Game Changer from Garmin Today!!

4 hours ago, Niko182 said:

This doesn't bode well for Dynon

You still need an IFR certified GPS for the Dynon.   Fits perfectly into the system.    I would think the 15 year old technology 430W market is going to take a haircut.  Tempted to run out and buy one.... next month...  after I pay for the Fuel Servo OH

23 minutes ago, Bryan said:

They have it installed on a Grumman that they will have at Sun-n-Fun. Yes, it is certified. No idea what hoops they had to go thru but they have been the most successful avionics manufacturer to certify previously experimental products.

Clearly they have been successful.

I feel bad for Dynon as this completes jumps past the HDX project.  I wouldn't want to be Aspen right now either.

WOW - this is a game changer.

So G3x+GFC500 is the new "it" avionics.

• Like 2

Trek (Garmin) confirmed the G5 is a valid backup on the Beech thread. He has been answering questions over there all day, however, not read that anywhere official nor have I really sifted yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Trek (Garmin) confirmed the G5 is a valid backup on the Beech thread. He has been answering questions over there all day, however, not read that anywhere official nor have I really sifted yet.

The G3X maintenance manual says:

Standby attitude, airspeed, and altitude instruments are required if a G3X display unit is installed as the primary flight display (PFD) in IFR installations. The standby instruments may be a Garmin G5 or existing pneumatic instruments.

Edited by bdash
Link link
  • Like 1

Just now, bdash said:

The G3X maintenance manual says:

Standby attitude, airspeed, and altitude instruments are required if a G3X display unit is installed as the primary flight display (PFD) in IFR installations. The standby instruments may be a Garmin G5 or existing pneumatic instruments.

Good find!

Ha ha that was quick.   On the Garmin G3X touch web page   For complete IFR-approach compatibility, customers can pair the G3X Touch with a variety of Garmin GPS navigators and Nav/Comms, including the new GPS 175/GNX 375, GTN 650/750, GNS™ 430W/530W, GNS 480, SL 30/40, and GNC® 255.

15 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Also, the 10.6" unit is 10 grand while the experimental version is 3900$.  What's the deal with that

That is disappointing.  Dynon kept the prices the same.   Garmin is including the AHARS and outside air probe and I believe the EIS module for that price.  It also includes the STC.  See what kind of deals they offer at Sun & Fun

17 hours ago, M016576 said:

Indeed- the price is about half of what I was expecting.  Definitely taking a swing at Aspen-Touch screen, better looking display, bigger area... and cheaper.

unless aspen reprices their “Max” displays, they are about to lose a ton of business. 

Looks like Garmin is finally “getting it.”

Another option would be the GNX 375 with a Two G5's  and the 500 autopilot with autopilot control panel and an iPad for primary display using Garmin app on iPad  using  a quick connect flush mount.   knock off another 6 grand on the package.  When you are ready you can add a G3X touch down the road. 

On 3/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, tigers2007 said:

What a huge kick in the nuts for L3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant say I’m sad.  If you ever experienced the horrendous flat rate repair charges from L3, we should all drive them out of the GA business.  

And then support Mfg’s who are more reasonable.

Aerodon

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Aerodon said:

I cant say I’m sad.  If you ever experienced the horrendous flat rate repair charges from L3, we should all drive them out of the GA business.  

Aerodon

It’s hard for a company to have realistic pricing when they normally work with the deep pockets of the government.  But I agree and do fear the day when the skywatch and wx500 need to be serviced. 

14 hours ago, Aerodon said:

Aerodon

Does Garmin not have flat rate repair charges?  I paid a fat flat fee when my 430W had to go to their bench.

6 minutes ago, DingyHarry said:

I just ordered the GTX 375 in order to comply with the ADS-B requirement. Thought that you could use the 430W antenna but Garmin informed us that you must get a new one. Cost is $350 I believe.

Yep!  With Garmin it’s always something.

Interesting that there are still Garmin basher's out there. But without Garmin, where would the GA community be right now? Other than Aspen, there haven't been many offerings for upgrades over the past 20 years, and certainly nothing like we have seen with Garmin. How many of the basher's would have liked to depend on King all of these years to bring GA into the 21st century?

Yes they are closed, proprietary systems, true they have historically been expensive products, but prices have started to come down since introduction of the G5 and they offer great support, quality products and they stand behind them. And let's not forget the breadth of their product line, from digital autopilots to gyro free displays to portable Apps. They are to the early 21st century what King was during the early 80's.

Just as with PBS, if Garmin doesn't do it - who will?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Does Garmin not have flat rate repair charges?  I paid a fat flat fee when my 430W had to go to their bench.

In my view, Garmin's flat rate charges are affordable and spread far apart - not unusual to have no repairs in 10 years.  L3's charges are in the order of 50% of the original hardware cost.  And they are not embarrassed when the equipment fails after 67 hours TTSN (WX500) or a fails 13 months after the last repair (TR497).

What would the auto industry look like if you had to pay 25-50% of your car value for a 4 year old car.  

L3 made some nice stuff, and it was priced for the GA market at one stage.  But they don't make it easy to keep it working.  Why would you spend $5k fixing a TRC899 for the second time.  In fact why bother fixing it the first time when all it gets you is maybe another year or two?  Put that towards newer equipment that is more affordable to repair.  I put Honewell / Bendix King in the same category.

Having been directly exposed to both Honeywell and L3's ridiculous charges on older equipment - my solution is to cross them off my list.  I really liked the Lynx, but the only thing that stopped me from buying was my experience that these would not be easy to repair in 5 years time.  

Aerodon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Interesting that there are still Garmin basher's out there.

I think it may be like politics today.  There are Garmin bashers on one hand and Garmin sycophants on the other.  Luckily, most of us are somewhere in between. 

I remember when the FAA released the original GPS TSO document in the 1990s.  It was so complicated that people were estimating it would take 10 years for anyone to get a GPS navigator approved.  Then along came this odd, portable-GPS maker- Garmin- that got one certified before anybody else was even close.  It proved to be the death of Narco, and Bendix King has been struggling to keep up ever since.

But I'm also glad we have some competition today like Avidyne and Aspen.  It keeps Garmin from getting too big for their britches.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, Andy95W said:

I think it may be like politics today.  There are Garmin bashers on one hand and Garmin sycophants on the other.  Luckily, most of us are somewhere in between. 

I remember when the FAA released the original GPS TSO document in the 1990s.  It was so complicated that people were estimating it would take 10 years for anyone to get a GPS navigator approved.  Then along came this odd, portable-GPS maker- Garmin- that got one certified before anybody else was even close.  It proved to be the death of Narco, and Bendix King has been struggling to keep up ever since.

But I'm also glad we have some competition today like Avidyne and Aspen.  It keeps Garmin from getting too big for their britches.

They already are IMHO.  That said, they apparently are the only one investing enough bucks in R&D to obsolete their own products.  Like it or not, they’re the big dog.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nels said:

Do the advertised prices for the gps175 ($5k)and gnx375 ($8k) include tray and antenna and mounting hardware or is there another couple thousand hidden somewhere? Anybody get a quote for install on either?

Hi - we just got a quote for the GNX-375 and the $8k includes all parts.  It's broken out into two line items...  the 375, rack, backplate, conn kit, config module, datacard are $7643 and the antenna is $352, for a total of $7,995. 

Ross

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ross Taylor said:

Hi - we just got a quote for the GNX-375 and the $8k includes all parts.  It's broken out into two line items...  the 375, rack, backplate, conn kit, config module, datacard are $7643 and the antenna is $352, for a total of $7,995. 

Ross

Thanks, Ross. Any idea on install price?

• Like 1