N711PP, new M20V gear collapse KOPF

philiplane

10 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Wonder if this has anything to do with this incident: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/4147179/technical_documents/service_instructions/SIM20_137.pdf

I have been using the AOPA Fuel Cards (https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/february/17/prevent-misfueling) ever since my wife was putting in the fuel order and texted me "Do you want Prist?" to which I replied "No! STOP!" The FBOs really seem to like the fuel cards because it makes it unambiguous with respect to what you want and where you want it. I like it because it documents what I asked for. I have made little stickers to add to the fuel cards i light of this incident and service instruction. I think next time I order the fuel cards I'll just add it to the text. Here are the stickers if anyone wants them.

DO NOT TOW.pdf 39.15 kB · 7 downloads Do not turn nose wheel past 11.pdf 31.36 kB · 7 downloads

The little stickers are a good idea.  I haven't seen the AOPA cards before - the Vistaprint link from that article doesn't seem to work (or I'm doing it wrong).

I still wish someone would make a "remove-before-flight" thing that sticks in the nose gear towbar holes with a giant warning about exceeding the turn limits.  Unless I actually know the line personnel, I have zero confidence that anything communicated to person #1 will make it to person #5 who tows the plane.  And honestly, I just don't want someone to break the plane - having evidence to use for the future lawsuit slash insurance claim is about 1% as good as avoiding the damage in the first place.

You’re right. That link no longer seems to work. I have emailed AOPA.

I also bought one of these:

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/ljrstreamers58131.php

Edit: I will add that when I give the fuel cards to the person at the desk and tell them about towing the Mooney (“if you tow it wrong the nosegear will collapse and destroy the airplane”) they do seem to pay attention.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

man, Is there any place that sells a cover that uses pockets for each blade tip that are connected by bungee cords that has a sign in the middle (which would face a tow driver) that has the tow limits placarded on it?

I REALLY don't want this to happen to me.

That might be even more obvious than something on the nose gear - though I really would like something that they are forced to remove before they can hook up a tow bar.

This might be a great opportunity for an enterprising MSer to make tens of dollars :)

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, ilovecornfields said:

Wonder if this has anything to do with this incident: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/4147179/technical_documents/service_instructions/SIM20_137.pdf

I have been using the AOPA Fuel Cards (https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/february/17/prevent-misfueling) ever since my wife was putting in the fuel order and texted me "Do you want Prist?" to which I replied "No! STOP!" The FBOs really seem to like the fuel cards because it makes it unambiguous with respect to what you want and where you want it. I like it because it documents what I asked for. I have made little stickers to add to the fuel cards i light of this incident and service instruction. I think next time I order the fuel cards I'll just add it to the text. Here are the stickers if anyone wants them.

DO NOT TOW.pdf 39.15 kB · 41 downloads Do not turn nose wheel past 11.pdf 31.36 kB · 41 downloads

On 7/13/2019 at 2:30 PM, toto said:

The little stickers are a good idea.  I haven't seen the AOPA cards before - the Vistaprint link from that article doesn't seem to work (or I'm doing it wrong).

I still wish someone would make a "remove-before-flight" thing that sticks in the nose gear towbar holes with a giant warning about exceeding the turn limits.  Unless I actually know the line personnel, I have zero confidence that anything communicated to person #1 will make it to person #5 who tows the plane.  And honestly, I just don't want someone to break the plane - having evidence to use for the future lawsuit slash insurance claim is about 1% as good as avoiding the damage in the first place.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:41 PM, ilovecornfields said:

You’re right. That link no longer seems to work. I have emailed AOPA.

I also bought one of these:

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/ljrstreamers58131.php

Edit: I will add that when I give the fuel cards to the person at the desk and tell them about towing the Mooney (“if you tow it wrong the nosegear will collapse and destroy the airplane”) they do seem to pay attention.

If I am leaving the plane at a larger airport where there may be a change (and likely probable) that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, I use one of these-

I like the idea of the cards, and think I will make one with the reasons why the plane should not be towed by a tug, the turning limits, and my cell phone number if it really needs to be towed and I can return.  The statement that the aircraft was checked at the time of parking and known to be damage free can also be added.

I also use a York Gust Lock if outside:  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/yorkgustlok2.php?clickkey=4469

and that can be another reason written on the card as another reason why the aircraft can not be towed. 

The gust lock reminds me to remove the lock on the nose gear, as will my walk around which is mandatory given the the plane was left in someone else's hands.

John Breda

DO-NOT-TOW.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It’s not practical for me to insist on not having my planes towed with the airports that I frequent. Many FBOs are operating unlawfully but nobody is enforcing shit. And unfortunately the employees that you deal with are not the people to fly off the handle with — Signature makes you sign a waiver, but waivers don’t absolve liability for gross negligence. I usually throw the line guy 10 bucks and hope they don’t fuck up my plane. The correct way to solve this is to withhold AIP grants when FBOs violate the sponsor’s grant assurances. Airport sponsors that allow Signature to operate as an FBO are in direct violation of 49 USC 50104. 

On 4/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, exM20K said:

SOP for me is to run a finger down the two down tubes on the nose gear as part of my preflight.  There are no dents or paint chips.  If I feel something, then something potentially bad has happened, and I’ll look more closely.

sadly, even if the tug had collapsed the gear, you’d be in the same position on needing a tear down inspection and prop.  My prob always stops with one blade down, not two, and that one blade has only 11” of clearance.  

Im a big fan of the turntable type tugs which do protect the nose gear, but I’m too cheap to replace my 22 year old power tow with the BestTug I really want.

.-dan

I was cautioned about this when being checked out in my first Mooney and routinely check the backside of the tubes preflight whenever the plane has been towed. Sadly this routine was strongly reinforced when I found damage after towing by my local FBO about a year into ownership. No collapse and the FBO repaired the damage (without involving my insurance)...but I was grounded for 3 weeks. Over the past 20+ years since I continue to check and have added politely warning line men of the limited turn radius for Mooneys prior to letting them go for it.