N711PP, new M20V gear collapse KOPF

philiplane

Certainly not trying to mute anyone...far be it my place to do so, but we should probably all refrain, and let Omar post if and when he feels like it.  I can imagine there are many issues to work through, and we should all consider what we would feel like if it happened to us.

• Like 2

Certainly not trying to mute anyone...far be it my place to do so, but we should probably all refrain, and let Omar post if and when he feels like it.  I can imagine there are many issues to work through, and we should all consider what we would feel like if it happened to us.

Well, if were me, I would not be happy about the initial post with my tail number in the subject line, and would never follow up post this thread.

Tom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, if were me, I would not be happy about the initial post with my tail number in the subject line, and would never follow up post this thread.

Tom

Unfortunately in today’s big brother knows and sees all world, this incident was already reported on Kathryn’s Report.

I agree that posting it here might be questionable by some, but it hasn’t stopped a number of these from being posted over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This isnt a matter of keeping it a secret, Chris, but more a matter of keeping the "It wouldnt have happened if it were a Cirrus", "what happens after the 3rd bounce" "lack of proper training" "Mooney's quality is SH&T" speculation from formulating facts out of opinion vs reality and out of respect for a great gentleman, Omar.

• Like 8

This isnt a matter of keeping it a secret, Chris, but more a matter of keeping the "It wouldnt have happened if it were a Cirrus", "what happens after the 3rd bounce" "lack of proper training" "Mooney's quality is SH&T" speculation from formulating facts out of reality and out of respect for a great gentleman, Omar.

Mike this is like EVERY other incident/accident I have seen reported on MooneySpace. We are going to read everything from the quality question through “he drank too much espresso that morning” comments.

I get it, you trained the guy. You’re sensitive to that. It’s a new Mooney, we’re all sensitive to that. And that facts aren’t in and we will see all the usual speculation that goes with it.

To bury our heads in the tarmac and pretend it didn’t happen isn’t the answer either. Something happened. And I don’t get the big deal about talking about it. It’s a collapsed nose wheel - wasn’t the first time for a Mooney. We surely didn’t stop talking about the Boeing Max issue.

When the facts come out, everything gets recalibrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I just thought I was reading an etiology in a post.  I really didn't want to pile on a fellow Mooney pilot without any basis.  I've had my own problems and this community was wonderful to me.

I don’t think anyone is piling on. I didn’t like reading something like this happening but the reality is stuff happens, even to new products. I watch Nikko Wings guy on YouTube and even in his brand new Cirrus SR-22 he was talking about taking it back for some warranty work.

Sheesh, I just wanna know how something like this could happen so I can try to prevent it happening to me or someone else.  I knew the nose truss could be damaged by oversteering during towing, but could it result in this?  Is it something else preventable or is it simply a “big pothole”?

I definitely wouldn’t pile on, and I understand if there are some kind of legal reasons not to talk about it, but I also understand why people want to know.  

“There but for the grace of god go I...

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 3

I always feel a little uneasy when I land in Key West (or any other busy FBO) and watch the ground handlers tow my plane to parking...

I pull the plane around enough on the tow bar to know the nose gear won’t turn very much!

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I watch Nikko Wings guy on YouTube

I remember reading a study about kids watching Spongebob Squarepants and if they gave them cognitive tasks before and after the episode their performance dropped by the equivalent of several IQ points. I always assumed Nikko’s Wings was the aviation version of that. Nice plane, but clueless narcissist for a pilot. I had to stop watching because I could feel my brain cells commiting harakiri.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I remember reading a study about kids watching Spongebob Squarepants and if they gave them cognitive tasks before and after the episode their performance dropped by the equivalent of several IQ points. I always assumed Nikko’s Wings was the aviation version of that. Nice plane, but clueless narcissist for a pilot. I had to stop watching because I could feel my brain cells commiting harakiri.

