Looking for a Flight

misamajoco

Looking for a M20C/F/K owner in the Tidewater area (Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk) of Virginia that would be willing to take me for a flight and maybe a $100 hamburger.  I have not had the opportunity to see a Mooney up close, let alone sit in one.  I have been lurking here for a while and quite honestly cannot decide on what flavor fits my needs...I guess I really need to define my needs to narrow it down, but would like to consider all options.  Budget is TBD, but initially looking at keeping it under $100K which probably puts the K out of my price range.

I am a low time pilot (85 hours) who has pretty much been on a sabbatical for the last two years due to my job.  I have recently gotten back in  to the seat, having completed my Flight Review and started flying again, now I want to build hours with IFR being the next step.  Needs (or wants I guess) would include room for three (me, the wife and teen age son) with a couple of flights a year to Florida (Tampa) and Asheville, NC to visit family.  would also like to ability to take long weekend trips to wherever we wanted to visit and get there fast...or at least faster than a C172.  I would like a high useful load with a low fuel burn rate (don't we all).  All of my flying has been in a C172 as that is pretty much all there is available where I rent...currently no low wing or complex aircraft available, but I have it on good authority there may be one coming soon.

Anyhow, if you have an aircraft that meets the above desires and are based locally or will be passing through and are willing to spend some time showing me your plane, I would like to get together.

Mike

Mike,

Without being too nosy, how much of the useful load will be taken up by the three of you? Even a 1,000 UL will drop to near zero if you have three of me in a plane, but we have some other folks on MS who could fit about a half dozen of themselves into one and still have luggage capacity.

An F or J (both mid-bodies) sound like they will fit as likely would an C/E, depending on teenager size. Also, range is determined by the smallest bladder. My wife and I can make a 4 hour flight without a problem, but the last :30 for her is getting uncomfortable (and I am not really happy either).

Good luck on your search!

Tidewater is a GREAT place to own a plane. So many fun destinations within 2.5 Mooney hours. I used to be based in central NJ and it also had tons of great destinations nearby.  

Sorry, I’m in SC so I can’t help but welcome!  There are a ton of passionate, knowledgeable, and yes, even Mooney biased people here!  

Old guy, you are not being too nosy, between the three of us, we amount to about 560 lbs.  I am the guy who what if’s everything and trying to get the most bang for the buck.  In all actuality, the bladders will most likely not last as long as the fuel tanks.  We haven’t really tested it as I am currently renting and most of out flights have been fairly short with the longest being about 45 minutes one way, so looking for a machine that will increase the distance travelled in the same amount of time.

Next question...

Are you flying N-S or E-W?

Flying the East Coast... There isn’t a lot of Mountains to climb over... or really high DA airports...

Staying with a normally aspirated engine can save a few AMUs while simplifying the selection process...

Staying with the 45 minute limit is going to be a challenge... Go with the fastest Mooney you can find...  :)

Cover the most ground possible that way...

Price limits... a really Nice J May fit what you are expecting to do... but their prices lately are creeping over the 100amu line...

Enjoy the hunt!

-a-

@carusoam - just about all East Coast flying with maybe one or two trips to the West Coast.  The 45 minutes is not a limit, it is currently the longest one way flight we have done.  No bladder issues on that short of a flighA nice J was the original thought, but as you say, the prices are ticking upward.

• Like 1