Private Pilot Training Manuals

My wife is ready to start learning to be a pilot!  It’s been decades since I went through the initial training and so I am wondering what recommendations are out there for well written study guides, etc.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Alex

• Like 1

Waaaaay back, Bill Kershner was a leader in authoring aviation training manuals. He was able to write and illustrate concepts that made it enjoyable. I believe ASA has bought out the rights for them and publish them now. I'd look at those. The Student Pilot's Flight Manual is the title of the primary one.

Brian

• Like 2

+1 on the FAA free books...

The basics of Flying are a pretty dry subject.  The FAA is an excellent resource for dry subjects.  :)

MSFS with Rod Machado lightens the load... low cost Microsoft flight sim, and Mr. Machado’s sense of humor goes a long way.

Best regards,

-a-

Free FAA books are very dull and dry . . . King stuff is very pricey. Rod Machado is very funny. 

I used the Gleim "You Can Be A Pilot" box, with everything needed except your local sectional. Even had logbook, plotter and E6B. 

Bought the Gleim Instrument box, too.

Sportys has downloads that may help.

Have fun and help her with questions she may have, but resist trying to teach her. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Sporty's course , and it was easy to grasp all of the concepts. The price was not to bad . My favorite part was it was all online courses on my iPad,  and you can go back and use it over and over again once you buy it . 

I did that alot, because I had all of it done before my 3rd day in the airplane. Then I would go back and go through each part as we were doing it . I never tried any other brands to be fair  so my perspective is limited. 

For actual test prep, the Sheppard Air downloads are good.  They are not much more expensive than other companies books, and they also guarantee you to get at least a 90% on your test.

My kids used the ASA videos, (about 15 years ago), in lieu of Ground School, and they were successful.