Stec 30 upgrade

Has anyone upgraded from an stec30 with alt hold to a 55x? Wondering what parts are interchangeable. It’s not worth it to me to rip out the 30 since it does 99% of what I want but if it was a simple head swap that would make my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone upgraded from an stec30 with alt hold to a 55x? Wondering what parts are interchangeable. It’s not worth it to me to rip out the 30 since it does 99% of what I want but if it was a simple head swap that would make my day.

I don’t think there is much that is interchangeable. The 30 uses computers in your avionics bay and I believe the 55X has it all packed in the panel unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t think there is much that is interchangeable. The 30 uses computers in your avionics bay and I believe the 55X has it all packed in the panel unit.

I need a sad button....

the servos all are the same. They do not get replaced.

you replace the turn coordinator/auto pilot (s-tec 30) with a S-tec turn coordinator and the S-tec 55x computer 

rewire the Nav inputs and other controls to the new 55x and done.

S-tec System 55x is a great A/P it provides FULL coupled approach functions. and has  Alt pre-select and FD  also

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

id recommend doing the 3100 over the 55x

the servos all are the same. They do not get replaced.
you replace the turn coordinator/auto pilot (s-tec 30) with a S-tec turn coordinator and the S-tec 55x computer 
rewire the Nav inputs and other controls to the new 55x and done.
S-tec System 55x is a great A/P it provides FULL coupled approach functions. and has  Alt pre-select and FD  also

Awesome. So my alt hold servo would work with the 55x alt select? I’m good if all it requires is wiring behind the panel.

Awesome. So my alt hold servo would work with the 55x alt select? I’m good if all it requires is wiring behind the panel.

Yep, the servos are all the same. As for wiring, it will be more than just behind the panel. The 30’s control head is wired to the computers in the avionics bay. You would need to remove all of that and rewire it up in the front.

With a 30, I wouldn’t even mess with the 55. I would go directly to the 3100. Have you found a deal on a 55X? Even if you found a deal on one, I believe Genesys still requires the units to come back before they will issue the STC for your plane.

Yep, the servos are all the same. As for wiring, it will be more than just behind the panel. The 30’s control head is wired to the computers in the avionics bay. You would need to remove all of that and rewire it up in the front.

With a 30, I wouldn’t even mess with the 55. I would go directly to the 3100. Have you found a deal on a 55X? Even if you found a deal on one, I believe Genesys still requires the units to come back before they will issue the STC for your plane.

I don’t know anything about the 3100 so it could be an option if it wasn’t a lot more expensive. I have access to a 55x when my instructor upgrades. Do you know off hand what the 3100 will do the 55x won’t?

5 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I don’t know anything about the 3100 so it could be an option if it wasn’t a lot more expensive. I have access to a 55x when my instructor upgrades. Do you know off hand what the 3100 will do the 55x won’t?

when buying used Stec products, their STC's are very expensive from What I've heard. you might get the 55x computer for 5K, install for 3k, and have to pay a 3 to 5K stc, or you can buy the 3100 for the 10k and install it for another 3K. the 3100 is the new version of the 55x.

With the 3100, you buy the new control head, return the 30 control head, and keep the servos.

• Like 2

when buying used Stec products, their STC's are very expensive from What I've heard. you might get the 55x computer for 5K, install for 3k, and have to pay a 3 to 5K stc, or you can buy the 3100 for the 10k and install it for another 3K. the 3100 is the new version of the 55x.

With the 3100, you buy the new control head, return the 30 control head, and keep the servos.

I like that theory. I’ll do some research on the 3100... thanks guys!

1 minute ago, xcrmckenna said:

and you get a new 2 year warrenty on the Stec 3100, and 1 year warranty on the servos, that are probably the age of the plane, so it doesn't hurt to have some warranty on 2 decade old parts.

• Like 1

Was the 55X available from your instructor from a 3100 upgrade? If so, it is my understanding that they require the unit be returned.

The 3100 is fully digital and with envelope protection. Worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Was the 55X available from your instructor from a 3100 upgrade? If so, it is my understanding that they require the unit be returned.

The 3100 is fully digital and with envelope protection. Worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just tracked down the dealers in Oregon and I’ll stop by to get quotes on the 3100. I don’t remember what he was doing when I said I was looking to upgrade to the 55x. But he jumped at the chance for me to buy his:)

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

All the servos are the same. The ones in the plane will work. You need three: Roll (in the wing) pitch and trim in the tail cone.

