Century IIB autopilot upgrade to altitude hold

nels

10 minutes ago, nels said:

Is it possible to upgrade this autopilot to altitude hold? It would be nice to have this feature but is it possible, too expensive? Anybody done it or knowledgeable on the subject?

It would be less expensive to install the Tru Trak once it's approved for the Mooney than to get the PSS 60 installed and you'll have a new digital autopilot.

4 minutes ago, nels said:

Is there anything on the used market that could be adapted? Did the Century auto pilot of that vintage ever offer altitude hold?

Century III's and IV's did, also Century 31's and 41's were installed in Mooneys, but again to take 40-50 year old technology and pay labor to have it installed doesn't make sense. No matter which route you go, it's going to cost $7500+ to add altitude hold.

• 3 weeks later...

Another question on this: I see a Century III autopilot with altitude hold available on Ebay for 850. It is missing parts but has altitude hold present or at least it looks to be present. Is the Century III the same as the II with the addition of the altitude hold or is this just another pipe dream of mine?

4 minutes ago, nels said:

Another question on this: I see a Century III autopilot with altitude hold available on Ebay for 850. It is missing parts but has altitude hold present or at least it looks to be present. Is the Century III the same as the II with the addition of the altitude hold or is this just another pipe dream of mine?

Completely different autopilot

• Thanks 1

There’s no cheap way to do it.  I have a IIb and it works great with the exception of no altitude hold.  Can’t put used autopilots in without usually an an airframe specific STC.  Decided to do the GFC 500 when that becomes available.