OAT probe with bladders...

Question for the bladder-wise ones out there - Mooney fuel bladders, that is.  My '65C has them and the long way to this answer is to just begin pulling the covers.  I need an inspection cover under the wing for an OAT probe installation.  Anybody know which ones under the wing don't have a bladder on top of them?  I pulled two today and guessed wrong each time.  Rather than continue this trend I figured I'd ask for help.  So, if you have bladders, where is your OAT probe?  It's for the new AV-20-S.

Thanks,

Patrick

Question for the bladder-wise ones out there - Mooney fuel bladders, that is.  My '65C has them and the long way to this answer is to just begin pulling the covers.  I need an inspection cover under the wing for an OAT probe installation.  Anybody know which ones under the wing don't have a bladder on top of them?  I pulled two today and guessed wrong each time.  Rather than continue this trend I figured I'd ask for help.  So, if you have bladders, where is your OAT probe?  It's for the new AV-20-S.
Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick - my OAT is on the access panel near the left wing root. If I can find a picture, I will send it along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

18 minutes ago, Johnnybgoode said:

I pulled two today and guessed wrong each time.  

Patrick

I guess you're really happy you have bladders when you remove access panels under fuel tanks... :P

There will not be bladders above the front most line of access panels.

• Haha 1

Factory location in 94 was outside the fuel tanks...

This keeps it far from the exhaust stream... and heat of the engine...

Nice to have it under the wing, shaded...

Being close to the fuel can have other accuracy challenges...

Being further out on the wing... doesn’t seem to have any bad issues other than running out of wire.... there isn’t current flowing, so there isn’t additional resistance to add to the challenge...

PP thoughts only...

best regards,

-a-

Thanks guys.  And Yes, Bob, I would not have been pulling panels had the bladders not been in there.  Interestingly I found a thread on here referring to red in-tank sealant that was used in the past that was then deemed un-airworthy.  Several of the screws I pulled had red sealant on them...  Maybe that's why I have bladders.  They were installed before my tenure as owner.

As a side note, one of the small panels I pulled was on the front row and there seemed to be a liner above that one.  I'll have to check again.

Edited by Johnnybgoode

Look at the maintenance manual it will show you where the tanks are.  The location of the tanks does not change with the bladders.

Second with full tanks just tap the covers on the bottom of the wing you will hear a solid thud where the fuel is and more hollow sound where the fuel tanks are not.

Thanks guys.  And Yes, Bob, I would not have been pulling panels had the bladders not been in there.  Interestingly I found a thread on here referring to red in-tank sealant that was used in the past that was then deemed un-airworthy.  Several of the screws I pulled had red sealant on them...  Maybe that's why I have bladders.  They were installed before my tenure as owner.
As a side note, one of the small panels I pulled was on the front row and there seemed to be a liner above that one.  I'll have to check again.

Not sure what year your Mooney is (Tapatalk hides the avatar information). From talking with someone at Mooney right after I bought my Mooney in 1991, I was told the red sealant was introduced as a protective covering over the original sealant used in earlier Mooneys. When I did the pre-buy on my Mooney, in addition to an active leak, I had a tank full of red worms. It was this red sealant that was breaking down and coming off in streamers.

I have no idea if this was a factory installed sealant or one that was being used in the field to stop leaks. Either way, I ended up having the tanks converted to bladders.

I think that one is for all the fancy gear in the panel.. I think mine is over on the Starboard side.

My plane originally only had the side window mounted OAT gauge. The OAT shown in my picture the JPI 900’s probe. I have additional ones in the RSMs for the Aspens. What is interesting is that I always observe the Aspen will show a few degrees warmer than the JPI. I remember reading on our site the discussion about leading edges being warmer at higher speeds but I guess we just ain’t that fast

3f5b146ceed11ec744032315f4e29c1a.jpg

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

My plane originally only had the side window mounted OAT gauge. The OAT shown in my picture the JPI 900’s probe. I have additional ones in the RSMs for the Aspens. What is interesting is that I always observe the Aspen will show a few degrees warmer than the JPI. I remember reading on our site the discussion about leading edges being warmer at higher speeds but I guess we just ain’t that fast emoji3063.png

Either or both the JPI and the Aspen allows you to program an offset for OAT. Then they'll match. Of course that doesn't make it more accurate - just less annoying for the anal-retentive... just saying...

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, carusoam said:

Being further out on the wing... doesn’t seem to have any bad issues other than running out of wire.... there isn’t current flowing, so there isn’t additional resistance to add to the challenge...

Just remember if you're using a thermocouple OAT probe like the JPI (and if the 37 mentions in the install manual don't remind you) it will need to be extended with the same type thermocouple wire.

Edited by Steve W
  • Like 1