All the wires connecting the Alt Hold module in the tail cone will need to be routed or replaced to the System 55x computer in the panel.

1 hour ago, xcrmckenna said:

The 3100 is all digital A/P and only works with an EFD like the Avidyne Entegra or Aspen PFD.

11 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

No, the 3100 has a built in AHRS. You don’t need an Aspen or Avidyne to run it.

I agree but to be fair the 3100 does first use the external AHRS unless one is not available. It also requires an external air data unit to be installed if no pfd is used. 

I thought the 30/50 units were all panel mounted and 60 has most of the brains in the back?

2 hours ago, Niko182 said:

You can buy a 55X control head unit on ebay for a few hundred dollarsa and send it back to S-Tec to get it setup for your airplane.  When I upgraded my 55 to a 55x I did this for $1600 total.  In my case I didn't need a new STC but I think that was about $1200.

• Like 1

Hi,

I wanted to chime in on the conversation. Buying used the equipment and having it recertified is not a cost-effective bargain. I would ask that you contact your local dealer for the charges to purchase the STC paperwork, install kit and to certify and install the used equipment.

We have 26 Pre -STC purchase orders now and the Genesys Aerosystems Mooney 3100 STC start date is July 1st.

Genesys Aerosystems S-TEC 3100 is a fully featured, attitude-based autopilot that gives you a list of workload-reducing and safety-enhancing capabilities that were previously unavailable on aftermarket autopilots. The  S-TEC 3100 has this feature packed into the system.

• Automatic Trim included
  • Envelope Protection/Alerting
  • Straight and Level Recovery
  • Precision Approaches/Missed Approaches
  • Indicated Airspeed Hold
  • Altitude Preselect

The 55X is a rate base system verse the 3100 attitude-based autopilots. The 3100 has built-in MEMS technology that is capable of working with the basic 6-Pack panel. The 3100 is compatible with advanced digital sources & EFIS displays from Garmin, Aspen, and others. 

The most significant benefit to submitting a purchase order (early) is that we will extend the 2-year warranty to 3 years for all new parts from the factory (new installs and new controllers/servos). Also, we are offering a 2-year warranty on any currently installed S-TEC servos. No matter how old they are.

The extended warranty offer is only valid until we gain the STC. Once that occurs, the regular warranty period will be offered. Importantly, the POs are non-binding (until the STC is issued and we start building the system) so if your circumstances change, you are not obligated to purchase.

Please Visit our website: 

Product Link - http://genesys-aerosystems.com/products/s-tec-3100-digital-flight-control-system

Pilots guide link - https://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/87325.PDF

Brochure link - http://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/files/GenesysAerosystems_S-TEC_3100__Digital_Autopilot_Brochure_2017 (002).pdf

Please contact me directly at:

Barry LeBlanc

Genesys Aerosystems Regional Sales Manager

PH: 940.327.0707

Email: Barry.LeBlanc@genesys-aerosystems.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Barry, Consider having Genesys join the group of industry leading General Aviation suppliers and equipment manufacturers and donating a 3100 unit to the Mooney Summit

see www.mooneysummit.com/sponsors

Your kind donation will go to aid a downed Mooney pilot's family at the time of their greatest need. Other sponsors have realized the very positive impact of donating to our event and in Genesys's case, it is simply the cost of goods donation to gain the support of the entire Mooney fleet.

Feel free to ask me or @Hank any questions or how to proceed becoming one of our elite sponsors and join the likes of L3, Bose, Lightspeed, Garmin, Jeppesen just to name a few.

• Like 1

We will do, Barry. This is a very very inexpensive way to really reach the Mooney owners, prove Genesys' commitment to the Mooney Community and buy a huge amount of priceless good PR. Far cheaper than any trade show and we would invite you to also present on airport day with a display. @Hank, can I ask you to reach out to Barry in his personal email as I will be doing my training thing for the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

We will do, Barry. This is a very very inexpensive way to really reach the Mooney owners, prove Genesys' commitment to the Mooney Community and buy a huge amount of priceless good PR. Far cheaper than any trade show and we would invite you to also present on airport day with a display. [mention=6921]Hank[/mention], can I ask you to reach out to Barry in his personal email as I will be doing my training thing for the next couple of weeks.

Since I started this thread and they donate 3100, do I automatically win it????:)

This would be easily won, as it will be a silent auction item if Barry decides to have Genesys run with the other big dogs that donate to the Mooney Summit's silent auction. I certainly hope he can make it happen for Genesys, they would be well served. Ill let you know what Hank and him come up with:)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1