GFC 500 Install Price

I installed the YD since it didn't add that much to the total install but on the mid-body it is probably less important though still ueful.  It is nice to see coordinated turns when the AP is flying.

Isn’t more beneficial for rear seat passengers, especially if they are prone to motion sickness?

Tom

9 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Isn’t more beneficial for rear seat passengers, especially if they are prone to motion sickness?

Tom

Could be, I haven't had anyone in the back yet.  Maybe I'll ask my wife to fly back there this weekend and see what she says.

Let’s not get too excited... for the back seaters....

They are sitting closer to the Cg and Cl than anyone else... their rock and roll motion will be the smaller magnitude... compared to the pilot and copilot...

If you have a tendency to get sea sick, move closer to the Cg, look forwards out the window, have the vent flowing, and avoid moving your head as much as practical... 

Sure, a yaw damper will still be helpful...

PP thoughts only not a physicist of the flight realm...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Let’s not get too excited... for the back seaters....

They are sitting closer to the Cg and Cl than anyone else... their rock and roll motion will be the smaller magnitude... compared to the pilot and copilot...

If you have a tendency to get sea sick, move closer to the Cg, look forwards out the window, have the vent flowing, and avoid moving your head as much as practical... 

Sure, a yaw damper will still be helpful...

PP thoughts only not a physicist of the flight realm...

Best regards,

-a-

Depends on the plane.  For the J, the front seaters sit as little as 1 inch (seats back and forward CG limit) and as much as 18 inches (seats forward and aft CG limit) forward of the CG.  The back seaters sit between 20 and 30 inches aft of the CG.  Slightly worse for those in the back seat.

• Like 1

Dang, I erroneously used the main spar under the kids knees as a proxy for the Cg and Cl(L).

In Many planes, the passengers sit close to the Cg.  This way there is always a pilot accounted for in the WnB... where the passengers may come and go... (old two seater biplane example... the passenger is up front near the wings...

Either way, the Mooney doesn’t wag very much compared to the wallow of the V-tail...  :)

(throwing alan’s Bird under the bus, for fun... as I attempt a distraction maneuver...)

Best regards,

-a-

Back in '95 when I got my IFR I really didn't think about a 2nd attitude indicator. But after reading way too many NTSB reports and seeing how we really do on partial panel when we absolutely have to is not how we do in practice, I won't fly IFR without a 2nd certified attitude indicator. The cost is trivial compared to the margin of safety it provides.

Agree! It only took one time to make a believer. I have a second electric AI in my plane. The AHRS in ForeFlight is good but it’s not part of my scan and in fact I usually don’t have it turned on. My second AI is part of my instrument scan so I know if there is a problem early. Had a vacuum failure last year and I first spotted the problem from my AIs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry, my question may Sound stupid:

I am following thsi thread for a while now and dreaming of moving in an G3X with all the stuff needed and 2 or 3 servos.

But it seems difficult to even get detailed Information of what really is needed (aka a document for the STC?).

Also I would like to know Details of how the servos are mounted. I think, this has Major influence on the costs.

So far, I did not even try to get a Quote on the parts and the work.

Where can I get all this Information? Or is it super secret?

59 minutes ago, NicoN said:

Sorry, my question may Sound stupid:

I am following thsi thread for a while now and dreaming of moving in an G3X with all the stuff needed and 2 or 3 servos.

But it seems difficult to even get detailed Information of what really is needed (aka a document for the STC?).

Also I would like to know Details of how the servos are mounted. I think, this has Major influence on the costs.

So far, I did not even try to get a Quote on the parts and the work.

Where can I get all this Information? Or is it super secret?

Some of that information is only available to the dealers. As far as cost a WAG is $19-20k for parts (g3x, 3 servo gfc500, gad 29b) plus VAT and other markups.  Install labor might fall in the $8-12k region depending on your local labor rates. Those prices are in USD and I really have no clue how much avionics work would cost in Germany.  

The Price for a absolutely minimal G3X seems to be between 6600 and 7000$ (aircraftspruce.com, 10.6G3X, LRU and  install kit).

