Interesting Insurance Qualification and the IR education

WaynePierce

5 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Good point.  My actual IMC time when getting my IR was probably the best.  You cannot take the hood off and go home when you are in the soup and tired of shooting approaches.

I do feel that  you are still PIC even though the CFII may have filed the plan this get you into the system legally.   Then you get into the whole safety pilot realm and required crew etc. 

However, the original question revolves around insurance.  Again my personal thoughts and opinions are you are the owner, the insured and PIC then you are covered.

Fellas, as a cfii, I can assure you that you can log PIC during all your instrument training... guess what, the cfii can as well.  Yep, you can both log pic as long as you are sole manipulator and the cfii is providing instruction.  Even in imc on an ifr flight plan.  If you still need xc pic time you can log that while getting ifr training too, just do an approach and landing at a destination 50nm away.  All this is covered under below links.  It requires you be licensed to act as pic... so not a student pilot.

Now, it still wouldn’t hurt to have the cfii named on your insurance as he’s providing instruction and I could see the insurance company coming after him if something happens... gear up after an approach to mins?

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/learn-to-fly/legacy-pages/aviation-subject-report-logging-pilot-in-command-pic-time

Also covered in the FAA CFI magazine about a year ago.  Let me know if anyone wants me to dig that one up.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 2