Another GPS Interference Testing

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

And yet another one. Someone preparing for a war?

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2019/Apr/ADW130_19-01_(Revision_1)_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

try this one on for size....

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2019/Apr/ADW130_19-01_(Revision_1)_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

Something doesn’t want to make this easy....:)

-a-

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

And here is another one FLIGHT ADVISORY - GPS Interference Testing 16 – 24 January 2020 Off-The-Coast

What's the level of concern? Have you guys experienced issues in similar situations? I know I can use VOR, etc...

It should not impact flying outside of the dates in the advisory (below). I will be flying on the 20th in SC and AL...

16 JAN 20  1200Z – 2100Z

17 JAN 20  1330Z – 1700Z

18 JAN 20  1700Z – 2359Z

23 JAN 20  1200Z – 2359Z

24 JAN 20  1130Z – 2359Z 

On the early days of GPS you needed to have LORAN C for redundancy. Trimble came out with the TNL 3000T GPS/LORAN C navigator that would operate on LORAN mode in case of GPS unavailability. Wish the LORAN C network still available. Later on the US gov. was to improve to eLORAN for accuracies of those of GPS. I had an Apollo 618 LORAN C and love it. 

Opens image gallery

Edited by Gagarin

4 hours ago, FastTex said:

And here is another one FLIGHT ADVISORY - GPS Interference Testing 16 – 24 January 2020 Off-The-Coast

What's the level of concern? Have you guys experienced issues in similar situations? I know I can use VOR, etc...

It should not impact flying outside of the dates in the advisory (below). I will be flying on the 20th in SC and AL...

16 JAN 20  1200Z – 2100Z

17 JAN 20  1330Z – 1700Z

18 JAN 20  1700Z – 2359Z

23 JAN 20  1200Z – 2359Z

24 JAN 20  1130Z – 2359Z 

Looks like the 20th won't be an issue. So far, despite these things in the Atlantic and Gulf, I've not had problems. Yet.

Just have a functioning VOR and maybe an updated Low Enroute and you should be fine. I flew 06A-->6A2 and back, having left my freshly-updated Garmin card at home, sitting on my tablet. So I flew visually, by pilotage, and even the cloud buildup on the GA/AL line didn't throw me off significantly. But I got my license in a 172 with only a single VOR and an ADF, but the local NDB was unusable beyond 10 miles so I never touched the ADF.

Children of the Magenta Line, beware!!  :ph34r:

The only strange thing I've ever seen was flying back from San Diego a couple of years ago. I was just east of Yuma about 10 feet outside the restricted area surrounding the Yuma Proving Grounds.

I was showing a traffic target about a mile off my left wing on my iPad with Stratus. I didn't have built in traffic at the time. It was not my shadow or a false return from me. I had everyone in the plane looking for this traffic. It was at my altitude. We saw nothing. The target then accelerated to a very high speed until it was a couple of miles ahead of me. It sidestepped to the south and now was about 1/2 mile off my right wing. It then slowed down to about 50 KTS until I caught up with it, it then stayed in formation with me for a few minuets. It then climbed a thousand feet, turned north and flew directly over me at high speed.

Nobody in the plane saw anything out the window, and we were looking real hard.