GPS Rollover Event April 6 2019

Sounds awfully similar to Y2K computer issues...

Y2K was a huge get ready, Determine your overall risk, wait for the day... stand by....

Celebrate that nothing happened out of the ordinary...

Computers that were ask risk, were ancient, short on memory, and short on computing power.... they only used two numbers for the year... and the software wasn’t written to handle 00 coming after 99...

Each OEM should be familiar with their hardware and this challenge.  And... they should have prepared a statement and posted it already to their website...

If your hardware is completely unsupported because the OEM no longer exists... then you might have a hidden challenge...

So... be ready with your back-up plan... Expect the computer world to have your back... it isn’t y2k anymore...

Know that most GPS devices were built after the y2k experience...!

PP thoughts only, not a computer guru...

Best regards,

-a-

Has anyone been affected by this?  My old (ancient, actually) Garmin GPS155 can't find any satellites. 

Then again, my wife is on the verge of approving a purchase of the new GPS175, so this might be a blessing in disguise. 

(I haven't told her yet that I'll need a new indicator, so I might as well get a G5.  I'll tell her that part at OSH.)

I flew on the 6th, later in the day and noticed that it took the GTN 650 a lot longer to acquire satellites. It eventually got 3D coverage but took several minutes. I thought it was due to the jamming stuff that was going on but it may be this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Had lunch with a buddy Wednesday and said his Dynon D-1 stopped working, worked fine the day before but Saturday was a no-go. Would boot up then an error about GPS and would turn off

Make sure he has the latest firmware: http://www.dynonavionics.com/pocket-panel-software-update.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:10 PM, Andy95W said:

Has anyone been affected by this?  My old (ancient, actually) Garmin GPS155 can't find any satellites. 

Well, it seems my G100 (now, that's ancient!) could not find location as well during my ADSB post-install rebate flight. So, rollover might be an issue even if Garmin said it should not. Shucks! GPS175 would fit nice as it is the same size but I really want to replace it all with something like Avidyne IFD and get rid of my old king Navcom.

19 hours ago, flyingcheesehead said:

There's a thread over on Beechtalk... Apparently, all of the L-3 Lynx NGT-9000s quit displaying weather data because they think it's 1999. 

Oops.

Yep! This also includes METARs and winds aloft data. The latest word is that they hope to have a solution to their Dealers by the end of May. Their Dealers are the same Avionics Shops that are backed up for months with ADS-B installs. I’m sure that they will be willing to set aside all of that work to update our Lynx units for us...

1 hour ago, Igor_U said:

Short sightless and bad design?

Reminds me of F22 squadron crossing international date line and had system crash.

That was pretty funny, honestly... although the pilots flying during that trans pac didn’t think so at the time!  

Classic Lock-Mar.

• Like 1