406 ELT what does everyone like these days

M20F

2 hours ago, OR75 said:

The transponder antenna is in the belly but an ELT antenna would but on top .... so .... 

I am installing a GTX345R which goes in the tail so everything comes off to wire that.  I am just looking to add the wiring for a future ELT in the process. 

I have an ACK-04 and like it.   The audible alert in the cockpit is very useful as mine has gone off on its own a couple of times and that let me know right away.   Once it was on takeoff, and once on a not particularly bad landing.   I suspect it's sensitive to certain motion or something as both times surprised me that it went off.   It's easy enough to reset it with the panel remote.

The avionics shop set it off inadvertently once and I got a call at home from the Air Force, so the system works that way, too.  ;)

Mine is wired to the GPS and I really do like knowing that I have that additional layer of survivability help in the event things go badly.

• Like 1

I have the Kannad Integra. It’s wired to my GTN 750  so it will transmit my position when activated. Additionally, it has its own internal GPS receiver and fold out 121.5/406 antenna. God forbid you went down and the ships antenna or cable was damaged, or for some reason you had to abandon the aircraft,  you can easily remove the ELT from its bracket and still have a fully functional device transmitting your position within about 100 meters. Another plus is that they claim its waterproof. 

Thankfully, I haven’t had to test any of the features. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

Does the ACK E-04 come with a portable antenna? I found the G400BN 10 Inch Tuf Duck Style Base Loaded 1/2 Wave Antenna for $18.95 but you have to purchase ten of them.

I don't think that it does, doesn't show it on the attached pdf.

I'll have to take a look tomorrow to confirm this.

E-04.pdf