Surprise KERI Fee

Rant on.... I just got a bill for KERI, $25USD for a light single.  Last time I was there, there was no fee.  The KERI website says nothing.  Skyvector says no fee for singles.  A/FD says no fee for singles.  Auurrrggg !

As others have said, it's not the $25.  It's not being told ahead of time, nothing documented, nothing said while you're there, and then getting a bill in the mail!

Rant on.... I just got a bill for KERI, $25USD for a light single.  Last time I was there, there was no fee.  The KERI website says nothing.  Skyvector says no fee for singles.  A/FD says no fee for singles.  Auurrrggg !
As others have said, it's not the $25.  It's not being told ahead of time, nothing documented, nothing said while you're there, and then getting a bill in the mail!

Was it the airport or the FBO? I see landing fees listed for the FBO but as you pointed out, nothing for singles in the AFD.

ce3f3f6a3f90bd2097758e8fbd5de994.jpg
61a388af3c205883ddb46abf3ed7ff04.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

18 minutes ago, Hank said:

Print out the AFD page that says no fee, staple it to the bill and send it back to them. Write "NO FEE" on the invoice in large red letters.

I complained and they let me off the hook as a courtesy, but said I'd be charged next time.....   but there won't be a next time.

2 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I complained and they let me off the hook as a courtesy, but said I'd be charged next time.....   but there won't be a next time.

They’re clearly messed up.  From the chart above a Piper Navajo is only 21.00.

Clarence

3 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

So you knew there was a Fee from a previous visit?

1 minute ago, M20Doc said:

They’re clearly messed up.  From the chart above a Piper Navajo is only 21.00.

Clarence

From the "courtesy" email:.

Effective 3/1/2019 the following fee schedule applies: 

• 0 to 6,000 pounds---$25.00

• 6,001 to 15,000 pounds---$50.00

• 15,001 to 30,000 pounds---$75.00

• 30,001 to 60,000 pounds---$150.00

• 60,001 pounds or greater---$250.00

6 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

So you knew there was a Fee from a previous visit?

There was no fee for the three previous visits.  Getting the mailed invoice for the most recent visit was a surprise.  There had been a charge many moons ago, but that charge was long removed for singles.  Apparently this was just reversed with no documentation anywhere to show that.

"Thank you for coming to visit us. Please pay now that you have arrived. The signs will be posted soon." 

Makes me want to stay away, especially with the level they are charging, even if clearly announced and known in advance (neither of which apply this time).

• Like 1

Really disheartening to hear. KERI was one of the first XCs I did with an instructor. I've landed there a few times since getting my license to go ride the wooden roller coaster. Definitely will avoid for the future if I can.

I just checked KGSO as we’ll be clearing customs there on our way to Sun N Fun.  No landing fees from the airport, but ramp fees from Signature waived with fuel purchase and none from their competitor.

Clarence

According to the CEO of Signature  small aircraft are not in their business plan

This was stated a long time ago. They really don't want to deal with us. 

They want the carriage crowd with blow torches. 

It cost them just as much in labor to fuel us as it does a 1,000 gallons of Jet A. 

Follow the money. 

On 4/3/2019 at 8:38 AM, cliffy said:

According to the CEO of Signature  small aircraft are not in their business plan

This was stated a long time ago. They really don't want to deal with us. 

They want the carriage crowd with blow torches. 

It cost them just as much in labor to fuel us as it does a 1,000 gallons of Jet A. 

Follow the money. 

I can understand Signature's point and it is evident in the prices they charge for 100LL.  Also I'm sure it does take more time for them to pump 1000 gallons than it does to pump 40 or 50 gallons in our planes.  Furthermore, once they have X linemen on site their cost is fixed no matter if he is pumping 40 gallons of 100LL or 1000 gallons of jet A especially if the linemen are sitting down waiting for the next plane.

However, when they are the only FBO on the airport it would be nice if they at least offered a convenient reasonably priced self serve alternative so we are not imposing on their Jet A market and a tie down spot away from the main door.  While it is nice to be right up front and the red carpet rolled out for you and a lineman standing there with a cold bottle of water but I do not need that.

• Like 2

In related threads also, we hear that it's prudent to check ahead for fees, so I wanted to update this to show how that can still be an issue.  I received yet another email from KERI saying that actually, contrary to the previous email that said the $25US was a landing fee, that the fees are actually for customs ramp use and the airport doesn't have a landing fee despite a few days earlier being told that they are in the process of updating the FAA (and hence AIRNAV) that they HAVE implemented a landing fee.

Out of curiosity I called customs at KERI who said they didn't have any fees for their ramp or anything else, but the FBO might be charging fees even though I don't use the FBO ramp.

I called the FBO who said they don't have a ramp fee, but do charge a  $5US landing fee for the airport.

Round and round and round it goes.....  is it $5 or $25... or maybe both?  Are they in addition to the implemented but not yet documented landing fee?  or maybe some or all of the fees are only for Canadians flying to the US?

Crazy!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

In related threads also, we hear that it's prudent to check ahead for fees, so I wanted to update this to show how that can still be an issue.  I received yet another email from KERI saying that actually, contrary to the previous email that said the $25US was a landing fee, that the fees are actually for customs ramp use and the airport doesn't have a landing fee despite a few days earlier being told that they are in the process of updating the FAA (and hence AIRNAV) that they HAVE implemented a landing fee.

Out of curiosity I called customs at KERI who said they didn't have any fees for their ramp or anything else, but the FBO might be charging fees even though I don't use the FBO ramp.

I called the FBO who said they don't have a ramp fee, but do charge a  $5US landing fee for the airport.

Round and round and round it goes.....  is it $5 or $25... or maybe both?  Are they in addition to the implemented but not yet documented landing fee?  or maybe some or all of the fees are only for Canadians flying to the US?

Crazy!

Stick with the earlier email stating the fee was waived or non existent ignore them further and boast to everyone you know on any site Airnav, Flight aware etc. stay away from KERI if at all possible.

Being based in Erie, I spoke with the people at the top of the FBO food chain.   The FBO does not charge anything for single piston.    The Erie Airport Authority charges $5 for non-customs use.  $25 if you use customs.    These are recent changes and in some case were increased 5X for customs use.

bradb

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Being based in Erie, I spoke with the people at the top of the FBO food chain.   The FBO does not charge anything for single piston.    The Erie Airport Authority charges $5 for non-customs use.  $25 if you use customs.    These are recent changes and in some case were increased 5X for customs use.

bradb

Burke Lakefront in Cleveland does the same thing.  The City assesses the $5 single engine landing fee, by mail, a few weeks after you land.  Really???? Between the stamp and administrative fees, they clearly spend more money collecting than they collect.  Where are the "smart" people??

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Burke Lakefront in Cleveland does the same thing.  The City assesses the $5 single engine landing fee, by mail, a few weeks after you land.  Really???? Between the stamp and administrative fees, they clearly spend more money collecting than they collect.  Where are the "smart" people??

Tom

Yep. Got my bill from Burke a few weeks after visiting.   

Ditto for Toronto: Closer to $20 for that   Canada ATC bills take longer to arrive.  

Edited by Jerry 5TJ

23 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Yep. Got my bill from Burke a few weeks after visiting.   

Ditto for Toronto: Closer to $20 for that   Canada ATC bills take longer to arrive.  

Agree on that.  Have gotten $25 Canadian ATC bills for essentially 2 transmissions, in freakin Michigan no less (USA).   In the U.P. the far eastern section is under Canadian ATC Services.   

Tom

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

They are working for the FAA in the registration fee department...

• Like 1