Very slight play in horizontal stabilizer

RobertE

For years when manually moving my left horizontal stabilizer up and down I can feel a slight bit of play - less than the .10” specified as a problem in the maintenance manual.  Anyway, I wonder if I can pose two questions.

1. How common is this?  Do others observe the same thing?

2. If ever it gets bad enough to repair, what’s the fix?  (Interestingly, there is no play whatsoever in the right stabilizer so I’m guessing there must be separate attachment points for each stabilizer.)

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

At least perusing old threads this seems common, but I have to admit, I've not been able to feel any play at all in mine.  Wasn't there a Don Maxwell article about play in that hinge somewhere?

I tried to find old threads but couldn’t. How do I search for those?  Nothing showed up when I searched on “loose stabilizer” or “play in stabilizer” but I’d sure like to find any earlier commentary. 

The horizontal stabilizer is one piece. There are two pivot bolts just below the horizontal stab one on the right side and another on the left. The bottom junction is where the trim jackscrew attaches. If you have play on the left side, I’d look at the left side pivot bolt and bushings. 

David

The horizontal stabilizer is one piece. There are two pivot bolts just below the horizontal stab one on the right side and another on the left. The bottom junction is where the trim jackscrew attaches. If you have play on the left side, I’d look at the left side pivot bolt and bushings. 
David

And another tidbit I learned. At least on my vintage of Mooney, you can flip the elevator from side to side. The cutouts for the rudder hardware is on both of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Many have some play when wiggled by the stabilizer tips.  The holes in the fittings on the tail section are just bare aluminum while the bushing are chrome plated, the holes wear in time.  There is no provision to provide adequate lubrication other than spraying or dribbling and hoping it finds its way in.  

Clarence

63D31F17-5114-43D1-88FA-C2B19867E859.jpeg