Printable panel template file M20K

I know there is a computer program available for purchase which has hundreds of types and is marketed towards avionics shops. I have also seen people post images and talk about CAD files for templates. I'm curious if anyone has a file of panel templates/blanks. Basically an outline with no specific configuration. Just the contour for the glareshield and the spot on the right with the angle where the circuit breakers are located. 

I did a quick search and I found people posting images but I am looking for a full to scale template to plan it out. Hoping to find something in a format that I can bring to Staples and have them print off on large paper and I will draw and plan what I want with a 1:1 ratio. 

If anyone knows of a way I can do this for low cost/free, or maybe has files they could send me, it would be greating appreciated. 

1980 M20K.

20190123_193314.jpg

I have done my panel with their European partner. The free program works very well for that purpose. I can share my panel file whoch contains all the cutouts assuming that they are using the same software/format.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. So you're saying you can send me a file which will work with their free downloadable software? Is their software actually free? Or will they have templates of these panels? And are these files able to be printed on large paper at staples?

The software I used from their partner is free. Once you are done with the design you can order that panel directly from within the software. I sent them the right aircraft aluminum bare material to use and received a very nice panel power coated and engraved for a very reasonable price.

For printing the software allows for printing on multiple sheets that you can glue together.

Kevin,

I have a cad file for the 231 and can lay out a nice panel for you and supply some hardware like an edm900.  I’ve done a few Mooney panels, and my favourite layout is moving the flight instruments up and centred on the control column.  Looking forward to doing a G3x. I also do matching G5 flush mounts for one stop service.

I’m in Vancouver BC, and also can ship from WA state.  I need input from you and your IA to qualify as an owner mfg part.  I see no reason to shock mount the panel anymore, the new electronic displays are designed to be mounted in solid panels.  Then you can combine the little LHS key switch panel into the main panel? The Garmin STC,s give enough information to allow remaking a panel. 

Personally, I think the odds of getting it right the first time yourself are remote.  There’s too much of a learning curve with MFG drawing errors, paint clearances, interference behind the panel etc.

AND, it is not an easy task to get the bottom formed with a 1/2” radius.  I have a guy with a 120t press and a nice dye.

I’ve posted a few panel pictures in my albums. I’ll be doing my own 252 shortly.

Aerodon

supercub180@gmail.com

• Like 1

Thanks Aerodon. My plan was not to do a full design myself and cut it myself. I was simply going to print it off and place what I wanted as close to where it should be and figure out what fits. Then give it to my avionics guy and he could adjust slightly as needed.

Thanks for the message. I will send you an email in the next couple days and maybe we can work something out. I have to call Garmin this week and make a final decision on all the equipement. I definitely like the idea of eliminating that separate panel on the left and making it one single piece. 

Just messing around tonight.  This is my M20K panel with a G500Txi 7" portrait with an EDM900 landscape and a 3.125" hole for a G5.  I'll get my hands on a G3X panel template ad try that next.

My understanding is that a G5 can backup a G3x.  The EDM900 is a better / lower cost option than the Garmin EIS?

The Mooney panel is already close to the pilot's eyes, so I'm thinking a G3x is big enough to read easily.  I know the EDM900 is just fine in that location.

Aerodon

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.46.29 PM.png

• Like 1

Just messing around tonight.  This is my M20K panel with a G500Txi 7" portrait with an EDM900 landscape and a 3.125" hole for a G5.  I'll get my hands on a G3X panel template ad try that next.

My understanding is that a G5 can backup a G3x.  The EDM900 is a better / lower cost option than the Garmin EIS?

The Mooney panel is already close to the pilot's eyes, so I'm thinking a G3x is big enough to read easily.  I know the EDM900 is just fine in that location.

If I was cutting a new panel, I would flush mount the G5 and the JPI.

How much difference is there between the Js and Ks? And how much variation from 1 year models to the next? I know from another thread the glare shields changed on the Js.

And if doing the G3X, might as well add GFC 500 ( I would put it on the left, not the radio stack, because it’s not normal radio stack depth.

Tom

OK, here's the next iteration with flush mount JPI and G5.  And I have moved the radio stack left.  I am going to try a single 3/4 panel with the radios mounted 'in front' of the panel rather than the traditional 6.25" column.  I'm going for the minimalist look, with remote transponder and audio panel, remote DME, GTN750, GNC255, WX500 etc.

I know that's a lot of eggs in one basket, but I have faith in new electronics, and the fallback to a GNC255/G5 display and no intercom.  And a 660, and soon to be released 796 replacement.

By adjusting the spacers, its possible to get the EDM900 and G5 flush with the 500Txi or G3x.

I've shown a second G500txi, but that space is really for a flush mount iPad for the copilot to follow along.

I still have a good KFC150, so will hold off the GFC500 - but there will be space for it at the top of the stack, just like turboprops and jets.

Aerodon 

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 10.49.44 AM.png

• Like 1

With the K model and its radio stack hump, what do people do to fit a flat glareshield after redoing their panel like this?  Can you just order one for a different model from Mooney that fits or do you just rebuild it from scratch, integrating appropriate lights and wiring and maybe doing a nice leather wrap or something?

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, I think my drawing will fit J's and K's, with or without the hump.  I've drawn it 3/4 of the way across, but its easy to insert cut lines anywhere.  The factory had the small 'ignition switch panel' - non floating.  Then the main panel - floating.  Then the radio start #1, and #2, then CB panel.

I don't believe it's necessary to 'shock mount' the panels anymore, in fact you would want G5's and G3x's firmly mounted?  So no point in having the separate 'key' panel on the LHS.

Aerodon

Tom, I think my drawing will fit J's and K's, with or without the hump.  I've drawn it 3/4 of the way across, but its easy to insert cut lines anywhere.  The factory had the small 'ignition switch panel' - non floating.  Then the main panel - floating.  Then the radio start #1, and #2, then CB panel.
I don't believe it's necessary to 'shock mount' the panels anymore, in fact you would want G5's and G3x's firmly mounted?  So no point in having the separate 'key' panel on the LHS.

Do you have the measurements from LHS to left radio stack, and it’s height? I’ll check mine to confirm. Isn’t the key panel slightly bent, so that’s another the reason to keep it separate?

Tom

Tom,  

My drawing is based on an M20J panel that I received from Scott.  I have different layers so can cut individual panels like the OEM layout, or combine to get rid of the clock panel.  I see your clock panel is canted, whereas the later models were flat.  And at some point even the CB panel is flat.

The 3/4 panel is still a work in progress - I shifted the radio stack right, and have no idea if that will conflict with the structure behind.

The drawing is just the starting point - I move things around until I/you are happy, then cut.  If it doesn't fit - edit and cut again.

Don

• 2 weeks later...