Stec 30 upgrade

:( so, apparently the 3100 rug has been pulled out from under us. Not enough of us jumped on the band wagon to bother with the STC. So, should I upgrade my 30 to a 55x or go see what Garmin has to offer?

I would go Garmin if available for your aircraft, the servo technology is far superior. I always preach the end game, what do you want to end up with for your dream panel. In today's world your entire avionics suite is software driven, one glitch in an update for one component of the suite can and will ground you. When mixing multiple manufacturers equipment, you now have the challenge of compatibility. I would go Garmin from top to bottom, if there is a glitch, it's their glitch.

WebairConsulting.com 616 822 1999 

Dynon might be an option soon if you go full-boat with a PFD + A/P. I bet we get some visibility on their Mooney schedule next week.

Can't go wrong with Garmin if you can afford it.

The STEC 3100 upgrade isn't compelling at their sales price IMO considering what you can get from the competition now.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Amelia said:

:( so, apparently the 3100 rug has been pulled out from under us. Not enough of us jumped on the band wagon to bother with the STC. So, should I upgrade my 30 to a 55x or go see what Garmin has to offer?

But just the G1000 equipped models, right?

No, the way I understand it, there is no 3100 STC being sought for Mooney install. The G1000 compatibility problem, i think, was the reason there wasn’t enough interest. Sounded good for mine.. So now back to shopping. Sigh.

29 minutes ago, Amelia said:

No, the way I understand it, there is no 3100 STC being sought for Mooney install. The G1000 compatibility problem, i think, was the reason there wasn’t enough interest. Sounded good for mine.. So now back to shopping. Sigh.

Your plane came to mind for the perfect candidate to 3100ize. Huge capability upgrade with coupled approaches and attitude driven control over the servos. Also with your Aspen the Garmin unit is much less desirable. Really no good options...I’d honestly try to find a used 55x being pulled from another aircraft.

Edit:  Another option might be to move the aspen over to a backup role and install a g3x/GFC500 setup. Piper uses the aspen to backup the g1000. 

Edited by MIm20c

2 hours ago, Amelia said:

Barry couldnt talk 10 people into giving them an irreversible PO out of all the STEC 30/50 55 installs currently out there in Mooneys? I thought he already had that done. I guess I will quit the "low pressure constantly applied" to have Genysis join the industry leading companies and donate one to the Mooney Summit's silent auction, something that so far has went radio silent when bought up.

• 10 months later...

It’s a real bummer to be limited to avionics upgrades in the Mooney’s, especially the G1000 w/ Stex 55x; I sure would like the 3100 to be stc’d for the Mooney’s. Oh well.... guess we just have to wait and see what the future holds..

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2019 at 8:44 AM, Amelia said:

Sigh...apparently not. A used 55x would be enough of an improvement over the 30 that I’ve asked my favorite Avionics wizard to find me one while the sale lasts...quick.

Did you look a little deeper into this? I received a 55x head for free from a SR22 upgrade and have the Stec 30 alt installed currently. I am wondering if the cost is worth the hassle. 

I caved. The cost of a 55X and panel rearranging were gong to cost far more than I wanted to spend, so I just had the old system 30 refurbished. Even so, surely not cheap, but It’s ok. 

• Like 1