I know this is experimental.

So, how is the Price for the STC'd Version? Double?

12 minutes ago, mooneypilot said:

I will pm you  costs. Interior was done by a local company, I’ll have to find the name. Panel and avionics were done by western aviation in Spokane,wa. 1CA2E094-4DEB-45C5-BA1E-D60427FFD993.thumb.jpeg.7aa8de5f5bb3f4b5103c855c05a8e26f.jpeg

3FC2E9E2-52A0-4900-AED4-E9BB36119032.jpeg

B43B71EA-8523-4DF0-A5C6-0B63D5E31893.jpeg

Ha, I’m about to have Western do my 2 x G5s next month.  It looks awesome, were you happy with their work?  They have had a couple managerial changes recently...

Was that Highland upholstery?  I’ve heard good things about them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ha, I’m about to have Western do my 2 x G5s next month.  It looks awesome, were you happy with their work?  They have had a couple managerial changes recently...

Was that Highland upholstery?  I’ve heard good things about them.

Yes I couldn’t Remember the name to save my life! Highland UPHOLSTERY They did an excellent job small company just a husband and wife so they aren’t the fastest. Western.... they were 4 weeks behind schedule and had the parts sitting on the shelf bought and paid for should have taken 6 to 8 weeks. 100% manager related, but with that said they have a new avionics manager Tyson who is excellent did everything he promised, unfortunately he was hired on the last 4 weeks of my project. End of the day they did a perfect install with no major bugs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous install! Exactly what I have in mind for my 98 Encore... I just bought it in August with an all-original panel (except the EDM700 was upgraded to a 730 and it had a GNS 430 (nonwaas). LASAR is installing a GTN650 and GTX345 as I type this (your right stack) so at least I have WAAS approaches and ADSB In/Out plus flightstream 510. Just waiting for a bonus (or 5) to finish the upgrade to your panel!!

• Like 1

I gotta ask, why did you shell out the extra money for the remote audio panel but not bother with the remote transponder when it doesnt cost any extra? You could have fit it all in one stack and had a cleaner install. Still looks great. 

I love the interior. Where did you get the armrest? I want one. I wonder if it could go on my seats. Are yours articulating? 

16 minutes ago, khedrei said:

I gotta ask, why did you shell out the extra money for the remote audio panel but not bother with the remote transponder when it doesnt cost any extra? You could have fit it all in one stack and had a cleaner install. Still looks great. 

I love the interior. Where did you get the armrest? I want one. I wonder if it could go on my seats. Are yours articulating? 

While I can't speak for him, I went with the in panel transponder because there was room, it had some extra functions that I wanted, and if the other displays went out, i would still have the transponder.

19 minutes ago, khedrei said:

What extra functions does the panel mount ponder have that the remote one doesnt. I was under the impression that they were identical save for the possible screen out. 

I know the panel mount audio has a couple extra features.

I did the same as Don. There are some timer functions available for one, ease of changing call sign, but the real reason I did the panel mount is that I wanted to be able to guarantee a direct bluetooth connection to the 345 since it offers a backup ADHRS. You might recall we've seen lots of post of G1000 users that had to install their 345R in the back and found out that the bluetooth connection to it was intermittent at best. Although the GTX-345 ADHRS is a distant backup after my main backup instrument (LSI-500) I still wanted to ensure I could connect to it easily if I lose my G500. I have it set up so that I am always connected to it and my FS-510.

19 hours ago, khedrei said:

BDF0DA0B-535C-46CB-A354-7FEC5D61E424.jpeg

20097D59-E98C-47A8-9D93-1B3EB8042FC2.jpeg

BDD81253-F96B-4734-9AF7-027516733F34.jpeg

I'd be very interested as well. And if you don't want to share the CAD file, just tell me who to contact at the metal shop to make another set of the hardware. :D

I have the same armrest on the pilots seat in my 252. But I removed it completely because the hardware is so worn that it was impossible to use the armrest.