Just bought a junk m20c Ranger

super6

There’re a couple of exhibition cathegory bonanzas that come up for sale every once in a while over at beechtalk.  

The aerostar with the PT-6 up front ... that went into an experimental category.  Not EAB. Probably EE. Patey and Draco... that’s a Wilga and he either got 51% out of the rebuild or it’s EE  

If you stated with a steel roll cage or a fuselage do you think you could get to 51% in a Mooney.  How do you keep track? 

If I were to ever get ambtitious it would be a hoot to build a pressurized composite Mooney clone with a titanium roll cage. :-)

I’ve hesitated posting to this thread but can’t resist any longer.  Most everyone on this forum complains about the Mooney’s going off the “active airworthy” list.  This OP (original poster) is saving one from the boneyard, admittedly on his own account maybe not financially wise but for reasons not relating to financial reasons, and some of you are throwing darts at him??  So here I am, an ex Mooney owner, wondering WTH you guys thinking?   SUPPORT HIM!  He KNOWS it may not be the best decision “financially”, but doesn’t care. He has other reasons that make it right for HIM!!!

And @super6 , there’s not enough room on this blog to list the guys that doubted my “project” would ever fly.  It not only flies, it got some serious attention at Air Adventure 2018 and, it transports my wife in I across the country with an incredible amount more satisfaction than something I bought with no investment of time and labor.  Go for it and DON’T let ANYONE take away your enthusiasm!!

Tom

12046124-4A96-4AD7-A0CD-2FA3D0AC65C9.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I’ve hesitated posting to this thread but can’t resist any longer.  Most everyone on this forum complains about the Mooney’s going off the “active airworthy” list.  This OP (original poster) is saving one from the boneyard, admittedly on his own account maybe not financially wise but for reasons not relating to financial reasons, and some of you are throwing darts at him??  So here I am, an ex Mooney owner, wondering WTH you guys thinking?   SUPPORT HIM!  He KNOWS it may not be the best decision “financially”, but doesn’t care. He has other reasons that make it right for HIM!!!

And @super6 , there’s not enough room on this blog to list the guys that doubted my “project” would ever fly.  It not only flies, it got some serious attention at Air Adventure 2018 and, it transports my wife in I across the country with an incredible amount more satisfaction than something I bought with no investment of time and labor.  Go for it and DON’T let ANYONE take away your enthusiasm!!

Tom

Do you detail this anywhere to read?

Tom raises a good point, and I am always glad to see an older airframe saved from destruction.  I would urge the OP to at least have a plan to deal with the certification issues beyond "I have a metal brake.  How hard can it be?"

12 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

One of the best posts I've ever read 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Raptor05121 said:

:ph34r:

Yes, Alex is living proof that what super6 is attempting is not only possible, but feasible as well.  And Alex was working a full time job while he did it, not retired.

@Raptor05121- any progress on your instrument and commercial licenses?  With your knowledge level and age, I still think you should consider aviation as a career.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Whwe did Baby we had queues of people wanting to come and sit in her that first weekend.  It was SO worth it.

Andrew

The journey is the best part of a lot of destinations

• Like 2

Super6,

Have you met Shery and Paul Loewen?

They have been the oxygen of many Mooney projects worldwide...  new parts can be found at Lasar.com, pre-owned parts can be found at Loewens Mooney Salvage...

While Looking for an engine... consider the IO360... The 200hp variant of the short body Mooney... Paul and Shery can help you with the proper paperwork (STC) to use this premo engine... check with Paul to see what he has for engines and props...

Have you met MS’ prop guy, Cody?  If you are buying a used prop... like the one listed above...  Cody can be incredibly helpful at identifying  the right one for project... and what services are best for your machine and budget...

Are you interested in keeping the plane in its classic condition, or are you interested in building the most modern M20C possible?

Pp thoughts,

-a-

On 3/30/2019 at 12:52 PM, HRM said:

Well, this opens up other questions, like, why was it decommissioned? Looks pretty good (highlight mine):

1968 M20C N69ZZ

Rare corrosion free M20C loaded with speed mods. Hangared at MOB. Logs read like well loved business Jet (AD-logs for 17 years) TTAF 4100, 0 SMOH/SPOH, fresh annual, good paint-white w/red and dove gray, good glass/tires, no hail, late 231 style custom high back cloth seats. KMA24 audio panel, dual Collins Nav 251/Com 351, Apollo Flybuddy Loran, King digital Digitak KT 76C TSO transponder, digital narco 890 DME, PC wingleveler autopilot, wired for yoke-mounted GPS, 201 windshield, cowl enclosure mode, 231 wing tips w/strobe enclosure, belly beacon, 231 wing and tail root fairings, 231 tail enclosure, flap and aileron gap seals, elevator hinge seals, new style shock disks, brake rotation conversion, 201 blade antennas, alt conversion, high capacity fuel bladder mod.

did the plane use to belong to @nosky2high ?

https://mooneyspace.com/profile/8091-nosky2high/content/?type=gallery_image

Edited by peevee

On 4/2/2019 at 9:31 AM, bill98 said:

I have a Hartzell from my M20E that got attacked by the ground...

LOL. My brother had a tree jump out in front of him once. Scary what mom nature is capable of!

1 hour ago, super6 said:

https://mooneyspace.com/profile/8091-nosky2high/content/?type=gallery_imageRLCarter that is indeed the plane I bought, I did not get the pretty stuff.  

You're in a good location. Pretty close to AGL aviation and not too far from Cole aviation by plane. Lots of good info available here. Good luck!

Seems like you're in decent shape to put together what can be a pretty good airplane. Judging from the pictures that aren't that old, if the gear up is the real only problem it shouldn't be that bad at all, especially if you're planning on new motor, prop, and radios. 

Edited by chriscalandro

• 2 weeks later...