Vintage Mooney v. Comanche 180

Without a ComancheSpace... how does the new pilot find a knowledgable community to learn from?

• piloting techniques
  • IFR techniques
  • Maintenance questions
  • Answers from Comanche CFIIs...
  • Answers from Comanche SCs...

Just Wondering...

I happened upon MS while looking for an M20J/Missile.  I wanted a Missile, but needed confirmation regarding its heritage...

Don’t go it alone... be part of a community...

Best regards,

-a- 

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Without a ComancheSpace... how does the new pilot find a knowledgable community to learn from?

• piloting techniques
  • IFR techniques
  • Maintenance questions
  • Answers from Comanche CFIIs...
  • Answers from Comanche SCs...

Just Wondering...

I happened upon MS while looking for an M20J/Missile.  I wanted a Missile, but needed confirmation regarding its heritage...

Don’t go it alone... be part of a community...

Best regards,

-a- 

There's an (International?) Comanche Tribal Flyin in Lumberton, NC every year (KLBT). google will have the date, I'm thinking either Memorial Day or Labor Day. It's a roomy airport with lots of pavement and huge grassy areas for comfortable camping / sleeping.

I found MooneySpace while obsessively searching for information about the Mooney I had bought, with both transition training and MAPA PPP under my belt. The endless engineer's quest for more good information . . . . Over time, the format and slow response times of the Mooney Mailing Lists (regular and Tech lists) faded away, leaving me almost exclusively here. Trolls and abusive behavior drove me away from the AOPA forums, and the Purple Board just never caught me because I'd already landed here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

As I mentioned earlier the Comanche group isn’t as active as this group.  There are  few forums.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Comanches

https://www.comancheflyers.com/

When I owned a flew a Twin Comanche I found them useless.

The absolute best owner group by far is BeechTalk. MooneySpace is good. I truly believe that requiring real names leads to increased civility.

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I have anecdotal experience with to Comanches, a 250 and a 180.  The 180 was beautifully restored example that was a reasonable XC machine. Years ago we flew on station during July 4th fireworks and I could have lapped him with my F.  That 180 was a 130kt+ airplane.  It could have been mis-rigged after paint but the engine was not tired and the airframe was super clean. 

My friend and hangar neighb as a 250. Cruise speed is near as identical to my F as makes no difference, We'd have to race them side by side to see who would be a smidge faster.  The math would suggest his 250 should best my F in a race though would take 25 to 30% more fuel to do it.

When I had my F, a buddy with a Comanche 250 and I would race to lunch to an airport about an hour away. I would take off first and use every trick I could .think of and he would land before me. He was able to slow down fast,er than me.  I had him once but was to fast over the numbers an,d just floated and floated behind him. 

Usefull loads were similar, he had only 60 gallon tanks and. With the higher fuel burn, I could have beat him due to less fuel stops on a 1500 mile cross country. 

4 hours ago, N803RM said:

When I had my F, a buddy with a Comanche 250 and I would race to lunch to an airport about an hour away. I would take off first and use every trick I could .think of and he would land before me. He was able to slow down fast,er than me.  I had him once but was to fast over the numbers an,d just floated and floated behind him. 

Usefull loads were similar, he had only 60 gallon tanks and. With the higher fuel burn, I could have beat him due to less fuel stops on a 1500 mile cross country. 

I used to fly a 250. Great airplane, and fast.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N803RM said:

Early 250’s were 180’s with an O-540. Piper soon realized that more fuel was required, they soon added an extra 30 gallons, for a total of 90.

Clarence

8 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

When I owned a flew a Twin Comanche I found them useless.

The absolute best owner group by far is BeechTalk. MooneySpace is good. I truly believe that requiring real names leads to increased civility.

Signature required is a great idea.  You’ll note that I sign my name to every post.  I’ve never typed anything here that I wouldn’t put my name to.

Clarence

3 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Signature required is a great idea.  You’ll note that I sign my name to every post.  I’ve never typed anything here that I wouldn’t put my name to.

Clarence

Ditto. But I'm less worried about rude posts, we weed those folks out pretty well, I think, I'd just like to remember names for the times when we have real meet up opportunities.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 11:42 PM, Hank said:

There's an (International?) Comanche Tribal Flyin in Lumberton, NC every year (KLBT). google will have the date, I'm thinking either Memorial Day or Labor Day. It's a roomy airport with lots of pavement and huge grassy areas for comfortable camping / sleeping.

I searched on Google but didn't find it. It's close enough to me it would be interesting to drop by.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, KLRDMD said:

it’s a great point.  There’s a lot to be said for having nothing to hide, even in the internet age.  I haven’t spent much time on Beechtalk - the interface is so much better over here but will have to give another try.

I looked at both Comanches and Mooney’s in the process.  I would have preferred a Comanche but didn’t buy one for three main reasons:

1.) Comanches are generally priced higher then Mooney’s (I found about a $20k differential). 

2.) I found very few good condition Comanches and the ones that were, see point #1. 

3.) The factory flooded and all the original tooling is gone.  It maybe incredibly expensive for a Mooney factory part but they can and do make all parts.  In Piper’s case you only have wrecks for many parts.