My wife has lost her mind!

So the swmbo has been more than encouraging since I started working towards my ppl and, fortunately for me, she likes low winged aircraft. Flying in from work today, working offshore and riding along in a s92, she sent me a text of an airplane saying that this is what she wanted to save for. What is this plane you ask? A Cessna 414!?!?!?  I immediately told her that that was WAY beyond what I needed for my 80-90%. I love her enthusiasm but I do not want a twin. I’ve alre been feeding to food hungry boys and I don’t need to feed a fuel hungry twin. Now I just need to get her in a rocket and ease her into wanting one of those...lol

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

I wanted to buy a 231. My wife started sending me ads for Ovations and Bravos. It’s great to have buy-in from the CFO!

And here I was looking to work my way into a F model. Guess I need to raise my hopes and swing for the Os or Bravos and hope to land in the k models

Sit your wife down in a few different types- don’t sit her in anything you don’t want to buy. When she says yes to a plane- focus on that type. Mooneys are great- but a supportive wife is better than a Mooney. The best plane for any mission is one your spouse likes. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, smccray said:

Sit your wife down in a few different types- don’t sit her in anything you don’t want to buy. When she says yes to a plane- focus on that type. Mooneys are great- but a supportive wife is better than a Mooney. The best plane for any mission is one your spouse likes. 

and this is why cirrus is selling so well

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I agree. Cirrus did a great job in making the planes feel comfortable and familiar to non-pilots. Parachute is a huge factor for non-pilots as well (and some pilots). I don’t know how you intended the comment, but definitely not something to fault them for.

3 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

I agree. Cirrus did a great job in making the planes feel comfortable and familiar to non-pilots. Parachute is a huge factor for non-pilots as well (and some pilots). I don’t know how you intended the comment, but definitely not something to fault them for.

I've never flown one, and I'd take a BO or a M20 any day over one, but their marketing team deserves everything. They do an insane job. Take their marketing team and move them to Mooney, and I'd guarantee that Mooney's sales would at least duplicate. kind of like Garmin.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Ten will get you twenty they end up in a Cirrus  :wacko:

1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

LOL.  We flew to Austin for Thanksgiving many years ago.  There was an SR22 rental plane sitting on the ramp under the cover at Austin Executive airport with the doors up.  We were walking past the plane and my wife exclaimed, "What is that!" clearly attracted to the sexy bird.  I told her, "It's $450K."  She kept staring but the conversation moved on pretty quickly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes she has, and it’s a beautiful thing... isn’t it?

Cirrus going fast?

CR...

Never crush the creativity of people going your way... :)

Simple logic applies.

Aviation is something that has many levels...

1) Single engine, land plane is just the opener...

2) High performance is another rung on the ladder...

3) Getting an IR is another rung...

4) Going twin or turbine... is further up the ladder...

5) If you have the time, and the money... what keeps you from going all the way up the ladder?

6) Twins often cost less than the similar Mooney to purchase... Engine OH is scary economics...

There are a few of us around here working on their own personal plan, similar to your family... some have recently moved up to the right seat of a regional airline, or flying a single engine Cirrus...

Go for it!

Whatever your It is....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Creekrat said:

So the swmbo has been more than encouraging since I started working towards my ppl and, fortunately for me, she likes low winged aircraft. Flying in from work today, working offshore and riding along in a s92, she sent me a text of an airplane saying that this is what she wanted to save for. What is this plane you ask? A Cessna 414!?!?!?  I immediately told her that that was WAY beyond what I needed for my 80-90%. I love her enthusiasm but I do not want a twin. I’ve alre been feeding to food hungry boys and I don’t need to feed a fuel hungry twin. Now I just need to get her in a rocket and ease her into wanting one of those...lol

No problems...she certainly knows how much dough is in coffee can...suggust for the very fastest ,safeast we could afford a Pilatus or Meridian....how does she feel about going back to work?

Let her look at a Twin Mooney -err- Twin Comanche   165kts on 15 gph. It actually flies well on one engine. About the same price point as a good Mooney.

Had my Mooney and a TC once, at the same time. Both were/are great airplanes. Kept the Mooney after retirement. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

As I was descending into Georgetown, TX today the controller kept calling me a Cirrus. I wanted to say “I may be going that fast, but I didn’t pay near that much!”

Sometimes it's funny when they're wrong. I was descending into CRW to meet the DPE for my Instrument ride and Tower called me "Baron" twice, just because my groundspeed was ~165 knots. 

Then again, when my carb heat failed wide open, ATL approach asked if I was really a Mooney as I limped home around the Bravo, wondering what was going on . . . .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
If she was thinking c414, listen to her. Pressurized, A/C, and the most important:a toilet. Our Mooney’s are amazing but can’t compare to a nice cabin class twin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t the big Cessnas have a problem with breaking apart? I read some anecdotes about that on JetCareers. Apparently you need to watch your decent speeds? Just a thought.

Don’t the big Cessnas have a problem with breaking apart? I read some anecdotes about that on JetCareers. Apparently you need to watch your decent speeds? Just a thought.

The only 414 I’m aware of with a possible inflight breakup was this past Feb in CA.

Something about penetrating convective weather; not sure if the pre-lim is out

Twin Cessnas offer a lot. The 414, IIRC, needs some TLC with respect to the engine beams, as they are susceptible to corrosion based on proximity to the turbo.

That is not a cheap fix, as the engine and prop have to come off, them drill out rivets to put a new one on.

Add to it older 414s with threaded McCauley prop hubs tend to leak. They are a capable platform, but I wouldn’t consider them an entry-level twin, nor an economical plane to operate.

I’m aware of a former 414 operator who moved on to an MU-2, at a very similar or cheaper cost per hour as a 414.

I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the need or want to own a twin but crazier $h!t has happened. That being said, KSLG (Smith Field in Siloam Springs, AR) where I get my instruction at has a very good c414 a&p ia and my instructor flies several commercially. That a&p are actually looking at buying one and having it for rental/instruction so for the very few times I would “need” a twin I will most likely have access to one.

36 minutes ago, Creekrat said:

I’m not sure if I’ll ever have the need or want to own a twin but crazier $h!t has happened. That being said, KSLG (Smith Field in Siloam Springs, AR) where I get my instruction at has a very good c414 a&p ia and my instructor flies several commercially. That a&p are actually looking at buying one and having it for rental/instruction so for the very few times I would “need” a twin I will most likely have access to one.

A Cessna 414 is going to require initial and yearly formal school. After your multi-instrument rating (you won't be able to fly a 414 without an instrument rating - no one will insure you), plan on a five day formal school, something like Flight Safety, then two days a year at Flight Safety for a few years falling to one day a year after a few hundred hours in make and model. Plan on somewhere between 25 and 100 hours of dual after the rating depending on your aviation background.

Personally, I will not fly a twin unless I'm going to be flying one at least 100 hours per year. Twins, especially turbocharged pressurized ones (yes, I have owned and operated one) require currency and frequent reinforcement. Better pilots than me may feel safe if they fly a twin 50 or 75 hours per year. If you're up for it, they are amazingly versatile and capable aircraft, though.

They absolutely should not be used "for the very few times I would “need” a twin" - that ends poorly.

Edited by KLRDMD
  • Like 2

Any consideration of a used turbine single (TBM, Pilatus, Meridian)? They’re used extensively across the Americas without many issues. A Pilatus PC-9 would be the “coolest” of the production singles...