Part ID Help Needed

Exercising my right under Part 43, I noticed during my oil change the quick drain on my engine looks like it might have begun seeping a little.

Two questions:

1) For the IAs, am I allowed under Part 43 to replace the quick drain with another one? If I didn’t have a quick drain, I would be removing a plug. Is replacing the quick drain like installing the plug?

2) I have an IO-360 A1A, is this the correct replacement quick drain?

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/products/product/A5020/

And is it the same has the one on Aircraft Spruce?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/safOilDrainValves.php?clickkey=6418

(And if it is, how do they get away with an almost 100% mark up?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What is the o ring replacement number for the P5000? 
2 each of AN6227B-6 and 1 each of AN6227B-7 are the replacement o-rings for the valve.

I don’t think it is leaking from the O ring. I have never seen this type of drain before. I can see an actual spring and it looks to be leaking internally and coming out the end of the drain, not around the base.

I’m headed over to the airport soon and will snap a picture of the little bugger.

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I don’t think it is leaking from the O ring. I have never seen this type of drain before. I can see an actual spring and it looks to be leaking internally and coming out the end of the drain, not around the base.

I’m headed over to the airport soon and will snap a picture of the little bugger.

there is an internal o ring, that is what is probably leaking those were the different numbers i gave you. the base gasket is a copper crush gasket. 

2bb42d5bbf96a6fd64121047e15efbdd.jpg

That’s the Curtis CCB-37000.

Aircraft spruce when I ordered mine says it’s not PMA’d for oil use.

However, I called the MFG directly and they gave me the data I needed to install it. I’m not sure if spruce has since updated their data.

Use some heat and patients getting the old one off. 

-Matt

• Like 1

That’s the Curtis CCB-37000.
Aircraft spruce when I ordered mine says it’s not PMA’d for oil use.
However, I called the MFG directly and they gave me the data I needed to install it. I’m not sure if spruce has since updated their data.
Use some heat and patients getting the old one off. 
-Matt

Thanks Matt. It’s been on there a long time and doesn’t owe me anything. Hopefully it comes off easily.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Ok Brian. What is it?

fd7f7be8757f51a13badefe0429c5952.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had the same one on mine.   Could not figure out what it was.   Believe those are 3/4" pipe threads.    I wondered if I could replace it.  Then I wondered if it was not there, could I remove and replace a pipe plug to drain the oil.   Heat gun and permetex.  Stand by and I will get a spruce number

• Like 1

Thanks. Any advantage of going with one brand over another? The Aeroquip version that is cross referenced is a lot more expensive that the one you posted. Do you know if any have a better track record than another?

It's a way smaller hole than what you have on there so it takes longer for the oil to drain.   One day I will pull the original apart and replace the O rings so it is ready to go when the current one fails.  It has one job.  Not leak.  It does that well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Ok Brian. What is it?

fd7f7be8757f51a13badefe0429c5952.jpg

Yep, same ugly POS on the Mooney right down to the 90, the 172 has the same one less the 90 plus something similar to this, just held on with a zip tie

blob.png.46a437ad20f32daf4d57e80ab676cb5d.png

On 4/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, Marauder said:

Thanks Matt. It’s been on there a long time and doesn’t owe me anything. Hopefully it comes off easily.

My 65C had one that looked just like it... but always had a drip of oil hanging from it...

It didn’t have the honor of the piece of safety wire hanging on the spring release either...

Now we know how easy it is to dump all the oil out the drain...

So many newer designs for that.

Swapping it out will make you feel better....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, Marauder said:

Hopefully it comes off easily.

heat plus 6 pt deepwell. I have a new quickdrain for an IO360 somewhere in the garage I am not/wont be using...Ill ping you if I turn it up today. When I had a hangar, I knew right where everything was!

Mike

• Like 1