Cracked spinner or bulkhead?

amillet

MSC doing annual reported “cracked spinner”. Is this the spinner or bulkhead?  Hartzell has none in stock with AOG 10 day out shipping.  I’ll have to cancel Santa Maria PPP next week.:angry:

Not properly shimmed  Only 300 TSNEW

C545F12A-EAFE-4A6D-8D86-65C176D2A14F.jpeg

• Sad 1

The spinner is the shiny exterior dome...

The bulkhead is usually the mounting hardware underneath... usually at the base.

Some J’s get the extra support in the middle... evidenced by the screws in the middle of the dome....

Regardless, you need the part in less than 10 days...

we have a couple of sources of lots of parts that might have an answer...

@acpartswhse and @SheryLoewen have access to things like these... (this works like an invite for them to stop by this thread...)

Shery handles Paul’s MS web work... Loewen’s aircraft salvage also has a website...

Best regards,

-a-

ASE in Georgia can fix you up.

They are a Part:145 Repairstation specializing in that type of repair.

Will also Certify the Repair’s made.

I have sent several items to them for repair an normally get 2-3 day turns.

Overnight Shipping will shorten the time also.

• Like 2

Do you have their contact info? I can’t find them on google. My bulk head cracked last year and had to find a used one but might send my old one off to be fixed for a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/27/2019 at 12:06 AM, Cody Stallings said:

I purchased a yellowtagged bulkhead from an MSC for $500 that they'd done. It cracked at the weld on the flight home. Nobody returned my calls and the part was clearly warped when they repaired it. 

6 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

I purchased a yellowtagged bulkhead from an MSC for $500 that they'd done. It cracked at the weld on the flight home. Nobody returned my calls and the part was clearly warped when they repaired it. 

Thanks for the report. Maybe I won't spend the money to repair the cracked one.  I already ordered a new one.

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Great news Alan!

Does The new one meet your time need? Or did that get away already?

Best regards,

-a-

I scrubbed my PPP plans as it is this coming weekend. I had ordered it before I posted here.  May be best to get a new one anyway after FloridaMan's experience.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 6:19 PM, takair said:

The tape you see is the “shim”.

This isn’t taped per the Service Manual. Teflon tape is supposed to be wrapped around prop hub. That way you can adjust amount of tape for a good fit. This way might work, but I’d put the next one on by the book. BTW, IPC calls out part as a bulkhead assy, spinner (fwd). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

This isn’t taped per the Service Manual. Teflon tape is supposed to be wrapped around prop hub. That way you can adjust amount of tape for a good fit. This way might work, but I’d put the next one on by the book. BTW, IPC calls out part as a bulkhead assy, spinner (fwd). 

Thanks @PT20J.  The MSC that is doing the annual seems to be on top of this and advised that it had not been properly shimmed.

• Like 1

Skip,

Are you sure Teflon tape is the recommendation?

Teflon tape is not very solid, is very soft, and is capable of flowing under compression...

And is also hard to put sticky stuff on it, possible with a decent surface treatment... Sodium or ozone/corona discharge...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Skip,

Are you sure Teflon tape is the recommendation?

Teflon tape is not very solid, is very soft, and is capable of flowing under compression...

And is also hard to put sticky stuff on it, possible with a decent surface treatment... Sodium or ozone/corona discharge...

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony,

Yep. Although at a MSC I once saw a prop shimmed with blue painter's tape :o

PW_0001.jpg.b4b2c553a2fffebd6ba3438f782bab90.jpg

PW2.jpg.1bfb34266f80144ba8ed3938a28a8ad0.jpg

PW3.thumb.jpg.2bbc0d4ae8b031c69ffb98365712864b.jpg

Skip

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PT20J said:

Yes, I’m glad you posted that.  In fact, the way it is shimmed likely contributed to cracking since it causes the bulkhead to go out of round.  Haven’t done one in years, but I seem to recall that getting it right is not as easy as it looks.  Takes some patience.

I’m still fuzzy about PTFE being used...

It is 3M plastic tape... that matches what is in the Mooney spec...

And it matches the product number skip gave from the 3M spec...

The procedure must cover a method to keep it from squeezing out of place with pressure and vibration...

The picture above where there is clear tape strips used... probably isn’t from the procedure... ?

That would leave some parts supported, and gaps where less support is available...

Really gives us a feeling why our prop guy says dynamically balancing afterward is a good idea...

Great details, Skip!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 9:16 PM, amillet said:

MSC doing annual reported “cracked spinner”. Is this the spinner or bulkhead?  Hartzell has none in stock with AOG 10 day out shipping.  I’ll have to cancel Santa Maria PPP next week.:angry:

Not properly shimmed  Only 300 TSNEW

C545F12A-EAFE-4A6D-8D86-65C176D2A14F.jpeg

It’s really both.  In this case the forward bulkhead is bonded to the spinner dome.  Earlier versions have been riveted or screwed together.  The bonded method ups the cost as an assembly.

Be sure that your aft bulkhead has the doubler plates installed as item 5 in the parts break down above.  Earlier serial numbers didn’t have them so the aft bulkheads would crack.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

I’m still fuzzy about PTFE being used...

It is 3M plastic tape... that matches what is in the Mooney spec...

And it matches the product number skip gave from the 3M spec...

Really gives us a feeling why our prop guy says dynamically balancing afterward is a good idea...

Great details, Skip!

Best regards,

-a-