Propeller Eddy Current Inspection

I just had my prop done last week (north carolina).  $300...couldn't believe it.  It took longer to get the spinner off and back on than the actual test... not even 10 minutes for the actual test... $300!!!  Guess when you have a local monopoly SCREW AWAY!

Haven't been able to locate another shop yet for next time... GEEZE!

10 hours ago, MIR2018 said:

I just had my prop done last week (north carolina).  $300...couldn't believe it.  It took longer to get the spinner off and back on than the actual test... not even 10 minutes for the actual test... $300!!!  Guess when you have a local monopoly SCREW AWAY!

Haven't been able to locate another shop yet for next time... GEEZE!

After I bought The Mistress I had the ECI done twice. Once at Ft. Worth Meacham and the second time at Ellis Field. The next year I decided to have my prop rebuilt and discovered that Hartzell had a mod where they do something to the hub and then fill it with red-dyed oil. It eliminates the AD. IIRC, the mod cost me about $300 something in addition to the rebuild, which, BTW, made my prop look brand new from the factory. Now five years later, I've recouped my investment in the dye job. At the time, I asked about putting in a rebuilt 'B-hub' and found out that those buggers are made of unobtanium.

Not to belabor this, but both times I had the ECI I asked if the techs had ever discovered a crack. Out of hundreds of ECIs, neither had. One of the techs told me he thought the AD was bullshit.

There is a picture of a cracked/broken hub around here, probably posted by Cody...

There might be one or two Mooneys that have ever experienced a cracked hub.

But, in terms of how serious the problem is, when the hub falls apart... that is pretty serious...

The broken hub in the MS picture was still held together by its assembly bolts, so nothing departed...

PP thoughts only, Cody is MS’ resident prop guy if you have further questions...

Best regards,

-a-

24 minutes ago, HRM said:

Not to belabor this, but both times I had the ECI I asked if the techs had ever discovered a crack. Out of hundreds of ECIs, neither had. One of the techs told me he thought the AD was bullshit.

Same question to the guy feeling up my hub.   Same answer.

10 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Same question to the guy feeling up my hub.   Same answer.

Same answer for me.

Cody can address this better, but as I recall this AD started for applications producing 300+ horsepower.  Then it spread to aerobatic airplanes, then to agricultural types.  Not surprisingly, our 180-200 HP non-aerobatic Mooneys that don't spray caustic chemicals generally don't have a problem.

I just had mine done in San Antonio by Dan (a retired Air Force guy that has been with Jordan about 12 years) at Jordan Propeller.   @MIR2018  Dan was very thorough and it took he took quite a bit longer than your guy it sounds.  Very meticulous in his inspection procedure and I watched like watching water boil.  If you want it done right sounds like Dan is the man.  As far as a screw job well it is aviation and they do have to pay for the equipment and training that nobody else has. @Yetti can you send me the guy in Conroe I can try him next time (nothing against Dan it is Conroe is my neighboring airport and $200 is less than $300 (last I checked my math).

5 hours ago, wcb said:

I just had mine done in San Antonio by Dan (a retired Air Force guy that has been with Jordan about 12 years) at Jordan Propeller. 

Jordan did my hub mod (to eliminate the AD). They are a class act. Did you by chance ask what they are asking the mod for now? Just curious, I was the first one they did back in 12/12.

14 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Same answer for me.

Cody can address this better, but as I recall this AD started for applications producing 300+ horsepower.  Then it spread to aerobatic airplanes, then to agricultural types.  Not surprisingly, our 180-200 HP non-aerobatic Mooneys that don't spray caustic chemicals generally don't have a problem.

The story I heard was that there was a mid-air collision in the UK and the NTSB found mangled hubs with cracks. Duh! 

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I wonder how many failures it take for the FAA to trigger an AD?  So far nothing on wing spars in Piper Arrows, I guess one failure isn’t a trend yet.

Clarence

The NDT guy would be a busy guy if it goes through.

20 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

Even more reason to do the mod. So you don't find a crack, go flying and crack happens long before the ECI comes due again. Of course, I am guessing that you see the leaking red oil on pre-flight.

So a reseal will be in the $6-900 range. What is the added cost for the oil filled hub modification?  I don’t mind the cost or the flight over but my prop shop is off the field and I have to use another fbo, kind of a hassle a couple times a year. 

13 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

So a reseal will be in the $6-900 range. What is the added cost for the oil filled hub modification?  I don’t mind the cost or the flight over but my prop shop is off the field and I have to use another fbo, kind of a hassle a couple times a year. 

I can't remember what the mod cost, but Jordan Prop (KSAT) charged me $4,200 in 2012 for a prop overhaul and that included the mod. They picked up my prop and then brought it back to me looking like it came from the Hartzell factory.

55 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

None of the shops I’ve spoken with will do the dye mod. They say Hartzells have a hard enough time holding grease much less oil that’s Dyed red..

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

None of the shops I’ve spoken with will do the dye mod. They say Hartzells have a hard enough time holding grease much less oil that’s Dyed red..

That’s a bummer. Can’t handle the weight of a 2 blade top prop with my turbo.  My prop is in really good condition and was overhauled with new blades a year before the AD came out.  Really wished the NDT was due every year with a higher hour limit (250 would be nice). 

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

That’s a bummer. Can’t handle the weight of a 2 blade top prop with my turbo.  My prop is in really good condition and was overhauled with new blades a year before the AD came out.  Really wished the NDT was due every year with a higher hour limit (250 would be nice). 

I agree. The NDT is a PITA but it’s not overly burdensome. I have mine done in the hangar for $250. I think that’s very reasonable given the cost of the equipment.