G5 Installation Problems

donkaye

Unless Gamin comes up with a solution to their own problem, it looks like my November installation date for the GFC 500 isn't so bad, since as of now no G5s can be installed per the most recent Garmin installation note.  From the BeechTalk list apparently there is a piece of wire required that can't be obtained before the middle of July.  Also a resistor that is hard to find.  So I guess there won't be any new GFC 500 installs either before that time.  I bet Garmin will find a solution or time to sell their stock short if you own it.  

26 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Unless Gamin comes up with a solution to their own problem, it looks like my November installation date for the GFC 500 isn't so bad, since as of now no G5s can be installed per the most recent Garmin installation note.  From the BeechTalk list apparently there is a piece of wire required that can't be obtained before the middle of July.  Also a resistor that is hard to find.  So I guess there won't be any new GFC 500 installs either before that time.  I bet Garmin will find a solution or time to sell their stock short if you own it.  

Ouch.

i don’t think I’d short their stock, though... their outdoors, wearables, and marine markets all seem to be thriving.

of course.... if the G5/GFC500 combo accounts for any significant portion of their aviation business (which is ~17% of their overall revenue stream per their last 10Q), then I think you’re right: they will find a widely accessible solution, and quickly.

• Like 1

I was told that since there was no change to the GFC-500 install manual, it can be installed with an existing G5 without the change to the CANBUS wire or the need to add the resistors (the resistors are available given the change to the resistor spec in the latest Rev 17 of the G5 install manual).  I sympathize with your issue needing the G5 installed but Trek did post this morning that he is working with the manufacturer to have the wire in stock by the end of April.

So at any 1 point in time there are probably 1000 G5 or GFC500 installations in progress.  Making the harness is no small task, and pulling it through the airframe is probably the most labor intensive aspects of an installation.

What is an installer supposed to do - start again - to meet the Rev 17 install manual?

Aerodon

As I understand it from Trek (in a BT thread), if you started under the old MDL you can finish the install without changes.  Rev 16 to rev 17 is the change in the G5 install manual that just loosens the spec on the resistors and has no impact on GFC-500, only on the G5 install.  The Rev 16 G5 install manual called out the new wire for G5 installs.  If your install started before Rev 16 was issued, it appears you are good to finish it up without any changes.