GFC 500 Install Price

After getting a bid from a very reputable Avionics shop who has done 8 installs of the GFC 500 in other model airplanes, I am rethinking whether I really need a new wiz bang autopilot, and maybe I can stand a little wing rock in non GPSS modes.  My bids were in the very high 20s for a 3 servo install and the low 30s for the 4 servo install.  They said 110-120 hours labor depending on the 3 or 4 servo install and the rest for parts.  That certainly takes the air out of the balloon for me.   Even though I could afford it,  the cost benefit ratio just doesn't make sense for me at this time.  Maybe I can rationalize it later.

Has anyone else gotten any bids, yet?

• Like 1

That's in the ballpark of what I paid for a GFC600 install.  I suspect they don't want to do the job at this point.  My shop installed the servos in ~2 days; I would expect the GFC500 install to be about the same.  My plane was already disassembled, but still, your number is really high.  I would expect you to be in the 20K range for  4 servo install.

I'd get another quote.

3 minutes ago, donkaye said:

After getting a bid from a very reputable Avionics shop who has done 8 installs of the GFC 500 in other model airplanes, I am rethinking whether I really need a new wiz bang autopilot, and maybe I can stand a little wing rock in non GPSS modes.  My bids were in the very high 20s for a 3 servo install and the low 30s for the 4 servo install.  That certainly takes the air out of the balloon for me.   Even though I could afford it,  the cost benefit ratio just doesn't make sense for me at this time.  Maybe I can rationalize it later.

I emailed my shop a few days ago and haven’t heard back. Yours is probably higher because you need to have a g5/gad29 installed as well. So my guess is 12k for the g5/gad/3 servo gfc500 and 6-8k to install. 

14 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I emailed my shop a few days ago and haven’t heard back. Yours is probably higher because you need to have a g5/gad29 installed as well. So my guess is 12k for the g5/gad/3 servo gfc500 and 6-8k to install. 

You are close on the parts, but half on the high end for labor which was estimated at nearly 14,000.

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

Labor paid for a three-servo install in a Piper was 13ish, but that included installing two G5's. It took six weeks, and required a ton of back-and-forth with Garmin.

My shop is working on a price.  I was set to install the G500 TXi using the GAD 43e but after today's announcment, I am re-thinking the install in favor of the G3X + GFC500.  If their labor cost is in the neighborhood of $14,000, I doubt I will ripout my perfectly working KFC 150.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

My shop is working on a price.  I was set to install the G500 TXi using the GAD 43e but after today's announcment, I am re-thinking the install in favor of the G3X + GFC500.  If their labor cost is in the neighborhood of $14,000, I doubt I will ripout my perfectly working KFC 150.

You're a poster child of why introducing the G3X might not be such a great idea. :D If the hook was already in your mouth for the TXi, how much did Garmin leave on the table getting you to switch to the G3X? What they are banking on is a whole bunch of owners sitting on the sidelines stepping up to the G3X over an Aspen, their own G5 or those waiting for the Dynon. I don't think they expected Byran of MooneySpace to switch!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I called chandler Avionics, and they told me to expect to see around 40 hours for 3 servos and 50 hours for 4 servos. so 4 to 6K installed, depending on 3 or 4 servos.

Thank you.  I'll give them a call.

26 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Thank you.  I'll give them a call.

Planning on going under the knife in sept/oct. I’m really interested to hear your opinion on the yaw damper if you get into a shop earlier. 

Edited by MIm20c

Just got a couple of more California quotes.  They were worse than the 1st.  All over 30K and one with only 3 servos was 35K.  No one could even do it within 6 months except one and that was 2½ months out.  I need to look outside of California.

• Sad 1

You might want to wait till next year, ADSB deadline probably driving up prices.

Tom

There is one shop in my area that has open slots within a couple of months. He is charging considerably more for work than any of the other shops in the area. It’s clear his approach is to make just as much money but do a lot less work. It seems to be working because desperate ADS-B adopters are being told by the other shops they are booked out past November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Don.

The shop we are using is only booked about 6 weeks in advance.  Every time we want something installed we get several estimates and always end up using the same shop.  If you don't mind flying up to the Seattle area you might try giving them a call.

Spencer Aircraft at KPLU.  253-848-9349

Of course, at our costs of about $80/hour, you'll spend about $600 getting the plane up here and back.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

There is one shop in my area that has open slots within a couple of months. He is charging considerably more for work than any of the other shops in the area. It’s clear his approach is to make just as much money but do a lot less work. It seems to be working because desperate ADS-B adopters are being told by the other shops they are booked out past November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That shop is not the only one with that concept- I’ve had quotes from a few in this area that are clearly subscribing to that idea.  I think you’re right about the ADS-B rush... not sure how it will all play out post ADS-B installs though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marauder said:

I've seen at least one maintenance shop (i.e., not a radio repair station) that is heavily advertising ADS-B installs.  Seems likely that we'll see more and more of these as the traditional avionics shops get backed up and aircraft owners start getting paranoid about missing the 2020 deadline. 

Maybe it's beyond hope that A&Ps getting into the ADS-B install game will actually reduce some of the back pressure?

Here you go, from BeechTalk:

https://avionics-laf.com/collections/installation-specials/products/garmin-gfc500-autopilot-9-995-00-installed

They don’t include Mooney yet, but Bonanzas are a $1000 premium, and $3000 for each extra servo. So assuming Mooney requires same premium, $17000 for you. How does that compare?

Caveat: they are booked till May 2020.

Tom

This is just out of curiosity. Anyone down there look into coming up to Canada for a transponder install? My shop is a bit behind but I dont think much more than normal. And he doesnt gouge although I'm sure some Canadian shops might. 

Not sure on the legality and paperwork of having it done here but you will save a bit on labour given the exchange rate.