G3X panel pics?

There is a discussion of people making the decision based on actual experience in another thread...

Their actual experience may be from other planes...

There are also some TXi installs that have occurred recently...

All awesome stuff compared to the needles and ball...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

I’m considering it as well @Nippernaper.  Out of curiosity, what was the complete package you went with? G3X + G5? Engine monitor option? GFC500?  I would do the G3X tomorrow if it played with my KAP150 but unfortunately it does not.

Im sure this was covered in the big G3X thread but is the G5 the only backup allowed or could I leave my current electric backup attitude indicator?

1 hour ago, Nippernaper said:

My install starts next week; will post pics when its in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll all want to know a rough $$ as well as which options you went with.... looks like an awesome system!

My current panel is straight out of 1992. Kx170b's, stock engine gauges, no engine monitor, no gps (well, a kln89, but that hardly counts!).
I was going to go with dual g5's, edm 900, gtn 650, gtx 345, but with the recent offerings by garmin, a g3x touch with a g5 backup and a gnx375, plus a couple of used sl30's actually ended up being cheaper. My panel is in bad physical condition, so I'm going with a whole new unit, powder coated. I have an STEC 30, and am quite happy with it having flown a lot of ifr by hand and with only a wing leveler. Looking forward to GPSS. If I can't handle the glide slope on my own, maybe I shouldnt be flying ifr!
I bought the plane last year, and had included this upgrade in the budget. The factory engine gauges are starting to go wonky, and the EIS option on the g3x is pretty comprehensive, and cheaper overall than the edm. Of course, everyone's situation is different, but this combo made a lot of sense for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was in a similar spot but I’m not yet doing as large of an upgrade as you.  I had scheduled an install for a GTX-345 right before the 375 came out.  I currently have a KT-76A and KLN-94.  The cost of the GTX installed was going to be $6500.  I was quoted $8500 on the 375 installed (plus an annoying $1700 to upgrade my Sandel software).  Kind of a no brainer considering a 650 (similar size to the 375) + 345 would be $18-20K.  I know it’s not a apples to apples since the 650 has comms...  

I am probably going the same route as DavidV...but not sure as I think the GNX375 misses out on VNAV capability offered by the GTN650.  Then again, I don't have VNAV now with the KLN94...is it worth the extra $10k for the 650/345 combo??

• Like 1

That’s true, and the 375 currently is not supported by ForeFlight which will be tough for me at first but I’m pretty confident they will support it soon.  I also need to do something with my PFD at some point in the near future so the smaller screen on the 375 wasn’t a factor since the relevant data may be shown on a G3X or G500.

14 hours ago, Nippernaper said:

My current panel is straight out of 1992. Kx170b's, stock engine gauges, no engine monitor, no gps (well, a kln89, but that hardly counts!).

KX-170b's were out of the 70's or maaaaybe early 80's, but I doubt it. They may not look modern but they were some of the most reliable radios ever made and people still work on them today. The face can be cleaned up and renewed to improve the appearance.

The KLN89 didn't come out til mid 90's, however if it's an KLN89B and it has a current database it's approved for non-precision approaches as well as IFR enroute.

1 hour ago, M20C66Q said:

Currently in the process of installing a Garmin G3X in my '65 M20C, along with some other upgrades. Take a look at my cad drawing that is to scale.  N5866Q Panel.pdf

It’s a very personal decision, but I’m very happy with the autopilot control panel at the top of the radio stack next to the PFD.

looking forward to seeing your final product!

I will be sure to share before and after pictures. It should be completed around early June. The engine is off, too, getting OH :)... The Clock is the MD93 USB/Clock, it is really there for just the two USB ports it provides.

Edited by M20C66Q

Currently in the process of installing a Garmin G3X in my '65 M20C, along with some other upgrades. Take a look at my cad drawing that is to scale.  N5866Q Panel.pdf

Have you already received the parts?

I am also currently in the installation process, but Garmin didn‘t deliver the parts as announced ... :-(

• 3 weeks later...

An update on my install: 

Still waiting on parts from Garmin as well.  Were supposed to arrive last week, but no sign of them, and no indication when they will ship.  You would think since this is an existing product, they would have stock available.

I'm also discovering some rather nasty surprises Garmin has built in.  If you are using a non-garmin autopilot, you can only connect 1 (one) nav source to the G3x.  I'm installing a GNX375 and an SL-30, but with this latest twist, won't be able to connect the SL-30 in any way shape or form to the G3X, due to a connection with the STEC-30 that's in the plane.  Sooo, after all this, I'll still need a separate CDI indicator for the nav radio.  Makes absolutely no sense.  I'm wondering if this isn't a dirty trick to push you toward the GFC500.  Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper.

46 minutes ago, Nippernaper said:

I'm also discovering some rather nasty surprises Garmin has built in.  If you are using a non-garmin autopilot, you can only connect 1 (one) nav source to the G3x.  I'm installing a GNX375 and an SL-30, but with this latest twist, won't be able to connect the SL-30 in any way shape or form to the G3X, due to a connection with the STEC-30 that's in the plane.  Sooo, after all this, I'll still need a separate CDI indicator for the nav radio.  Makes absolutely no sense.  I'm wondering if this isn't a dirty trick to push you toward the GFC500.  Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper.

It's probably just that there are only two connections available on the G3X, not any sort of trick. This product was designed several years ago, for a different market (experimental) that is largely new installations and probably using Garmin's autopilot as well, so they didn't anticipate a need for more.