Cloud Ahoy & Garmin Pilot

I am about to cancel my Cloud Ahoy subscription. The app is at least amusing if I turn on the app to record a flight real time but if I do not think to do that importing flights from Garmin Pilot is a mystery and almost every flight gets truncated in some manner. 

Am I missing something?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I am about to cancel my Cloud Ahoy subscription. The app is at least amusing if I turn on the app to record a flight real time but if I do not think to do that importing flights from Garmin Pilot is a mystery and almost every flight gets truncated in some manner. 

Am I missing something?

I get the same... importing from ForeFlight. I wish it would run on my iPhone and then let me view the data and the flight on my iPad later. There's just too much going on, on the iPad and I usually forget to record the flight in Cloud Ahoy. But when I want to test my ability at a max performance takeoff or a short field landing, nothing records it quite as well as Cloud Ahoy.

I try to run CloudAhoy separately from everything else... added to a checklist of electronic things at the beginning and end of the flight...

I believe it may collect the data with or without the subscription for some time renewing the subscription will fill in the saved data... details.

There is some basic level of operation without the subscription.  Basic log functions... where and time of flight.

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

I try to run CloudAhoy separately from everything else... added to a checklist of electronic things at the beginning and end of the flight...

I believe it may collect the data with or without the subscription for some time renewing the subscription will fill in the saved data... details.

There is some basic level of operation without the subscription.  Basic log functions... where and time of flight.

Best regards,

-a-

My EDM900 uploaded to SavvyAnalysis gives me a log of where and flight time.

I don't have Pilot but in ForeFlight exporting the KML to Cloud Ahoy (rather than importing from) is as simple as sharing anything from any app with another app. Touch the "share" icon and choose the app to copy to, open with, attach to... Does Pilot "share" its track logs?

14_upload_share_playlist_import_data_fil

5 hours ago, elimansour said:

I’ve never had any issue uploading KML files from Foreflight.  Which iPad are you using? Only issue I’ve had is when I forget to put the iPad in flight mode, ForeFlight will crash and I lose the whole track.  

I have a 128 GB model MR752LL/A full sized, less than 2 year old IPad. I run Garmin Pilot on it during the flight with the IPad communicating with GTN via Connext. The flights are recorded by Pilot and accessible from the Pilot Logbook. According to the CloudAhoy app I should be able to import directly from another app, e.g. GPilot, on the same IOS device.   

51 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

I have a 128 GB model MR752LL/A full sized, less than 2 year old IPad. I run Garmin Pilot on it during the flight with the IPad communicating with GTN via Connext. The flights are recorded by Pilot and accessible from the Pilot Logbook. According to the CloudAhoy app I should be able to import directly from another app, e.g. GPilot, on the same IOS device.   

Just checking. Have you followed Cloud Ahoy's Garmin Pilot instructions and still getting no joy? This is from the app's help system.

E65EF8F0-90DE-4688-97FA-598AE3CCB11E.thumb.png.c9abcbdcef1009f45004848abf53ba35.png

17 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Just checking. Have you followed Cloud Ahoy's Garmin Pilot instructions and still getting no joy? This is from the app's help system.

E65EF8F0-90DE-4688-97FA-598AE3CCB11E.thumb.png.c9abcbdcef1009f45004848abf53ba35.png

Yes and yes. At least I think so. The logbook settings page does not look exactly like the help page above but the "automatically generate logbook entries" and the "flight track logging" lines are both "on" as are anything else that looks needed. 

I just change a couple of setting to match the help doc. One was to merge legs into single entry and the other was to turn off stream flight data log in-flight via connext. Can't imagine that's the issue... 

I have never used it but I have heard there are some pretty nifty things you can do with it.

However,  my Ifly 740 will tack my flights if I want, I can go to Flight Aware to see my flights and I'm sure I could track my flights with my Avidyne IFD540 as well.

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Your hardware should be more than adequate to run the EFB software and to support an export onto CloudAhoy.  Maybe it’s a Pilot issue?   Sorry, I am not too familiar with Pilot’s export functionality.  

8 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

I have never used it but I have heard there are some pretty nifty things you can do with it.

However,  my Ifly 740 will tack my flights if I want, I can go to Flight Aware to see my flights and I'm sure I could track my flights with my Avidyne IFD540 as well.

Cloud Ahoy is intended for debriefing, not merely tracking. So the KML data it uses includes altitudes, groundspeed, not just track. Then it does something - I think it involves weather data, to come up with indicated, ground, and true airspeeds. It also recongizes such things as instrument approaches, steep turns, ground reference maneuvers, etc and helps focus on them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yes and yes. At least I think so. The logbook settings page does not look exactly like the help page above but the "automatically generate logbook entries" and the "flight track logging" lines are both "on" as are anything else that looks needed. 

I just change a couple of setting to match the help doc. One was to merge legs into single entry and the other was to turn off stream flight data log in-flight via connext. Can't imagine that's the issue... 

Hope you find the answer. 

• Like 1