But him and Jerry W are my role models. Come on, you got to admit watching them is heck of lot more fun than watching professional pilots fly. It’s like a box of chocolate where you know everything you get will have a nut inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

My favorite accounts as of now:

Flightchops (great for learning stuff and very interesting episodes)

The candourist ( by far the best cinematogrophy. I love this guys work. Probably my favorite out of the bunch with flight chops at a veryclose second)

Aviation101 (great for learning stuff)

Matt guthmiller (great stuff but some of the stuff he does seems a little bit questionable, but hes pic so he should do him)

Funforlouis (world trip had some very interesting episodes)

17 hours ago, Dcflyn said:

Any possibility the collapse was due to inadvertently hitting the gear-up switch? Mind you I drive a ‘66 E with a j-bar and I’m not very familiar with electric gear switches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All the electric gear Mooneys that I’m familiar with have an airspeed safety switch and require you to manually hold an override button that is separate from the gear switch if there is inadequate airspeed. When doing the gear swing at annual and you have the plane on jacks, alarms go off like crazy while doing it. 

• Thanks 1

This isnt a matter of keeping it a secret, Chris, but more a matter of keeping the "It wouldnt have happened if it were a Cirrus", "what happens after the 3rd bounce" "lack of proper training" "Mooney's quality is SH&T" speculation from formulating facts out of reality and out of respect for a great gentleman, Omar.

Folks, hi there, been busy and frustrated and sick to my stomach. No pilot error. The FBO made a mistake towing it and ruined the gear, as I was taxiing it collapsed, end of story. Mooney is ferrying it and I’m having a new engine and parts put in so I get my plane back as I had it, as new, I’m fine, shaken and distraught, but fine. Thanks to those who share their concern. It was KTMB not KOTF. FAA stated not pilot error, so that’s that, also, it’s an AWESOME machine and I’m proud of her, thanks,

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

Major bummer.  Can you share what the "towing mistake" was exactly?

They used the HUGE tow truck, like for jets which has the LONG towbar. They turned 45 degrees because that was what the kid was taught, well, it’s 11 and 13 degrees. So they sheared the gear and it collapsed immediately afterwards for obvious reasons. I’m sick to my stomach.

And listen, I’m rated on the sr20’s and 22’s and can do compares but this is akin to boating. Hatters guys speak in biblical terms about Hatteras vs Viking and vice versa. So I say to each his own.

Mooney flew a Company big Kajuna who was there with me and hand held me and they couldn’t do better under a sad and freaky thing for me. It’s an accident and you know, new engine and parts and we’re good.

I’m changing FBOs and got a sidewinder tower by the way,... HA! No one touches my plane, like, ever,

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Mike this is like EVERY other incident/accident I have seen reported on MooneySpace. We are going to read everything from the quality question through “he drank too much espresso that morning” comments.

I get it, you trained the guy. You’re sensitive to that. It’s a new Mooney, we’re all sensitive to that. And that facts aren’t in and we will see all the usual speculation that goes with it.

To bury our heads in the tarmac and pretend it didn’t happen isn’t the answer either. Something happened. And I don’t get the big deal about talking about it. It’s a collapsed nose wheel - wasn’t the first time for a Mooney. We surely didn’t stop talking about the Boeing Max issue.

When the facts come out, everything gets recalibrated.

RECALIBRATE THEN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

wouldn't have happened if he bought a cirrus
not sure he would have made the leg from puerto rico to miami either, though.

I have flown with a buddy from PR to Miami in a Cirrus SR22, the plane won’t make it most days so your comment is off base, we must refuel. So your comment is grossly inaccurate

• Like 1

Any possibility the collapse was due to inadvertently hitting the gear-up switch? Mind you I drive a ‘66 E with a j-bar and I’m not very familiar with electric gear switches.

Simply stated, no

Tom

It’s an inaccurate headline. It should say FBO DESTROYS BRAND NEW MOONEY OUT OF OVERSIGHT. PILOTS BEWARE.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sheesh, I just wanna know how something like this could happen so I can try to prevent it happening to me or someone else.  I knew the nose truss could be damaged by oversteering during towing, but could it result in this?  Is it something else preventable or is it simply a “big pothole”?
 I definitely wouldn’t pile on, and I understand if there are some kind of legal reasons not to talk about it, but I also understand why people want to know.  
“There but for the grace of god go I...

I obviously questioned myself - is there something I could’ve seen at preflight, the answer is NO. It’s unintentional internal damage so be careful when asking an FBO to tow any aircraft

• Like 2

You’re offensive and uninformed.

• Like 3