beacon light drag

I have a ‘64 as well. The previous owner remove the belly beacon twenty years ago and installed the tip strobes. Switching the flash mode from simultaneous to alternating almost doubled the brightness. A true CB maneuver would be to install a used set of strobes from an MSr who is upgrading to the very pricey LED’s.

Aero-Lites has a 15% off coupon for their LED nav and tail lights (non flashing). What is your budget? I’d install an LED beacon, get used tip strobes, and do the LED bulb upgrades. $600 beacon +$150 used strobe kit +$115 LED nav bulbs versus God knows for Orion’s. Save a thousand and get better lighting IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PilotCoyote said:

Hmmm.....mine is a ‘64 and has a belly beacon only- and no evidence of it ever having anything else from the factory. I suppose a tall beacon on the tail boom belly will meet the 30 degree requirement..?

Read through the rules carefully. Depends on year of your airplane and type of lights.  If you get 360 degrees and proper elevation with just wingtip strobes, then you don’t need any other beacon or strobes. Just nav lights.

5 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Read through the rules carefully. Depends on year of your airplane and type of lights.  If you get 360 degrees and proper elevation with just wingtip strobes, then you don’t need any other beacon or strobes. Just nav lights.

Yes and no.  Ultimately, the airplane was certified for day and night operation under CAR3 by the FAA.  That right there makes it legal.

16 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Yes and no.  Ultimately, the airplane was certified for day and night operation under CAR3 by the FAA.  That right there makes it legal.

Yep, agree with that as long as you kept the original lighting.  If you wanna change (like adding LED strobes), I was thinking this is the guidance to follow based on year of airplane.

7F773288-C2EB-4891-940B-745A36867863.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Yep, agree with that as long as you kept the original lighting.  If you wanna change (like adding LED strobes), I was thinking this is the guidance to follow based on year of airplane.

Why would changing the light bulbs alter the visibility requirements? Putting more lights on the plane is good for safety; raising the bar for lights installed on my plane discourages me from adding them, so is anti-safety.

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Why would changing the light bulbs alter the visibility requirements? Putting more lights on the plane is good for safety; raising the bar for lights installed on my plane discourages me from adding them, so is anti-safety.

My bad, could have made it more clear... if you want to change the original config by removing the beacon, then there’s the guidance. If you wanna change bulbs or whatever, within the same configuration, have at it!

• Like 1