JPI 900

JRam

So I finally got the plane in to Southwest Texas Aviation and got the JPI 900 install. SWTA was amazing and highly communicative throughout and I'm pumped to finally have those old devices out of the plane.

Also got the CiES units installed, so I can trust my fuel and flow finally!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

12 hours ago, JRam said:

So I finally got the plane in to Southwest Texas Aviation and got the JPI 900 install. SWTA was amazing and highly communicative throughout and I'm pumped to finally have those old devices out of the plane.

Also got the CiES units installed, so I can trust my fuel and flow finally!

Would you mind sharing how many hours labor was involved in the install?

I still don't trust the level gauges on my EDM-900 as much as I do the dials on the wings and I still look inside the tanks before every flight. The totalizer on the M20F is dead nuts accurate, but the rocket always seems to take 3-4 gallons more than the totalizer said that I used after about 70-80 gallons have been burned. I've noticed the fuel flow will sometimes sit at 0 while I'm taxiing around when it's normally at 2-3 gph and I'm wondering if the location or orientation of the sender contributes to it. 

The install of my M20F was 30 hours and the Rocket was 40. 

If anyone else is interested in getting an EDM900 installed, the one piece of advice I have is to not install it on the right side of the panel with the remote "ENGINE" light in front of the pilot. Pull power to land and oil pressure drops into the yellow and you'll get a flashing light. Running at max RPM, but not past it (e.g. 2700 RPM), and you'll get a blinking red "ENGINE" light that is an unpleasant distraction. If the engine monitor is in front of you, the numbers turn red and does not distract you in the same way as seeing a light and having to look at the monitor and clear the exception. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still don't trust the level gauges on my EDM-900 as much as I do the dials on the wings and I still look inside the tanks before every flight. The totalizer on the M20F is dead nuts accurate, but the rocket always seems to take 3-4 gallons more than the totalizer said that I used after about 70-80 gallons have been burned. I've noticed the fuel flow will sometimes sit at 0 while I'm taxiing around when it's normally at 2-3 gph and I'm wondering if the location or orientation of the sender contributes to it. 
My fuel flow prior to this install was showing 0 during cruise and would show high levels when it shouldn't have. I was pretty pumped to get it replaced.

I recently upgraded to the JPI EDM-900 as well.  I wish I had done it years ago.  Excellent display, easy to use, super-accurate information.  No more guessing about fuel quantity.   JPI programs the unit to match your specific aircraft, so the red RPM range on the original tach is there on the 900 too.

N5936Q - panel as of March 2019.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

Do you have the factory senders or the CIES?

+1 on all above SWTA did mine as well.  The only thing that was not done was programming my old tach into it.  Now after having it for more than a year having adjusted all log book entries ect using the zero tach I think I actually like it that way.

6 minutes ago, Bob E said:

I recently upgraded to the JPI EDM-900 as well.  I wish I had done it years ago.  Excellent display, easy to use, super-accurate information.  No more guessing about fuel quantity.   JPI programs the unit to match your specific aircraft, so the red RPM range on the original tach is there on the 900 too.

N5936Q - panel as of March 2019.jpg

How do you like having it in the right side?  Easy to visualize/reach?

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Would you mind sharing how many hours labor was involved in the install?

My excellent A&P/IA charged $2975 for the install, plus $510 for isntalling the new fuel sensors in the tanks.

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Do you have the factory senders or the CIES?

I have the factory senders. What's interesting is the panel gauges on the Rocket were spot on accurate through the entire flight and the EDM900 is not, not with the factory senders. I suspect that JPI's analog circuitry has something to be desired. I still rely on watching the needles bounce on the wing-mounted gauges to confirm there's fuel in them. 

2 minutes ago, wcb said:

+1 on all above SWTA did mine as well.  The only thing that was not done was programming my old tach into it.  Now after having it for more than a year having adjusted all log book entries ect using the zero tach I think I actually like it that way.

Same here. I spoke with JPI at sun-n-fun and they said they can send a PDF on how to adjust it. 

2 minutes ago, Bob E said:

Very easy. This is a Mooney we're talking about, so EVERYTHING is close at hand :)

True.  I've never seen one first hand. I did get a chance to see a 930 set up like yours and it was very legible to me.  

My excellent A&P/IA charged $2975 for the install, plus $510 for isntalling the new fuel sensors in the tanks.
That was nearly spot on for me price wise. $2800 for the JPI labor and $400 for the sensors.

11 hours ago, rbridges said:

True.  I've never seen one first hand. I did get a chance to see a 930 set up like yours and it was very legible to me.  

It's bright and legible at almost any angle.  The main thing is:  how much do you actually need to reach over and press the buttons on it for various functions?  The answer is, almost never, and mostly when you're on the ground.  But pressing buttons in-flight is no more of a hassle (and not much more frequent) than setting a squawk code.  Edited to add:  I agree with Florida Man, you don't want to install the thing on the right side -- in other words, just to the right of the avionics stack is perfect, but at the far right of the panel would be inconvenient and hard to scan.

Edited by Bob E
added info

Just now, Bob E said:

It's bright and legible at almost any angle.  The main thing is:  how much do you actually need to reach over and press the buttons on it for various functions?  The answer is, almost never, and mostly when you're on the ground.  But pressing buttons in-flight is no more of a hassle (and not much more frequent) than setting a squawk code.

I have a UBG16.  I love it , but I'm constantly flipping switches to see the different temps. I'm looking forward to having a primary that displays everything at once. 

My 252 came into the shop while yours was there. I am having a complete panel upgrade but I wanted SWTA to do the CiES senders install and wiring before delivering to avionics. I just don’t trust others to go into my fuel tanks than I do JD and team.

• Like 2

Not the 900, just an 830 but is spot on for fuel flows.  Coming home from Sacramento the other day, said she burned 16 gal. and went to the fuel pump and could only put in 16.  Install was  $0.00 as I did it myself under the watchful eye of my I/A.  It is really an easy install.

Pritch

IMG_2222.JPG

Edited by Pritch
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

The install of my M20F was 30 hours and the Rocket was 40. 

If anyone else is interested in getting an EDM900 installed, the one piece of advice I have is to not install it on the right side of the panel with the remote "ENGINE" light in front of the pilot. Pull power to land and oil pressure drops into the yellow and you'll get a flashing light. Running at max RPM, but not past it (e.g. 2700 RPM), and you'll get a blinking red "ENGINE" light that is an unpleasant distraction. If the engine monitor is in front of you, the numbers turn red and does not distract you in the same way as seeing a light and having to look at the monitor and clear the exception. 

I added the bold to highlight something amiss during low FF...

Could be a sticky FF paddlewheel sensor.  Sounds like it might be anyways...

People have reported having them removed to get cleaned and then put back in place.

The JPI is working as a counter counting rotations of the paddle sensor...  so if you are seeing a zero. That wheel is probably not moving.  Then requiring enough flow to unstick the wheel again...

All the other possibilities of various install challenges can effect the readings by percentages which can be a bit annoying to try and calibrate around...

It would be interesting to find out if the install location or plumbing is causing the zero reading.  Marauder posted an interesting pic with a pair of 90° fittings right next to the JPI FF sensor... with good operational results...

Something to consider, if you are looking for the <1 gallon error that people report with good K factors and Cies fuel level instruments...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

The 0-30 ohm senders are fine connected to the JPI EDM900 in my a/c.  They agree within 1 gallon of the dials installed in each tank, which agree within less than 1 gallon of the fuel pump.  The totalizer is in the ballpark with them all.   When above 5 gallons per side, I pretty much know within 1 gallon how much fuel is in my aircraft. 

• Like 1