Airways

Mooney @ Aero 2019 ?

I just arrived at the Aero Messe in Friedrichshafen. Between landing and leaving for the hotel, I was amazed at how many parked Mooney aircraft there are at this place. True, most of them are J and K, but I really find it a huge disappointment there is no official Mooney booth here. 

If sales are the only factor then allow me to say that only a handful of Vision jets are sold in Europe, but at the Aero Messe Cirrus brought three (!) of them !

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

On 4/11/2019 at 4:47 PM, Airways said:

I just arrived at the Aero Messe in Friedrichshafen. Between landing and leaving for the hotel, I was amazed at how many parked Mooney aircraft there are at this place. True, most of them are J and K, but I really find it a huge disappointment there is no official Mooney booth here. 

If sales are the only factor then allow me to say that only a handful of Vision jets are sold in Europe, but at the Aero Messe Cirrus brought three (!) of them !

I fully agree.  Ive been saying this to the Mooney marketting guys for four years now, nut they just WILL NOT listen.  The whole,poojt of marketting is to not sell, but to improve brand awareness, make your brand the one everyone thinks about.  There are lots of ice creams out there, but most people know Ben and Jerrys.  Marketting.  Also they ONLY market to pilots, while Cirrus market to a target income segment  thus increasing the size of the overall market.  

the resources available to them almost free of charge on this forum that would happily improve their marketting for them, etc is beyond belief but they ignore it.  

Andrew

Speed, efficiency, Safety, and Europe..?

We are more alike, than we are different... (somebody around here quoted a great American earlier... - Maya Angelou)

AOPA is at the show... filming lots of electric driven things... probably the IOAPA arm doing the filming...

I’d guess the marketing message isn’t getting through... it’s not even being sent.

It isn’t hard to drive a Mooney across the pond, MSers do it often.  In both directions.

A Mooney would make a great plane for traveling  throughout Europe.

Best regards,

-a-

I’ll respectfully disagree.  Trade shows are expensive locally, and they are hideously expensive abroad.  Mooney International’s display at OSH probably cost $125,000-$200,000 plus people, plus travel plus lodging, and plus getting the planes there.  Figure the whole Sheehan’s is at least $200,000 hard and softish costs.

Does Mooney have distribution in Europe? If not, then to show up at aero is flag waving, not a commercial undertaking.  I HO, they are doing the right thing to focus on the domestic market.  Resources are scarce, they probably don’t have the headcount  to meaningfully increase production, and I believe they should be able to sell their full production domestically.

30% margins on 50 units at $750,000 doesn’t throw off enough to sell abroad while rebuilding and expanding easier, less expensive sales domestically.

-de

I can’t believe cost is the factor here. Friedrichshafen is filled with companies no one ever heard of and they sell “ideas” (prototypes going into production if they can find investors). But you should see their booths! You could easily park 3 Mooneys in one spot.  

Mooney still has distributors in Europe, but they are not exclusive. Meaning: they distribute other brands as well.  If they want to target the domestical market exclusively then that is their choice. But I find it hard to believe that this market is almost saturated after selling 14 units.  I do agree however that the O and Acclaim are not the best products for Europe.  That M10 they binned would have been a sweet deal however...

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 6:33 AM, Airways said:

I can’t believe cost is the factor here. Friedrichshafen is filled with companies no one ever heard of and they sell “ideas” (prototypes going into production if they can find investors). But you should see their booths! You could easily park 3 Mooneys in one spot.  

Mooney still has distributors in Europe, but they are not exclusive. Meaning: they distribute other brands as well.  If they want to target the domestical market exclusively then that is their choice. But I find it hard to believe that this market is almost saturated after selling 14 units.  I do agree however that the O and Acclaim are not the best products for Europe.  That M10 they binned would have been a sweet deal however...

As I said' i really do not understand the logic.  Im sure there is some there, but we are just party to it.  Anyone who knows anything about downturns in a business cycle will tell you the one thing you dont do is cut your marketting, you increase it.  Dont let the customers ever forget your brand name, it takes years to buiild it up and days to destroy it.  

Andrew

• Like 1