Game Changer from Garmin Today!!

51 minutes ago, M016576 said:

I think Aspen will have to, now that these are available....

This does not bode well for them....and I'm a huge aspen fan.

They've been selling essentially the same unit for 11 years.  Yes it has SV and a faster processor and some other add-ons but it still the same too-small screen thats now faster and brighter. But still a single-product company.   It reminds me of the CEO of Motorola back in 2005, the RAZR phone was top of the market. They asked him, what next for Motorola?  "More RAZR's !".  ok, we saw how that turned out.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Steve W said:

There really seems like there is going to be a consolidation event with Aspen and Avidyne(my guess at least). Aspen has the displays, Avidyne the only other real WAAS GPS for GA. Avidyne sort of has an autopilot, but I'd guess Trio or TruTrak would fill that component.

Who is going to buy Who?  What would you pay for Aspen as a company right now?  Great product 10 years ago.  Now?  competing against the certified G3X?

If you were aspen, what story would you tell to raise capital to buy Avidyne?  If you're Avidyne, why would you buy Aspen?  These are both second tier companies (nothing wrong with that) in a very poor competitive position.  They have great products on a stand alone basis, but they're not integrated.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the technical side can correct me, but I suspect there isn't more opportunity for integration by putting the two companies together.

Dynon has room.  If they can get their STCs together there will be room for more players.  Dynon has an integrated system; integrating Avidyne navigators into Dynon Skyview would be interesting.

Aspen, JPI, EI, others- they're now in a very poor competitive position for any single engine piston airplane sales.  We'll see what happens for twins and other larger aircraft.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Also, the 10.6" unit is 10 grand while the experimental version is 3900$.  What's the deal with that

To be fair you need to add the $1500 LRU but it’s amazing how many aircraft they certified this for including an AP, EM, etc. 

Correct me if I am wrong but as cool as this looks, it won’t drive my KFC200, or any other non Garmin AP, in approach or GPSS modes according to the fine print. My Aspen can. They list all of the “compatible” autopilots but all have a little superscript ‘1’ beside them except the G500. Then this:

¹G3X Touch will not support display of flight director (FD), autopilot modes or annunciations for non-Garmin autopilots. Consult your Authorized Garmin Dealer for more details.

7 minutes ago, squeaky.stow said:

Correct me if I am wrong but as cool as this looks, it won’t drive my KFC200, or any other non Garmin AP, in approach or GPSS modes according to the fine print. My Aspen can. They list all of the “compatible” autopilots but all have a little superscript ‘1’ beside them except the G500. Then this:

¹G3X Touch will not support display of flight director (FD), autopilot modes or annunciations for non-Garmin autopilots. Consult your Authorized Garmin Dealer for more details.

It's the same as the G5, your autopilot can fly exactly what it can now+GPSS(with the GAD29b) but none of the stuff on the autopilot will be displayed on the G3x(FD, modes, etc) and none can be controlled from the G3x(except a heading bug), since your KFC currently requires an attitude indicator it will still need that installed. Unless you upgrade to the G500Txi and its interface box GAD43e.

1 minute ago, toto said:

I haven't read everything yet - is the GAD43e not compatible with the G3X?

There has been no announcements I have seen that it is compatible. You would think they might make that work, but it doesn't look that way.

Unfortunately that would be a show-stopper for me. My Aspen with EA100 has Flight Director, GPSS, full ILS or GNSS approach guidance through my KFC.

As much as I would like to get rid of the steam gauges and go to a 10” display, I am not willing to give those features up to get it. Looks like the TXI is still the only alternative, so I think Aspen is still safe for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smccray said:

Who is going to buy Who?  What would you pay for Aspen as a company right now?  Great product 10 years ago.  Now?  competing against the certified G3X?

If you were aspen, what story would you tell to raise capital to buy Avidyne?  If you're Avidyne, why would you buy Aspen?  These are both second tier companies (nothing wrong with that) in a very poor competitive position.  They have great products on a stand alone basis, but they're not integrated.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the technical side can correct me, but I suspect there isn't more opportunity for integration by putting the two companies together.

Dynon has room.  If they can get their STCs together there will be room for more players.  Dynon has an integrated system; integrating Avidyne navigators into Dynon Skyview would be interesting.

