Where are the east coast mooniacs ?

So my wife got her wish and we've uprooted and relocated from the pacific northwest to the east coast, more specifially the DELMAR area. Without getting too into the details, that meant leaving my daughter of 7 with her biological mother in Washington state. The goal now is to get a couple bills paid off, knock out my PPL checkride ASAP(written already passed & all flight requirements met),  start my I/R and get into ownership so we can pick her up and take her back as we want in our own mooney. Is there anyone in the area willing to let us get more familiar with their plane before we get into a purchase? In appreciation, if you take us out, the least we can do is cover your gas/fluids and probably your lunch/dinner too :D 

NJ mooney's is a relatively large group with a good variety of models. just keep an eye out on here and get @201er to add you to the E mail list. the next big event will be the fly in @ KUKT over memorial day weekend. but there are usually lunch flyouts once a month or so.

Brian 

5 minutes ago, orionflt said:

NJ mooney's is a relatively large group with a good variety of models. just keep an eye out on here and get @201er to add you to the E mail list. the next big event will be the fly in @ KUKT over memorial day weekend. but there are usually lunch flyouts once a month or so.

Brian 

That would be great! Thanks for the add / invite! 

-Jonathan

2 hours ago, orionflt said:

Brian 

Hey can you get 201er to add me to the mailer too?  Otherwise I might go now and then..   I have asked repeatedly but either he is missing my requests or I offended him?  

3 hours ago, BulletsRockts&MissilesOhMy said:

So my wife got her wish and we've uprooted and relocated from the pacific northwest to the east coast, more specifially the DELMAR area. Without getting too into the details, that meant leaving my daughter of 7 with her biological mother in Washington state. The goal now is to get a couple bills paid off, knock out my PPL checkride ASAP(written already passed & all flight requirements met),  start my I/R and get into ownership so we can pick her up and take her back as we want in our own mooney. Is there anyone in the area willing to let us get more familiar with their plane before we get into a purchase? In appreciation, if you take us out, the least we can do is cover your gas/fluids and probably your lunch/dinner too :D 

Hi. I’m at KILG in your neighborhood if you’d like to check out my BravoGX and go for a spin let me know

Dan

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Hey can you get 201er to add me to the mailer too?  Otherwise I might go now and then..   I have asked repeatedly but either he is missing my requests or I offended him?  

I’m in your boat also Erik. I’m just thinking there’s not much goin on, we need a reason to get those crabs

• Like 3

So my wife got her wish and we've uprooted and relocated from the pacific northwest to the east coast, more specifially the DELMAR area. Without getting too into the details, that meant leaving my daughter of 7 with her biological mother in Washington state. The goal now is to get a couple bills paid off, knock out my PPL checkride ASAP(written already passed & all flight requirements met),  start my I/R and get into ownership so we can pick her up and take her back as we want in our own mooney. Is there anyone in the area willing to let us get more familiar with their plane before we get into a purchase? In appreciation, if you take us out, the least we can do is cover your gas/fluids and probably your lunch/dinner too  

Where in the DelMar area are you? If 201er get you signed up for the New Jersey Mooney Yahoo group, you can always drop in one of the lunches if they are within driving distance or if someone is based near you, then can fly you out to the get together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Danb said:

I’m in your boat also Erik. I’m just thinking there’s not much goin on, we need a reason to get those crabs

Crabs!  Well if we won't ever be invited to New Jersey, we will still have a two - man fly in for crabs by the Chesapeake.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BulletsRockts&MissilesOhMy said:

That's a long trip in a Mooney. Have you tried planning that flight in whichever model you are considering?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orionflt said:

Brian 

There hasn’t been a single lunch fly out this year because this guy ^ talked me into switching shops this year.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Getting her to the east coast by Alaska Airlines would be a whole lot cheaper.  :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

That's a long trip in a Mooney. Have you tried planning that flight in whichever model you are considering?

Round trip on Southwest is $585.  

Round trip in a Mooney is about 30 hours, 300 gallons, or about $1200.

This don't make no damn sense to me.

8 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Round trip on Southwest is $585.  

Round trip in a Mooney is about 30 hours, 300 gallons, or about $1200.

This don't make no damn sense to me.

It can make sense when you fill the seats with people and pets and visit places along the way. ;)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BulletsRockts&MissilesOhMy said:

I’ve planned it out a couple times and looked at a few different routes. And yes, it’s long, no doubt, but there are some grandparents to visit along the route so thats plus. Good way to start/end summer break maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that makes more sense then.

• Like 1

Just keep in mind you absolutely would not be doing this to save money! Or time for that matter. Not gonna happen. The only reason to do it is because you love flying, your family is at least ok with it, and it’s really an excuse to take the trip while flying yourself. Also bearing in mind that your daughter will probably be at least 10 by the time you might have garnered a minimal amount of experience to unertake such a journey with acceptable skill and competence. 

• Like 5

Lets see... for BRM,OM...

1) If I wanted to know what it is like to buy a nice Mooney and have it long time, before I bought another nice Mooney and have it a long time.... That would be visiting with DanB.... the B must be for Bravo!

Dan photographed one of the most recent flights across the country...

2) If I wanted to know what it was like to buy a good Mooney and hold it forever... then upgrade every inch of it to better than new condition... that would be visiting with Marauder...

Marauder has recently photographed a few updates to the inside of his plane... and is a blast to speak with regarding integration of electronic devices...

3) If I wanted to find out how a young guy can buy a nice Mooney and travel from the Carribean to the Arctic Circle and land smoothly every time... 201er is the guy to see...

201er has video’d flying the arctic circle, a flight to Cuba, travelled from Mexico to around the Caribbean... and tied cans to the back of his flying wedding limo....

4) honorable mention for our friend Cris... who was my official Mooney CFI. Cris helped with the transformation of my ordinary O into a Standing O... he had shared the experience for transforming his Eagle into a Screamin’ Eagle...

5) A shout out to the people at Rocket Engineering for putting the IO550 in the front of a Mooney... and to the fine people at MidWest Mooney that made it 310 hp... Go Screamin’ Eagle, Standing O, or a simple Missile would do fine...

These fine folks helped me get back into flying a Mooney about the time it didn’t look so positive...  

If the only way you can get to an east coast fly-in is to drive a Chevy.... I highly recommend it!  :)

Afterall, a LongBody and a Chevy Tahoe have about the same interior volume... lots of extra space when solo...

Hope that comes off as inspirational...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MICKEY said:

@201er Can I also get on the NJ Mooney Group!  I'm also based at KILG and have used Dave at Airmods!  Great shop!

@Danb Where on the field are you at KILG?  Would love to see your Mooney and Lets do a flyout!  

West t’s the newer condo hangers. Where u

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 201er said:

There hasn’t been a single lunch fly out this year because this guy ^ talked me into switching shops this year.

I can sympathize with that! Mine is just now coming out of a 70-day annual, with ~6 hours of extra work agreed to along the way. Picking it up tomorrow!

My former IA, who did the owner-assisted annual in a long weekend in my hangar the last three years just retired again . . . . .  :(  after telling me that he was going to keep me on his worklist so his certs would stay valid.  :angry: