper size bit...already bought the install tool for the fitting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

My aircraft has no fitting or hole in the front trunnion...it never had one. Could it be because it was originally a fixed gear?

Mine was originally a fixed gear as well. There is one there on the RH but I can't find one on the LH. Going to clean it up really well this weekend and see if it broke off like in the picture above or if it was just never there when the factory put the conversion kit in.

2 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Yes, that’s the one... I don’t have a pic handy, but I cleaned it up and here isn’t a hole there... I’m going to have to drill one. Gotta get some guidance on the proper size bit...already bought the install tool for the fitting.

Interested in pics and how this plays out for you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Mine was originally a fixed gear as well. There is one there on the RH but I can't find one on the LH. Going to clean it up really well this weekend and see if it broke off like in the picture above or if it was just never there when the factory put the conversion kit in.

Interested in pics and how this plays out for you.

I’ll get some pics his weekend...perhaps the hole was clocked up on top during the install- I only checked with a finger so far. I’ll get a mirror and check to be sure. Right now I suspect that the trunnion was never changed.

Interesting - my M20J IPC doesn’t show a grease fitting on the forward trunnion. Do some planes have that? From the drawing it appears that the forward trunnion uses a roller bearing which might be pre-packed and sealed, but I’ve never had one apart. Perhaps @M20Doc can shed some light here. 

BTW, I believe they are properly called zerk fittings (Invented by Oscar Zerk in 1929 according to Wikipedia).

Skip

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

There is a grease fitting on the forward trunnions bearing.  It’s an Alemite 3019 and is part of item 37.  It can be found in the wing drawing

Thanks for clarifying that, Clarence. I was looking at 32-10-01 which doesn’t show the grease fitting. I missed the cross reference to 57-10-02. Love the Mooney IPC;)

Skip

7 hours ago, PT20J said:

Thanks for clarifying that, Clarence. I was looking at 32-10-01 which doesn’t show the grease fitting. I missed the cross reference to 57-10-02. Love the Mooney IPC;)

Skip

The Mooney IPC is another unique Mooney item, right up there with Piper’s version.

Clarence

On 4/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, PilotCoyote said:

heres the drill sizes for the drive type zerks

https://www.skf.com/alemite/products/industrial-lubrication-fittings/drive-fittings/straight/index.html

how do you plan to drill it in place?  Isnt there  a bearing or something back there?  flat tip drill bit?

My hole is already bigger than 1/8".  I got a long drill bit so I could get to it but got scared I was going to drill to deep so I gave up and ordered one of those rubber tip pointy things to jam in the hole and pump in the grease.  I can still see through the hole of the broken zerk.  If that doesnt work Ill circle back on a new idea.

Edited by TheTurtle

3 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

heres the drill sizes for the drive type zerks

https://www.skf.com/alemite/products/industrial-lubrication-fittings/drive-fittings/straight/index.html

how do you plan to drill it in place?  Isnt there  a bearing or something back there?  flat tip drill bit?

My hole is already bigger than 1/8".  I got a long drill bit so I could get to it but got scared I was going to drill to deep so I gave up and ordered one of those rubber tip pointy things to jam in the hole and pump in the grease.  I can still see through the hole of the broken zerk.  If that doesnt work Ill circle back on a new idea.

Turns out I was wrong - there is a broken off fitting in each of my trunnions... They had been primed and painted over. I used Scotch Brite and there they were. Now I've got to get them out of there!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Turns out I was wrong - there is a broken off fitting in each of my trunnions... They had been primed and painted over. I used Scotch Brite and there they were. Now I've got to get them out of there!

In many cases they get broken off when the grease gun coupler locks on, then in pulling the grease gun off they break.  They are difficult to remove without further damaging the bearing.

Clarence