Ovation Ferry from UK

JT

Hi All,

I've been quietly hanging in the background here sponging in all the great info on MS while putting together the right deal on a Mooney. It finally happened, a 2004 Ovation. It's the perfect Mooney for us and thanks to Steven L757 for his invaluable guidance and for connecting me with Brian Kendrick who did a meticulous pre buy and annual on the plane. So the plane is in the UK and I'm trying to sort the best way to get it back here. Insurance requires experience in North Atlantic crossing and 25 hrs make and model. I know some of you have multiple crossings. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by JT
mis-spell

1 hour ago, JT said:

Hi All,

I've been quietly hanging in the background here sponging in all the great info on MS while putting together the right deal on a Mooney. It finally happened, a 2004 Ovation. It's the perfect Mooney for us and thanks to Steven L757 for his invaluable guidance and for connecting me with Brian Kendrick who did a meticulous pre buy and annual on the plane. So the plane is in the UK and I'm trying to sort the best way to get it back here. Insurance requires experience in North Atlantic crossing and 25 hrs make and model. I know some of you have multiple crossings. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Did Brian get a free trip to the UK out of that deal?

6 hours ago, JT said:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Jim

Search Gilles Glatz on Linked in, he delivers several planes per month from Europe.  He’s delivered a few for clients of mine.

Clarence

It's a shame not to fly it across yourself. Coming back from Europe was the second-best trip I ever made in N315L. Going to Europe was the best.

I realize you'd need a lot of hours to feel comfortable taking such a trip, but . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

See the posts from @flumag... His Mooney Crosses the pond between Europe and Boston...

StevenL is a great resource for the Mooney and the O!  And the 310hp Continental Engine!

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks Anthony- we've been in touch.

7 hours ago, Flash said:

It's a shame not to fly it across yourself. Coming back from Europe was the second-best trip I ever made in N315L. Going to Europe was the best.

I realize you'd need a lot of hours to feel comfortable taking such a trip, but . . .

Unfortunately, comfort is not a factor. Insurance requirements are though. 

Here is a workaround for the insurance requirements:

1. Get your US insurance. This covers all North America including Canadian airspace.

2. Get a (short term) EU insurance. These have worldwide coverage excluding North America.

The combination of both covers the ferry flight. The EU insurance is affordable and has very high liability coverage  (I remember €5M?)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Flash said:

I would be interested  to hear more... and I'm sure the others as well.

What are the insurance requirements for the trip, etc.

Thanks.

Here is a workaround for the insurance requirements:
1. Get your US insurance. This covers all North America including Canadian airspace.
2. Get a (short term) EU insurance. These have worldwide coverage excluding North America.
The combination of both covers the ferry flight. The EU insurance is affordable and has very high liability coverage  (I remember €5M?)

Do you get this EU insurance through a US based agency (AOPA?) or do you need to contact an EU insurance agent?

Tom

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Do you get this EU insurance through a US based agency (AOPA?) or do you need to contact an EU insurance agent?

Tom

Hi Tom

EMPOA, the European Mooney Association offers a fleet rate for Mooney’s.

https://www.empoa.eu/index.php/en/empoa-flottenversicherung.html

Easy process. Happy to share contact details through PM.

Peter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N131MA said:

Hi Tom

EMPOA, the European Mooney Association offers a fleet rate for Mooney’s.

https://www.empoa.eu/index.php/en/empoa-flottenversicherung.html

Easy process. Happy to share contact details through PM.

Peter

Thanks for this Peter- EMOPA site says owner must be European resident. Am I missing something?

Jim

Jim 

I believe I was insured through them with an US residence some years ago. I suggest to call and discuss your situation with the agent. When I talked to him he was competent and engaged to find a solution.

Peter

• Like 1

Remember third party insurance is mandatory in the EU (and the UK!), so you must get something to cover at least the first part of your flight, and don't forget the Search & Rescue element too!

Heartily recommend the EMPOA insurer - they're who I am with, and they are very helpful on the phone and via e-mail

EU Insurance tends to be in SDR - Special Drawing Rights - which is a basket of currencies. If the aircraft is currently on the G-register, you can look up the minimum and recommended insurance level via G-INFO

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N131MA said:

Jim 

I believe I was insured through them with an US residence some years ago. I suggest to call and discuss your situation with the agent. When I talked to him he was competent and engaged to find a solution.

Peter

Thanks Peter- I'm in touch with them.

Jim

• 2 months later...

Hi Tom,

I used a pilot named Hans Molbak, He's from Denmark, 20,000+ hrs with over 100 North Atlantic crossings, grew up in Greenland, currently flies Phenom lets for Net Jets in Europe, and is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. The guys at Shipping and Airlines at Biggin Hill connected us.  There are many factors that delayed the flight, but it was mostly the weather over the northern route. If anyone ever needs a ferry pilot, I can share his contact if you PM me. 

Of course the plane is fabulous.

Jim

• Like 1