Cockpit view of approach and landing in Marathon (KMTH), Florida

Bunti

During our last visit to Marathon, I filmed the approach from the cockpit of the Mooney M20F. Most of the instruments, including my Aspen PFD and the Garmin GTN 750 are visible.

Due to the later evening, and the low sun, the outside view is ok, but could be better.

To make the visual approach against the sun easy, I selected the visual approach to runway 25 in my Garmin GTN750. With this setup, I got an ILS-like vertical and lateral deviation indication on my Aspen PFD. Also you can see on the Aspen the AOA function and the synthetic vision. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! The beaches in Marathon are not that easy to find. But there are private beaches at several hotels and even  a nice public beach. We had been to Sombrero-beach. The people at visitflorida call this beach: one of the best kept beach secrects in the Florida Keys. We had a good time at the beach and it was very quite!

https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/cities/marathon/sombrero-beach-in-marathon-florida-key-west.html

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

I've been going to Island Fish for years and never knew they had a shuttle and alway's pay a small fortune for a taxi. Is it always available or just weekends?

It was airport provided shuttle. I don't know if it is available on week days. 

No, we do not have a raft in our Mooney. We always carry life-vests. On flights over water, I try to stay in gliding distance from the shoreline  Here is our tracklog (green line) from the flight to Marathon. 

Due to some clouds, we did not fly very high. So we followed the shoreline.

image.png.f4fbdf71d2f90a1503fb940506384a52.png

• Like 2

That video is so good, I was trying to slow it down...

It turns out, that it is running real time at Mooney speeds..!

I laughed... while adjusting my screen... to pinch and zoom... Bunti’s hand came up at the same time....   :)

Title of this thread was perfect.  It said exactly what I was expecting to see and there was more! A video too.

The camera captures both inside and outside at the same time, in harsh light!

Thanks for sharing the details!

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...