Aspen, JPI, EI, others- they're now in a very poor competitive position for any single engine piston airplane sales.  We'll see what happens for twins and other larger aircraft.

I spent most of my career in software technology companies.  I learned that the only way you can survive and thrive is to develop at a rate such that you are obsoleting your own products with your new products.  If you are not obsoleting them yourself, a competitor will.

• Like 6

I spent most of my career in software technology companies.  I learned that the only way you can survive and thrive is to develop at a rate such that you are obsoleting your own products with your new products.  If you are not obsoleting them yourself, a competitor will.

I agree yet people still buy the 430/530’s as if they’re the latest rage in avionics. So what if big Garmin announces next week that the 430/530 will be unsupported in one year? Mass hysteria? I think many folks would move to newer equipment at a much faster rate. It’s only a matter of time. I really wonder what it really costs Garmin to overhaul those 20-year old navigators? Will they role out the Pareto sales model and kill off the legacy stuff ASAP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

I agree yet people still buy the 430/530’s as if they’re the latest rage in avionics. So what if big Garmin announces next week that the 430/530 will be unsupported in one year? Mass hysteria? I think many folks would move to newer equipment at a much faster rate. It’s only a matter of time. I really wonder what it really costs Garmin to overhaul those 20-year old navigators? Will they role out the Pareto sales model and kill off the legacy stuff ASAP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure hope not, but if they do, I won’t replace with Garmin.

To add to my product development comments, Even though a company is obsoleting their own products, They must support their legacy products to maintain customer confidence.

WOW - this is the killer app indeed.

So I already have a GTN650.  And some old nav com's also.

A GNX 375 would be a nice addition.

AND a G3x to drive a GFC500.  WOW - what an all new avionics group that would be.

So 10k for the G3X vs 5.5k for G5x2.  That makes sense.  How much do we guess this would be all in?

30 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Here is the AML for the G3X Touch for us.  Basically every non-G1000 Mooney.
M20, M20A, M20B, M20C, M20D, M20E, M20F, M20G, M20J, M20K, M20L, M20M, M20R, M20S

Where did you find that?  It is certified now for these (my) Mooney?

Wow that is very impressive  - Garmin secures its dominance. It's  a great time for folks with a truly antiquated panel to go down the upgrade path with these impressive new offerings. I wish I were doing my major panel upgrade now as opposed to ~4 years ago.  But with what I have, it still makes sense for me to upgrade my Aspen pfd for 2k now.  I do hope the little guys like Aspen and Avidyne have something up their sleeve to avoid obsolescence.  But sadly Garmin may never need to play ball with someone else's hardware again.  

• Like 1

Two limitations I see with the G3X vs the G500 as it currently stands:

• The GAD43 autopilot adapter does not appear to be supported by the G3X, meaning that folks with attitude-based autopilots such as the KFC 150 will need to keep their vacuum-driven attitude indicator to drive their autopilot.
  • The GDL88 is not supported by the G3X, meaning traffic and weather will not be displayed on the G3X.

19 minutes ago, bdash said:

Two limitations I see with the G3X vs the G500 as it currently stands:

• The GAD43 autopilot adapter does not appear to be supported by the G3X, meaning that folks with attitude-based autopilots such as the KFC 150 will need to keep their vacuum-driven attitude indicator to drive their autopilot.
  • The GDL88 is not supported by the G3X, meaning traffic and weather will not be displayed on the G3X.

Pretty sure it can get it from gtx345 or the gnx375. I saw on the video of the g3x of it showing traffic.

Pretty sure it can get it from gtx345 or the gnx375. I saw on the video of the g3x of it showing traffic.

You’re correct. It’s specifically the GDL88 that the installation manual calls out as being incompatible. It does note that a GDL 88 can continue to provide weather and traffic to GTN units, it just won’t appear on the G3X.

1 minute ago, aviatoreb said:

Wow - very impressive.  So they certified this secretly?

Was this a certification by paper work or did they do in flight testing.

They have it installed on a Grumman that they will have at Sun-n-Fun. Yes, it is certified. No idea what hoops they had to go thru but they have been the most successful avionics manufacturer to certify previously experimental products.