Would you look further?

NJMac

2 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Actually, it’s the opposite:

At the present time HP is only available on single engine 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The EDM800 calculates percent of horsepower in an Over lean condition. Lycoming & Contentinal horse power charts stop at peak EGT on the first cylinder to peak. When you are over lean, every ounce of fuel is burned & used to create horsepower and heat. Cooling is accomplished by excess air in the combustion chamber. JPI has developed an algorithm to calculate horsepower based on fuel consumption and other factors. To obtain HP in this over lean condition you must have an EDM-800 engine analyzer with fuel flow, RPM, MAP, OAT.

Hmm, so there's some kind of voodoo-magic jiggery-pokery that happens...

• 4 weeks later...

Electric fuel pump went down and kept me grounded almost 2 weeks. Went back up Wednesday last week for 2:08. JPI said I used 18.0 gal. They topped me off so I can fly again tomorrow and said it actually used 16.8 gals. Other than being happy with ~8 gal per hr, what else does this tell us? ad21139178d06efc1f7de89b41f6d61a.jpgcdeb38964d807430ebc46a1e80f53fc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can adjust the FF by changing the settings, you’ll have to do some math, see JPI manual. I would do a couple of more flights to see if it’s consistent, you need a minimum of 2 hours between fill ups, doesn’t need to be 1 flight, the longer period probably the better for accuracy.

Tom

• Like 1

You can adjust the FF by changing the settings, you’ll have to do some math, see JPI manual. I would do a couple of more flights to see if it’s consistent, you need a minimum of 2 hours between fill ups, doesn’t need to be 1 flight, the longer period probably the better for accuracy.

Tom
I'll be going up again tomorrow for another instrument lesson. Trying to get ready for the checkride. Should be another 2-2.5 hrs. Will report back.

There should be a K factor written on the transducer, check that is the value in the setup of your unit.

If it's correct, before you entertain changing it, I suggest you not make any changes till you:

1) verify by filling it yourself you are using the same exact point for filling the tanks on level ground.

2) go through more like a 100 gals and then do the calculations for adjusting K factor based on reported Used versus your fuel receipts. 20 gals is too small a sample size.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kortopates said:

There should be a K factor written on the transducer, check that is the value in the setup of your unit.

If it's correct, before you entertain changing it, I suggest you not make any changes till you:

1) verify by filling it yourself you are using the same exact point for filling the tanks on level ground.

2) go through more like a 100 gals and then do the calculations for adjusting K factor based on reported Used versus your fuel receipts. 20 gals is too small a sample size.

Whenever I buy fuel, I enter the number of gallons purchased in my pilot's log (I use ZuluLog)

I download info from my JPI regularly and upload them to SavvyAnalysis.

That way, I have easy access to the fuel reported used (USD) as well as the actual fuel used available online easily

• Like 1

Electric fuel pump went down and kept me grounded almost 2 weeks. Went back up Wednesday last week for 2:08. JPI said I used 18.0 gal. They topped me off so I can fly again tomorrow and said it actually used 16.8 gals. Other than being happy with ~8 gal per hr, what else does this tell us? ad21139178d06efc1f7de89b41f6d61a.jpgcdeb38964d807430ebc46a1e80f53fc7.jpg

Tells me you need to keep dialing in that k factor .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1