Just bought a junk m20c Ranger

super6

What would make you want to do that?

:)

Are you looking to undo what you have done?

We know a guy...

Welcome aboard.

You now have two projects...

1) Learn to fly...

2) Rebuild plane...

You have plenty of time... and resources...

Best regards,

-a-

Lol. The mooney was built in 1968, The bank account is healthy,and this is a retirement hobby.I have ambitions. And I hope the thread is fun!

Edited by super6
left a responce off
  • Like 4

Just some back ground on this air frame, Landed gear up belly skins and doors damaged prop and engine went south. I will need to buy an A1A  And prop The total expenditure so far is $6000 This is why I will need help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, super6 said:

Just some back ground on this air frame, Landed gear up belly skins and doors damaged prop and engine went south. I will need to buy an A1A  And prop The total expenditure so far is $6000 This is why I will need help.

What did you pay for the air frame? Did it include instruments?

Airframe carefully inspected for corrosion by a Mooney expert (particularly spar and steel frame) so far?   If not might be a good point to do this before going any further toward restoring vs. scrapping....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, super6 said:

no inspections so far, I do not have  possession yet.I will  have an inspection done.

Sorry for all the questions, but will you need to move it somewhere, or work on it where it is now?

2 minutes ago, super6 said:

In case anyone is interested,The tail # is N69zz

Well, this opens up other questions, like, why was it decommissioned? Looks pretty good (highlight mine):

1968 M20C N69ZZ

Rare corrosion free M20C loaded with speed mods. Hangared at MOB. Logs read like well loved business Jet (AD-logs for 17 years) TTAF 4100, 0 SMOH/SPOH, fresh annual, good paint-white w/red and dove gray, good glass/tires, no hail, late 231 style custom high back cloth seats. KMA24 audio panel, dual Collins Nav 251/Com 351, Apollo Flybuddy Loran, King digital Digitak KT 76C TSO transponder, digital narco 890 DME, PC wingleveler autopilot, wired for yoke-mounted GPS, 201 windshield, cowl enclosure mode, 231 wing tips w/strobe enclosure, belly beacon, 231 wing and tail root fairings, 231 tail enclosure, flap and aileron gap seals, elevator hinge seals, new style shock disks, brake rotation conversion, 201 blade antennas, alt conversion, high capacity fuel bladder mod.

13 minutes ago, super6 said:

HRM it seems simple minded on my part, But I did the home work on this plane  

Not really. This way you know every little detail of your Mooney. That is something other owners only get after years of owner (A&P) or owner-assisted annuals.

call if your close by

I would have someone who knows what corrosion to look for on a Mooney assess the plane. The listed owner shows the plane was last flown last July and has been based in Florida. If you have corrosion on the steel cage and/or wing spar, it’s repairable but will be a lot of work and cost. There are two Mooney owners on this site who have done wing replacements/major repairs. They can comment on the amount of work and cost. Same goes for the steel cage.

If the plane gets past that step, I would continue to build out a list of what you need to rebuild it. Sounds like you started already. I didn’t catch if you are an AP or IA, if not, since this is a certified airframe, you will need someone to sign off on any work you do. As owners, we are limited on what we can do. Someone willing to work with you that has the required credentials?

I would make friends with Alan Fox and Jerry Pressley. If you need components, they have or can get access to what you may need. There is no Costco or Walmart for unique parts on vintage Mooneys.

Once you have an idea what it will cost on paper, I would decide if the project is financially viable. If you are going to stick $60k in rebuilding of this aircraft, it might be better to find a plane in that price range.

And oh yeah, get your medical started. Maybe you won’t pass even Basic Med. Then what you going to do? Try to beat that guy who posted pictures here of himself flying his two kids around on a student pilots certificate?

I’d admire your passion. Hope you can pull it off. Unfortunately we have also seen owners get kneecapped by unexpected expenses. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro