Mooney M20F for rent

We have a 1967 Mooney M20F Executive for rent in North Texas.  The aircraft is located at Fort Worth Meacham Airport (KFTW).  This aircraft has the classic Johnson bar and you will need to be checked out in it by one of our instructors in order to rent it.  The rental fee is $180 an hour wet for the first 10 hours and $200 an hour wet after the first 10 hours.  It has a 430 WAAS with an optional Garmin 796 and Stratus for a an additional flat fee per rental.  Drop me a line if interested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJMac said:

I won't be a renter so you can ignore my question if you want. But am curious why the rate increases $20 / hr after the first 10 hrs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's  the same strategy as the corner drug dealer give you a few hits to get you hooked.:o:D

Maybe that gives you a little brake when getting checked out by their instructors.

While I have my own F this is a serous question to the OP though.  What is the policy for overnight and extend trips?

Welcome aboard Zulu

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I won't be a renter so you can ignore my question if you want. But am curious why the rate increases $20 / hr after the first 10 hrs?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Probably a break for the 10 hours needed for their insurance requirement to be met.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chriscalandro said:

That should make the rent go down...  This seems incredibly high of a rate. 

I don't think it's totally out of line.  What is the all-in cost per hour of operating the plane, including fuel, insurance, maintenance and engine overhaul reserve?  You also have to make a profit as the owner.  Here in Memphis, a 182RG can be rented for about the same price.  A 182 with a G1000 goes for $220 per hour wet.

• Like 3

That should make the rent go down...  This seems incredibly high of a rate. 

Think of the $10 per hour reduction as way to offset their normal rental rate while you fly the X number of hours required to satisfy their insurance requirement. It’s X number of hours plus an instructor to get their insurance to accept you as a risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

All these are very good questions, I am glad to see the plane is generating interest and stirring discussion.  Marauder, I won't ever ignore anyone's question.  You may not be a potential client, but there maybe one out there who is that is wondering the same question.  To answer all the questions above:

(1)  The $180 rate for the first 10 hours is to generate both interest in trying the plane out (the corner drug dealer strategy to which 1964-M20E referenced) and to give pilots a break if they need to get instruction with a CFI to get checked off to fly the aircraft.  Everyone will need to do a check ride and get checked out by our CFI to be covered by the insurance, but one will need about 10 hours with an instructor (depending on their overall flying experience) to get time in model to be covered by the insurance if they do not have any Mooney M20 hours logged.  Those with Mooney experience will probably only need an hour check ride.

(2)  We encourage overnight and extended trips.  That was one of the reasons we started this rental company.  Before we purchased an airplane, we were finding it very difficult to find an aircraft we could rent for a weekend trip, especially one at an affordable price.  Most wanted a four to five hour minimum and I wasn't going to pay $800 - $1,000 just for the plane to sit on the ramp for a Saturday.  I get it, the owner has to get something since the plane is unavailable to rent, but let's get serious!  So we came up with the formula below:

Type of Rate  Minimum Daily Rate   Hobb Rate 
Introductory Rate 400.00 180.00
Regular Rate 450.00

The way this works, if you rent the plane Friday evening and bring it back Sunday afternoon, you will either pay the $200 per Hobb hour that the plane flies or $1,350 for the three days that it was checked out, which ever is greater.  For example, we took the plane to visit my dad in northern Alabama, a four hour flight from Fort Worth.  We left on Friday and returned on Sunday.  If we were a renter, we would have only paid the $1,600 for the 8 Hobb hours ($200 x the 8 hour round trip flight), since the Minimum Daily Rate would be $1,350 for those three days ($450 * 3 days - partial days are counted as full days).  So we would have been able to use the aircraft and let it sit on the ramp in Alabama on that Saturday at no additional charge, how awesome is that!.  Now if we had taken the plane on Wednesday and returned it on Sunday during the Thanksgiving break, we would have paid the $2,250 for the 5 days at the daily minimum rate of $450 per day ($450 X 5 = $2,250).  With this scenario, the Hobb hours are included in the rental and the renter is just paying by the day.

(3)  Please keep in mind that this is a wet rate.  We reimburse for fuel up to $5.25 per gallon.  There aren't many other rental aircraft out there to which we can compare this plane (this isn't a 172), but from what our research indicates, we are pretty competitive for a complex plane with a 200hp engine.  Like Rwsavory pointed out, there is a 182 for $220 a Hobb hour in Memphis and here in north Texas, there is a Comanche 250 that rents for $225 an hour wet, so we feel pretty confident that we are offering this aircraft at a fair and competitive rate, not to mention that this is a Mooney!

(4)  We are currently working on getting a website up and will post the URL on this thread as soon as it is ready.

Here are some pictures:

image.png.6022dc69d4bbddcf42a31908e11ee1b6.png

image.thumb.png.909667d660e8dc81a7583e0e4b0efba0.pngimage.thumb.png.50cfe3cb98f690e8ab9203bf0c1efb1b.pngimage.thumb.png.13a4ff9d9a9a91ffb30b7cf91999e42b.png

image.png

Edited by Zulu Aviation
  • Like 2

If you have a good/experienced Mooney CFII you might consider offering accelerated Mooney transition training for prospective owners that don't have Mooney time. I'm thinking where they can come to town for 2-3 days and knock it out. Maybe in conjunction with a flight review, IPC, etc as needed.

We get questions every now and then from folks looking for rental Mooneys for this kind of thing.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

We have partnered with a CFII who owns a Mooney M20E and has over 300 hours in Mooney's.  We can certainly offer that level of training.  Our CFI is the one who did the complex endorsement for my son and transitioned him from a 172 to the Mooney.

• Like 1

That's an excellent deal. I put around 1100 hours on my M20F over six years. If I figure $50/hr for fuel, $40/hr for storage (hangars cost $6600/yr here), another $30/hr for the engine R&R, $17 for misc maintenance and annuals over the years and $8/hr for insurance, my M20F cost me $145/hr to own and operate. Add in the purchase price, which I'd get back out and I'd be at about what the original poster is charging for rent. Ownership gives me the ability to walk down to the airport and take it up whenever I want. 

Make sure that when you're training that you teach the fingernail check to ensure the Johnson bar is secure for gear down, and to give it a twist at the bottom to ensure it's up. Having the bar come detached and drop the gear in flight can get the pilot's attention, especially if they're engaged in mile high activities and sitting between the seats. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Captnmack said:

I’ve seen this advertised before and saw this F last week when I dropped off a Propeller at the shop. I will probably go get checked out while mine is in pieces!

We would love to have you come check us out!

• 8 months later...