On the home stretch

Morning to all,  It has been a grueling 11 months, set backs and the learning curve have been steep.  There is nothing similar between the rules of DOT and the FAA except the government is warped in both organizations and common sense is tossed when dealing with them.  I adapted, I have a very bloody tongue from biting it on more than one occasion, and a profound love for the people who work on the mechanical birds that sore above us.  It took two years of pure hell and a lot of wasted money to finally find and AP/IA in ND that understands GA and knows how to balance the new with the old and create a harmony between them without condemning the vintage to the scrap yards because its not composite, shiny, and new. 

N3510X will once again take to the skies.  It is getting its last MOD this week.  Installing the Garmin 335 for ADSB out and then it gets the final inspection.  From prop to tail and wingtip to wingtip every needed repair has been made.  Some out of necessity others for peace of mind but all done to remove the sins of the past and breathe life into the soul of the craft to make it a useable machine. 

The old adage that a Mooney is not yours till it draws blood is so true I own it outright and it owns me by several scars and pints of blood.  Bladders suck to do but many kudos to Griggs Aviation they are top notch and guided and helped the whole way.  Wiring a panel is a whole other learning curve.  Those avionics techs (the good ones) are bad ass.  I thought wiring a semi truck for GPS and stereo was time consuming and precise.  There is no comparison. 

I'd like to say thank you to @Aerodon for all the phone calls, information, equipment that he has provided.  His knowledge and patience is above anyone I have ever had the privilege to know.  Without his help the plane would have never seen the light of day again!  Wiring neatly and installing equipment is really easy.  Getting everything to communicate and like each other is a whole different story.  I can honestly say the project never would have been without Don.  Thank you.

This forum has given me countless hours of reading and learning and allowed me to filter good from bad.  From advice from a surprise ramp check to the dealings with crooked repair shops.  This site is a needed accessory to owning a Mooney no matter what the model or the year.   There are to many people to thank but if I have spoken to you via phone, message, or forum please know I really appreciated the help  you guys have given to make this possible.   Doing the work was easy having the information and the ideas and the knowledge to share was where you guys shined.  Thank you.

Pictures will follow in the next few days as I start to button up the panel and install the interior.  It has been a crazy journey and one I hope to never repeat.  I look forward to flying and maybe one day meeting some of the great people on this forum. 

As for people asking if buying a vintage bird is worth it the answer is only you can answer that.  If money is the issue then owning a plane is not for you.  Nothing is cheap, nothing is planned, and there is always a surprise. 

Joe

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Fuel Servo Overhaul prison day 29.   Last call said I was next on the chopping block.

I feel your pain. I dropped my C off for annual [18 hours labor] the last week of Jan. on Mon., 4 Jan., I agreed to another 5-6 hours labor, mostly in 1/4 hour increments, to tidy up some loose ends that my new IA found. I'm still waiting for a completion date . . . . Our last conversation was on Wednesday . . . .

40 minutes ago, Hank said:

I feel your pain. I dropped my C off for annual [18 hours labor] the last week of Jan. on Mon., 4 Jan., I agreed to another 5-6 hours labor, mostly in 1/4 hour increments, to tidy up some loose ends that my new IA found. I'm still waiting for a completion date . . . . Our last conversation was on Wednesday . . . .

One of my buddies who is an A&P and flys for a major said "It's kind of hard to get excited about an asset that spends 3 out of 12 months in the shop"

16 hours ago, Hank said:

:(  That's slooow.   If you think to, please let me know who that is, and how it turns out when finally done.   I'm going to have to find a new person/shop to do my next annual in Dec.