N711PP, new M20V gear collapse KOPF

philiplane

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

The guy who was doing the transition training with Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, I hope the factory can get him back into the air ASAP. Was looking forward to his adventures. 

Edited by MIm20c

This sounds more like an insurance issue not a warranty issue. (This is definitely not the three years routine maintenance referenced above.) 

If the nose wheel collapses (maybe hard landing?), I can't imagine the prop not hitting, then it's an engine teardown and a new prop.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

This sounds more like an insurance issue not a warranty issue. (This is definitely not the three years routine maintenance referenced above.) 

If the nose wheel collapses (maybe hard landing?), I can't imagine the prop not hitting, then it's an engine teardown and a new prop.

could be warranty if there was a failure of the linkage not associated with abuse IE: hard landing ect...

30 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

and damage history and a hit on hull value on a brand new airplane.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, orionflt said:

could be warranty if there was a failure of the linkage not associated with abuse IE: hard landing ect...

Very hard to prove. If the linkage failed on the first few landings that would be more proof toward a defect in parts, but looking at flightaware there have been a lot of landings 

I had something that was somewhat similar. I had an Ovation in for maintenance and I got a call the next day that when they brought it into the shop, the nose gear collapsed. I was very fortunate for a few reasons: 1) It didn't happen landing or taxiing 2) the prop was just right so that it didn't strike the prop, but just bent up the gear doors, which were the only things that made contact,  but nothing else 3) insurance covered it, as a not-in-motion loss (only claim I've had in 33 years)

My Gear Unsafe light had come on once during retract a few weeks earlier, but went away. My mechanic at the time (not this shop) said that the microswitches probably just needed to be cleaned.

571964611_ScreenShot2019-04-11at9_48_34AM.thumb.png.5c880eb1062045e527ac8f24c6c2da24.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any possibility the collapse was due to inadvertently hitting the gear-up switch? Mind you I drive a ‘66 E with a j-bar and I’m not very familiar with electric gear switches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thats almost impossible to do, unless the switch is seriously busted.  You have to pull the switch out past a raised indent (think road spped bump) and then move the switch up.  It is a very concious action.  

The switch is also about a foot hugher than the throttle, and off to the side. So it's a far reach and a deliberate movememt, not an accidental bump.

This was Omar's plane. It happened after the FBO pulled it out of the hangar for him while he was taxiing to depart for upstate New York. It would have happened in a CIrrus. He did not bounce a landing like some non Mooney owners here have speculated. In fact, I would put Omar's xwind landing skills up against most of you. The first day of training we were in 19G25 and he was great! It is a shame, but he will be getting a new engine and a new prop. He had just returned from St. Croix and San Juan PR with her. The plane will be ferried back to KERV to complete the work. Pics do not show much damage to the gear doors or other body parts. Yes, the plane only had about 35 hrs on it. I didnt post earlier about this as it wasnt my place to, but feel I have to speak up now that we are blaming his landings, Mooney's mfrg, etc. If Omar wants to post a pic, he will, but while he is getting the plane dealt with between the FBO, insurance, Mooney etc. he will probably (and correctly imo) keep his comments private.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Mike wasn’t saying that, and if I was his lawyer I would advise him not to say anything.

Tom

Sorry, wasn't trying to start a court case.  A Court of Law is no place for an Honest Man.  Just wondering what causes the nose gear to collapse on a  very new airframe.

Before I had my Mooney I was renting a nice 182.  Guy and his daughter nice as could be in Provincetown.  Me, my wife and two friends on our way out.  Mooney sitting on its nose. Sad looks everywhere. Brand new ovation.   He had a FBO towing horror story with a consequence at the next airport.  Truss tube bent and the nose collapsed when he put a lateral force on it turning in for a tie down.  I believe that Mooney had to be driven out of P town.  Shame.  Anyway I came back for the gentleman and his daughter and gave them a lift home.  It can happen.