Well repaired old wingtip replacement: how much of a resale hit?

doc_arcadia

Hi, all. I'm in the process of buying my first airplane, a pre-j model Mooney. It's in good shape, clean, a few minor issues. 

One of those issues is an old wingtip replacement, probably due to a belly landing in the 1970s. There was no contemporary log entry of the replacement, but its recently had an inspection and a 337. The replacement is under the structure of the wing skins, and can only be seen if the wing inspection panel is removed to reveal the new wingtip section solidly riveted onto the inboard wing spar.

I really have no doubt that this would not adversely affect the operational characteristics of the airplane ... but I have to wonder if it would affect resale value. 

Does anyone perhaps have any thoughts on a quality replacement, non-original, wingtip on an old Mooney and how such a replacement (if done well, and with a new FAA 337) might affect resale value?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I don't have pics. It's an M20G. There is no current known damage; the wingtip was simply replaced (and very professionally, as well). As above, I have no doubts as to the functionality of the wing at this point, just wonder if anyone has some thoughts regarding the resale hit such a repair might generate, as opposed to an equally functional but factory-original wingtip.

It's got a known gear up  landing in the 1970s, which is likely when the wing damage occurred. So, yes, it does have damage history. Would damage history for which repairs included replacement of the outboard section of the wing under the skin, assuming repair was done well, be a large resale-value hit above the fact of having had a gear up landing? (in your opinion) 

We just bought a '66 E that had a right gear collapse a few years ago, causing wing tip damage. The repairs were done very well. Not a concern for me, at all. 

I'd personally look at the overall condition and pricing, without a focus on that particular issue... if that makes sense?

It's got a known gear up  landing in the 1970s, which is likely when the wing damage occurred. So, yes, it does have damage history. Would damage history for which repairs included replacement of the outboard section of the wing under the skin, assuming repair was done well, be a large resale-value hit above the fact of having had a gear up landing? (in your opinion) 

No, not at all. A properly repaired gear up incident 50 years ago should have 0 stigma today. Replacing damaged parts with new parts pretty much eliminates any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at this way....

1) A plane with no damage history may sell at a premium....

2) there are a few MSers that would pay extra for that...

3) Some sheet metal and structure of a plane can be replaced properly... and it would be near impossible to tell the difference....

4) The log books have The Who and what was done...

5) Know that some planes with damage history will not be bought by some people...

6) in a vibrant economy... airplanes become hard to find... they change hands pretty easily...

7) in a contracting economy... planes start to languish... only the best exchange hands in a reasonable amount of time...

8) When it comes to who did the work... if it was done by Mooney, or DMax it will be done properly with excellent documentation...

9) If it was repaired by an unknown shop... somebody is not going to buy it....

10) this is a lesson of supply/demand/economy/individual preference...

11) Tough question... that is only answered sometime in the future.... when conditions will probably have changed...

12) solution... pick two very similar planes that meet your mission... select the better of the two...

It is easy to prefer NDH... but, to buy it, it costs extra...

PP thoughts only, not a sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-