Is your plane airworthy?

Yetti

For the owners in the group.  Since you are responsible for making sure all ADs are complied with.   For all of those that know what a fuel servo is are you sure that none of these parts are in your fuel servo?  Do you know what model fuel servo is on your plane?

http://www.precisionairmotive.com/servpubs.htm

I 100% know which fuel servo is on my plane. None at all, it's in the back of my mechanics pickup truck along with the rest of my engine.

But I also see that AD in every annual entry on my plane along with the 'G' notation. Technically it's AD 2009-02-03 now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My plane has no fuel servos, but hasn't been airworthy since 31 Jan. The annual is really, really dragging. Quote was 18 hours, plus another 5-6 hours for little stuff.

So I feel your pain . . . .

Hank, what’s up with your Annual?  Lee

9 hours ago, nosky2high said:

I’m confused, does the mechanic work for you or is it the other way around? 

“Maybe next week”, I hope his craftsmanship is worth this BS.

Get ready as this is only the beginning of the mechanic shortage. Maybe it’s BS and maybe the mechanic is swamped with work and putting out fires. 

1 hour ago, Sabremech said:

Get ready as this is only the beginning of the mechanic shortage. Maybe it’s BS and maybe the mechanic is swamped with work and putting out fires. 

I’m willing to bet it’s the latter.

not saying this is the case with the OP... but... it’s funny how when we break on the road, we shower the A&P with praise for his help in a pinch... but when we’re in the shop and it takes longer than expected (maybe because the mechanic is fixing someone’s bird who broke, on the road), we get upset. ;)

Edited by M016576

We are already seeing it. My township owned field opened its own maintenance shop recently. They are unable to find an A&P to work with the 76 year old IA they coached out of retirement. The recent local graduating class of A&Ps are all going to airline jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Wish I knew. I'm not allowed to help, and he keeps saying "maybe next week." Most recently, the day before yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

We are already seeing it. My township owned field opened its own maintenance shop recently. They are unable to find an A&P to work with the 76 year old IA they coached out of retirement. The recent local graduating class of A&Ps are all going to airline jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This sounds super painful- I have yet to feel this particular agony but I suspect it’s coming.  

• Sad 1

Well, new servo went in back in October/November. 

I am however, having the same “three toed mechanic” type stories i am on here. I sometimes wonder how these guys actually make a living, only working 2-3 billable hours a day it seems

51 minutes ago, nosky2high said:

We are in a maintenance black hole as well which is why we equipped our hangar with wing jacks, tail weight/stand, overhead hoist, air compressor, work tables, and have Mooney gear rigging tools. We have a couple of IAs we trust and give them primary and alternate time windows to work on our plane. Prior to any work we do detailed planning, acquire the required parts and necessary hardware, calling Dan at LASAR also helps covering any of the “while you are there, you might as well replace...stuff”.  The IAs drive over with their tools and efficiently take care of our needs.

Paying cash likely helps :-)

That's what I've done the last 4 years, except the IA brought the jacks and I preordered everything. We'd start Friday morning and generally be done Sunday morning. Then he retired . . . I knew he was going to, but he'd told me that he would keep working on my plane and a few others to keep his certificates alive. Come annual time, he didn't answer telephone or respond to voicemail or email. He must have heard from SWMBO.  ;)

Anyway, it's the new guy that has me wound in knots, not the old one.

Edited by Hank

8 hours ago, M016576 said:

I’m willing to bet it’s the latter.

not saying this is the case with the OP... but...

The OP decided that the fuel servo should be done on time.  So it was a month in the OH shop for the fuel servo.  So looks like we are good for another 12 years on that part of the plane.  The OP has built up a good trust relationship with the grumpy IA.  So the IA trusts the OP to oversee his work.   The OP schedule to completion is based on his being able to take off work and make it happen    @Hank  is in annual hell and at the mercy of the selected shop.....

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

The OP decided that the fuel servo should be done on time.  So it was a month in the OH shop for the fuel servo.  So looks like we are good for another 12 years on that part of the plane.  The OP has built up a good trust relationship with the grumpy IA.  So the IA trusts the OP to oversee his work.   The OP schedule to completion is based on his being able to take off work and make it happen    @Hank  is in annual hell and at the mercy of the selected shop.....

Hah!  You caught me!  I forgot what actually had started this thread! 

Yeah- is meant @Hank, not the OP... when I was saying OP.  And like I said... not saying that is the case here- just that the thought struck me as I was reading the thread.  

Heck, I know I’ve been on both sides of the table on this one- pleading for help on the road, and saved by a merciful A&P... and also wondering to myself during annual time: “why the heck isn’t my plane done!” That latter thought also coming with the sound of a register ringing.  $$$$.

again- not saying this is the case here, just pointing out the (agnostic) thought I had.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, Yetti said:

For the owners in the group.  Since you are responsible for making sure all ADs are complied with.   For all of those that know what a fuel servo is are you sure that none of these parts are in your fuel servo?  Do you know what model fuel servo is on your plane?

http://www.precisionairmotive.com/servpubs.htm

Is the takeaway here that your plane was subject to this AD and wasn't airworthy?

4 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

Is the takeaway here that your plane was subject to this AD and wasn't airworthy?

I think the takeaway is if you buy a plane just because it has years of certified mechanics looking at it saying it is airworthy does not mean it by definition it is airworthy.    Finding the alternator bracket upside down was kind of the icing on the cake for this annual.

25 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I think the takeaway is if you buy a plane just because it has years of certified mechanics looking at it saying it is airworthy does not mean it by definition it is airworthy.    Finding the alternator bracket upside down was kind of the icing on the cake for this annual.

I think everyone here would agree with that.  Isn't this your fourth annual on this plane?  One of the things I get with my annual is an exhaustive list of possible ADs and whether they are applicable to my specific plane.  Is that something that folks generally try to do themselves when they do their annuals in their own hangar with the IA just dropping by for the inspection part?

I think that is the issue, Checking for ADs for this Annual assumes that all the prior people did their job properly.  Let's say you have an entry that the "Oil Pump gear replaced"   Since there were three replacements of oil gears, it's really hard to know which ones are in your engine.   But your AD log would look complete and accurate. 

Is this Airworthy because it was not leaking?

20150326_195627.thumb.jpg.46ecfba285d4decab168c003987574a1.jpg

The threads buggured from a pair of channel locks and the teflon tape, It was only airworthy till it was found.

• Like 1