Looking for some info on removing the rear section of the fuselage (tail section) I've heard from a few people it can and has been done so I don't have to remove the wing to get it on a trailer. The motor is already been removed. I'm an pilot, a&p, IA. And have the ability to do this. I would just like to know if anyone has done or seen this done pics...ect..... Tring to get the dues  and don'ts to make it a faster job.  Thanks for anyhelp.

1967 C20F

The MSC in NJ has a trailer set up for such an activity...

We have a guy that is Best known for dismembering Mooneys around here...

we also have a discussion constantly running on how this effects the value of the Mooney... something to consider when going through this process...

A Mooney That has been disassembled and reassembled by an unknown, yet qualified, mechanic can carry some risk... in terms of price and desireability...

It May make sense to hire a known expert if this is a project that will be for sale...

I don’t know enough about riviting... so... I would want my Mooney to come from the factory riveted together properly... materials and procedures and things like that...

Best regards,

-a-

I have kind of a related question: who pays the transport bill if one lands off-field ( presumably due to an emergency)?

I never noticed this in my Falcon Ins. contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

I have kind of a related question: who pays the transport bill if one lands off-field ( presumably due to an emergency)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The insurance company.

7 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

There's usually a clause with a transport limit.   I think mine is $14k or something like that.

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

The MSC in NJ has a trailer set up for such an activity...

We have a guy that is Best known for dismembering Mooneys around here...

we also have a discussion constantly running on how this effects the value of the Mooney... something to consider when going through this process...

A Mooney That has been disassembled and reassembled by an unknown, yet qualified, mechanic can carry some risk... in terms of price and desireability...

It May make sense to hire a known expert if this is a project that will be for sale...

I don’t know enough about riviting... so... I would want my Mooney to come from the factory riveted together properly... materials and procedures and things like that...

Best regards,

-a-

Taking it apart and putting it back together is no big deal and shouldn't effect the worth of the plane at all. You would be surprised the aircraft I've been part of or have seen that have been split in half ect... changing pressure bulkheads, service vehicle ran under it or into it.  Reskined the whole side left rear section on a CRJ900 that was hit by a snow plow last winter. So sheet metal does not scare me I've been doing it for 25 years commercially and in G-A....If it's done right it as as good as factory and in some cases better.  

Michael,

My comments are related to Mooneys, and the Mooney Market...

Definitely, I’m not saying anything about your skill or knowledge...

Mooneys get worked on by many people... there is a premium paid for known shops... and people avoid some known lesser shops...

And there are those that are surprised to find out later what they bought doesn’t match their expectation...

Just trying to help you understand what some people will be looking at or for...

Best regards,

-a-

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, Michael Monce said:

Looking for some info on removing the rear section of the fuselage (tail section) I've heard from a few people it can and has been done so I don't have to remove the wing to get it on a trailer. The motor is already been removed. I'm an pilot, a&p, IA. And have the ability to do this. I would just like to know if anyone has done or seen this done pics...ect..... Tring to get the dues  and don'ts to make it a faster job.  Thanks for anyhelp.

1967 C20F

You are referring to drilling out rivets aft of the cabin section and removing aft fuse, not just removing Tailcone like shown on pictures above?

To my understanding, TopGun done it on my friends 252 years ago and also, I think J. Presley (acpartswhse) wrote about it. Try to contact him by message. I'm quite sure most MSC did it one time or another and could give you an advice. It's quite elaborate and not sure what is faster, removing wings or aft fuse, but if you don't have to pay for it, why not.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, Igor_U said:

You are referring to drilling out rivets aft of the cabin section and removing aft fuse, not just removing Tailcone like shown on pictures above?

To my understanding, TopGun done it on my friends 252 years ago and also, I think J. Presley (acpartswhse) wrote about it. Try to contact him by message. I'm quite sure most MSC did it one time or another and could give you an advice. It's quite elaborate and not sure what is faster, removing wings or aft fuse, but if you don't have to pay for it, why not.

Good luck.

Yes....Thank you.  I've searched the old interweb and really cant fine anything about doing it. I'm going to document doing it and post it so in the future if anyone is in the same situation they at least have some sort of reference.  

I have done it.

\You take off the engine and engine mount.  Take off the empennage.  Put it on its main gear on a flat bed trailer with the wings the length of the trailer.  

Collapse the nose gear by disconnecting it, thus the firewall is at the flat bed trailer level and the tailcone is up in the air.  Block it, tie it down, use necessary padding/supports.  

Watch out for obstacles when driving.  

Dallas Air Salvage did it for me.  They are into moving aircraft.  $2000 back in 2004 to go about 15 minutes drive.

I have some pictures somewhere.

John Breda

• Like 1

For a short drive, that has to be the most effective/least invasive method.  But for a short body like my C it would still result in a 17' wide trailer load.

Not sure the best method for a long trip, like cross-country.

5 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

I have done it.

\You take off the engine and engine mount.  Take off the empennage.  Put it on its main gear on a flat bed trailer with the wings the length of the trailer.  

Collapse the nose gear by disconnecting it, thus the firewall is at the flat bed trailer level and the tailcone is up in the air.  Block it, tie it down, use necessary padding/supports.  

Watch out for obstacles when driving.  

Dallas Air Salvage did it for me.  They are into moving aircraft.  $2000 back in 2004 to go about 15 minutes drive.

I have some pictures somewhere.

John Breda

Thanks. Some pics would be nice. I'm doing it in a few weeks.    Not my plane but what I'm hoping to accomplish. 

N301KC-0326-b.jpg

Edited by Michael Monce
Add photo

You do not want to demate the tailcone from the fuselage.  That is the weakest part of the Mooney airframe.  Yes, there are 2 bulkheads bolted together in that transition, but you are better off either putting it on a flatbed trailer as I did (however you need to be careful traveling as the tailcone will be high in the air) or for long distances, demate the wing.  Dugosh used to have a trailer made for moving a Mooney with the wing off.

John Breda

9 hours ago, Michael Monce said:

Thanks. Some pics would be nice. I'm doing it in a few weeks.    Not my plane but what I'm hoping to accomplish. 

N301KC-0326-b.jpg

That airplane must have quite a story to tell.

Clarence

DMax does this by separating the tail from the cabin at the aft edge of the cage. By removing the tail there, and also taking the engine off the front, it will fit on a flat bed trailer without the Wide Load designation. And it's much easier to move it a longer distance.

On 4/10/2019 at 12:07 AM, Michael Monce said:

Taking it apart and putting it back together is no big deal and shouldn't effect the worth of the plane at all. You would be surprised the aircraft I've been part of or have seen that have been split in half ect... changing pressure bulkheads, service vehicle ran under it or into it.  Reskined the whole side left rear section on a CRJ900 that was hit by a snow plow last winter. So sheet metal does not scare me I've been doing it for 25 years commercially and in G-A....If it's done right it as as good as factory and in some cases better.  

Second that, Sheetmetal work is sheetmetal work as long as the tech fallows the procedures set by the manufacturer. But the name of who did it does matter in resale but I for one would not pass on it as long as everything check out.

Edited by Sixstring2k
Added more