Just bought a junk m20c Ranger

super6

Back when I owned a C, I had a long conversation with LASAR about their STC. They tried and succeeded in talking me out of it. They said the cost of the STC along with the cost of the engine... is just the beginning. And a lot of the other required parts aren't even available. 

You can obviously talk to LASAR yourself, but I'd be looking for a good serviceable O360.

• Like 2

Also if you can find a low cost but serviceable core that needs overhaul, Jewell Aviation in Kennett, MO is a bit out of the way, but they are reputed to do reliable quality work at a price that can't be beat.  Calling some high volume overhaul shops like that might also be of great help in finding an engine.

Edited by DXB

I wish you good luck with your project. All it will take is a pile of money, a willingness to spend it and some patience along the way. The neat thing is that when you are done (if such a thing is ever possible with owning an older airplane), you will have a Mooney exactly the way you want it to be. That will be something that you will greatly enjoy.

One of the advantages that you have in doing this is the ability to make many components of your Mooney new or like new again. I would suggest that you do not cut corners in this regard. It may cost you more to start with but it will pay you back in reliability for years to come. Some examples would be a new oil cooler, new oil hoses and new fuel lines. These are single point failure items that can ruin your airplane and your day if they let you down at the wrong time. New ones can still fail but are less likely to do so.

My Dad had a 1964 C model with a fresh factory remanufactured engine, fresh prop and fresh paint job back in 1970 to 1971. That thing trued out as high as 172 mph in cruise. That was a stock C model with no speed mods. Yours probably won’t be that fast due to some non flush rivets on the wing, fixed cowl flaps and a fixed boarding step. I would be less likely to spend money on speed mods and more likely to spend those funds on making it like new again.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Edited by BKlott
  • Like 3

Not sure if I am the most recent guy on Mooneyspace to rescue an old M20 or not, but from a guy who just went through the process of tackling airframe, engine, panels, electrical, interior, etc, etc - sometimes I dream of coming across a good airframe and starting from scratch for my forever plane.  I think you will have a lot of fun/tears with this project and I will be cheering you on for sure.  There are a ton of good used parts out there and for the things you want new there are some nice options.  For example - I bought new carpet because mine was trashed, but some of the plastic on the interior is ok so I am going to repair/repaint it with the spatial interiors and plane plastics parts.  I am going to restore my instrument panel and add a used garmin 430, used PS audio panel with new intercoms, and used transponder, and a new ADSB and eventually a new G5.  I am going to strip and paint it soon, etc.

Is there a thread on this website that highlights all of the major vendors for restoring?  Engine overhaulers, Electrical wiring products, Instrument panel fabricators, Interior DIY kits, Seats, Carpet, etc?

Sdf,

using the search function will usually find the various vendors that you are searching for...

MS has a few vendors that pay for limited advertising... but we as members are mostly not interested in the excess advertising when not looking...

The search gets easier to use on a larger tablet, compared to a small phone...

Updating your avatar data is always helpful to get help from others...  If you are rebuilding an old M20C... why not put that in two places... there is a signature line as well...

If using a small phone all the time... it is hard to see what else you are missing all the time... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, super6 said:

Well that really narrows it down some...

Actually, it does, but you have to do some of your own research.  

The TCDS (Type Certificate Data Sheet) is readily available for download for free.  It will show the engines (as well as other components) that are approved for installation.

6 minutes ago, super6 said:

Akk  - Dead ends.

C'mon, it's really not that hard.  I found this in less than 30 seconds by googling "Mooney TCDS".  And I'm in my 50's so I don't learn new tricks that well.  

Scroll down to M20C and you'll see which engines are approved.

http://67m20e.com/Mooney TCDS 2A3 Rev 52 dtd 9DEC10.pdf

• Haha 1

Seriously?  I walked you 99% of the way to the exact answer you were looking for!  

Airplane ownership and rebuilding an airplane is a learning process.  Understanding the documents, regs, and Manuals is part of that education.  We've been trying to help you understand that since you began this thread.  

• Thanks 1

Super6 is just finding out what the first page of responses was trying to tell him...

The remaining pages are going to detail how much a 6amu acquisition cost is going to turn into to have a fully flyable plane.

For Super6

When Somebody offers help... it might be a good idea to say thank you...

If it doesn’t make sense to you... ask for help...

If you get disappointed with the system... are you going to blame somebody other than yourself?

Not ending up with the wrong engine for your new 2U steed is up to you...

Matching the plane and engine and paper-work is the basis of the certified airplane world...

To put together varying bits and pieces that will work, no paperwork required... is called the experimental airplane world...

Oddly enough... there isn’t an economical way to combine a certified plane with experimental rules, yet...

Some wealthy people can do this when they like to... or build something themselves and get it certified... or modify something and paper it over with STCs. But, that costs more than buying a new Mooney... or have somebody build your experimental plane...

Take a deep breath... put a plan together...

Look for the lowest cost M20C in flying, airworthiness condition.  (Annual inspection completed in the last 12 months)

Compare That cost to what you have in front of you...

Remember, quite often people discuss buying planes before they buy them...

Pre-purchase Inspections are all the rage... in those discussions...

Prior to the PPI is usually a bunch of log reading...

Somebody might have said, you don’t know what you don’t know...

Do you see where I’m going with this?

Trying to be a friend.

Its quite possible I didn’t understand what you were saying.

I’m only a private pilot, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 4:55 PM, Andy95W said:

Seriously?  I walked you 99% of the way to the exact answer you were looking for!  

Airplane ownership and rebuilding an airplane is a learning process.  Understanding the documents, regs, and Manuals is part of that education.  We've been trying to help you understand that since you began this thread.  

Seriously @super6 this is good quality help. Getting knee deep into these documents will serve you well.

my typing skills are horrible.I have the dreaded (what looks good to me is not what others perceive I am trying to say syndrome) I am above all thank full for all the help

I think.NOSKY2HIGH Saw where I was going with the Question. That said, I think I will take this project to read only.     

What is a TCDS good for.

Say you are ordering tires.   Yep in there

Say you need a new starter.   Yep in there, kind of.   Still have to count the teeth on the ring.

Which battery do I order?   Yep in there

Brake pad and calipers? yep

• 2 years later...
On 7/1/2020 at 7:31 AM, nosky2high said:

Super 6 gave up, there’s another buyer who has acquired N69ZZ.

I encouraged the new owner to join Mooneyspace.

hopefully he will listen and learn better than super 6 did.

im guesing super 6 said F***kit and bought a boat for his retirement project

• Haha 1